Coopers Community

BOTTLES !

Polarian

well if ya got time for one...ya may as well have two...so do longnecks[biggrin]

I would, but given my line of work as a heavy vehicle driver I have to watch what I drink, hence why I only have one stubbie after work. I make my beers reasonably strong between 5% and 6% ABV most of the time. However, if I have the next day off it's no worries. [lol]

Just started to move away from PET myself. Bought a minikeg system and 2doz 750ml Swing Top bottles (bout $2.50ea)going to buy another 2doz... just wasn't wanting to stuff around capping atm (also a chef and just took over a place so pretty time poor atm)

Regarding glass vs plastic...

Which of these do you think would taste better?

cola_bottles.jpg

It's the same liquid in 3 different packages. My gut instinct would be to reach for the glass bottle.

Coke say there's no difference, but food technologists say otherwise:

http://bloginabottle.com/health/does-your-coke-taste-any-different-in-glass-plastic-or-tin.html

I prefer coke in glass bottles or cans. Preferably glass bottles. But, that's because I drink it straight from the container I buy it in. If I pour into a glass it tastes the same regardless of what it came from.

I still can't quite get my head around putting beer into plastic bottles though. [lol]

Just started to move away from PET myself. Bought a minikeg system and 2doz 750ml Swing Top bottles (bout $2.50ea)going to buy another 2doz... just wasn't wanting to stuff around capping atm (also a chef and just took over a place so pretty time poor atm)

How are the mini kegs working for you?

actually cuts down "bottling" time a fair bit.... keeps pretty well carbed and is a really convenient size (5lt) for portability. For around $200 I'm pretty happy and considering buying more "Kegs"

i used to use a piece of surgical hose and go from bottle to bottle...it was a dirt floor shed though and to be honest ill stick with the bottle wands..waaaaaay less mess.

I sometimes use a hose with the bottling wand attached but find that the spigot seems to fall off when I pull the wand out of the bottle and then beer goes everywhere - Probably just being careless. I find it easier to put my FV on a milk on the bench so that I can comfortably stand up straight and bottle away.

As for plastic bottles, I too used to pooh pooh them but I was misguided and have now seen the light. I'm more about quality than perception [biggrin]

i used to use a piece of surgical hose and go from bottle to bottle...it was a dirt floor shed though and to be honest ill stick with the bottle wands..waaaaaay less mess.

I sometimes use a hose with the bottling wand attached but find that the spigot seems to fall off when I pull the wand out of the bottle and then beer goes everywhere - Probably just being careless. I find it easier to put my FV on a milk on the bench so that I can comfortably stand up straight and bottle away.

As for plastic bottles, I too used to pooh pooh them but I was misguided and have now seen the light. I'm more about quality than perception [biggrin]

i had a disastrous day with the wands falling apart one day so i now have mine superglued together..i just rinse and throw the entire wand in the sanitiser at the end...i figure thats the easiest way to stop beer going everywhere...itsw a PITA

I'd say most of the reason I don't use PETS is because I'd rather buy the bottles with beer in them so I get the beer and the bottle.. [lol]

I built up my PET collection in the 90's by drinking Carlton Cold and Hahn Ice in plastic bottles [innocent]

Nah, that's just wrong and it isn't funny to joke about [biggrin]

Aren't aluminium cans lines with some sort of plastic stuff, and the good health experts (i.e. the ones that don't take bribes from the interested parties) say that they leech into the liquid inside. BPA

Here's some information. This is the second time in a week I've looked at that website - never looked at it before, and unfortunately the content may be dismissed now due to the actions of one person....

Aren't aluminium cans lines with some sort of plastic stuff, and the good health experts (i.e. the ones that don't take bribes from the interested parties) say that they leech into the liquid inside. BPA

Here's some information. This is the second time in a week I've looked at that website - never looked at it before, and unfortunately the content may be dismissed now due to the actions of one person....

i used to worj for a can making factory and they were making beer cans they used to line the cans with a coating of a special lacquer. not sure what they7 would use these days

Lacquer is different to the plastic lining Adam is referring to. There's lacquer on glass bottles too. This is why they bounce if you drop them bottom first onto the ground. However, you can only do this once because it breaks the lacquer. I used to drop them from my veranda into the recycling bin on the ground about 3m below and they never once shattered.

I thought those types of food cans were tin rather than aluminium anyway. There's certainly no plastic lining inside aluminium drink cans.
if the can isn't lined it can be bad for the aluminium which then dissolves into whatever is in the can.

What exactly is the difference between "aluminum" and aluminium?
that extra "i" is pretty hard to say [lol]

[rightful] Glass bottles (well Coopers brand at least) do not have a lining.

[rightful] Amber glass helps to reduce the effects of light strike but does not prevent it.

[rightful] Our aluminium cans are lined with water-based epoxy.

[rightful] Coopers recommend these bottles for DIY Beer

[biggrin]

Archived