Coopers Community

She meant well...

Waxey Gordon

Hi folks,

I'm yet another lad who was lucky enough to get a home brew kit for Chrissy.

Put the first one down no problems, despite the high summer temps (fermented at 26-28 degrees), it tasted, well, drinkable and inspired me to aim for greater things. So i bought myself a brew fridge and ordered an STC1000.

So I've got the fridge setup but still waiting on the STC1000 so I thought I'd laid down a Mexican Cerveza kit I had laying around. Put the FV in the fridge but not turned on as I assumed it would probably be cooler in there than ambient.

Temp was still about 26 degrees over 5 days and the SG seemed to have settled at 1011 for two consecutive days but thought I'd let it go another day just to make sure.

I got home from work and ducked into the shed to check up on the brew and the temp sticker wasn't reading anything. "That's strange" I thought to myself. There's beads of condensation on the outside of the FV, "that's even stranger" I mused. I placed my hand on the FV and its supper chilled. "Oh cr@p" I muttered out loud.

The good wife had passed by and notice that my new fridge had been left off and helpfully turn it on for me.

The SG was still 1011. I let it sit another day to get back to ambient (26 degrees) and the SG was still 1011.

Question, is this ruined, stalled, or maybe salvageable???

Thanks guys. Its been awesome reading through the endless pages of great tips,advice and banter.

Hello Gordon and welcome to the forum and home brewing

5 days at 26'C, if you used the kit yeast I reckon that it would have fermented out. You don't mention the ingredients, if it was 1 kg of sugar or dextrose then it should have finished lower, however if it was a kilo of BE1 then 1.011 isn't far off.

SWMBO has effectively cold crashed your brew for you, she is using advanced brewing techniques and therefore you should keep her on [biggrin].

Cold crashing helps the beer to clear quicker, albeit that some people wait about 10 days before the CC.

I don't believe it will be ruined and should be OK to bottle.

Edit: I type too slow, +1 to what Adam said

Hi Gordon, welcome.

It may have been fine. What ingredients did you use in the brew, then we can work out what the estimated FG would be.

A cold crash at the end of ferment before bottling clears the beer up, so even though it was maybe a few days early could be fine.

Ingredients

1 Mexican Cerveza can and kit yeast

1kg BE2

25g Cascade steeped for 25min

OG was 1039

FG was 1011

I bottled it this afternoon in PETs - 4th consecutive day at 1011.

Lucky I bit my tongue about the fridge incident. Don't think I'll let on she may be a brewing genius, just yet.

Thanks guys.

Hope this temp controller shows up soon. Talk about slow boat from China - its been over two weeks already. It was cheap though - $10.50 delivered. Perhaps I shoulda paid a bit more - trying to impress SWMBO with my thrifty-ness. Got a good up-side down fridge for only $46.

G'day Gordon, welcome to the forum.

You are well on the way to making great beer with your setup. A brew fridge with a STC1000 controller allows you to "set & forget" with your brewing instead of constantly monitoring brewing temps.

Mind you it might make SWMBO a bit redundant. [crying] [cool]

It was cheap though - $10.50 delivered.

Cant think of anyone tighter than me and the best i could do was $21 delivered.

Did you make sure it was the 220v? from memory the 12v and 110v were a bit cheaper, but as useful as a CFOCW

Only a thought, but one of the lads here made that mistake, and i nearly did too.

It was cheap though - $10.50 delivered.

I won 1.4 million on one of those internet lotteries in Nigeria last month. i sent the $500 transfer and clearence fee, but im still waiting. Hopefully it will arrive the same time as your STC

Ingredients

1 Mexican Cerveza can and kit yeast

1kg BE2

25g Cascade steeped for 25min

OG was 1039

FG was 1011

Mr. Wax,

Second brew and that is what you came up with? [surprised Nice work. [w00t] I'm thinking of doing a similar brew soon. [cool]

I got mine for $30 with free postage. It got here in two days. $10.50 sounds a bit too good to be true to me' date=' most of them on there range between $20 and $30, though, I didn't really look extensively through the list.[lol'] Sometimes things from the Asian countries take a while though.

Still searching ebay daily for that miracle "one off" 40L urn for $100......still waiting.[alien]

I won 1.4 million on one of those internet lotteries in Nigeria last month. i sent the $500 transfer and clearence fee, but im still waiting. Hopefully it will arrive the same time as your STC

Yeah should have realised something was up by the name, 'Mr Matumbo's African Warehouse'. [crying]

Got it on Ebay auction for $4.50 + $6.00 shipping - coming from Hong Kong. It's a 220-240VAC model. I checked his site again and it says he's away 'till the 14th but no-mention of where my gear is. Got it through Pay-pal so I might just can it.

Is there anywhere local that sells them? Pretty keen to get this baby cranking.

Yeah should have realised something was up by the name' date=' 'Mr Matumbo's African Warehouse'. [crying']

Welcome Waxey [biggrin] - That name is a bit of a worry...maybe they'll throw in some elephant husks or tigers wang as a late delivery gift.

I find my deliveries from Hong Kong tend to take forever so I'd hang in there. They tend to ship them within hours of purchase but then they take forever to arrive. Think of the wait as an important lesson in brewing - Patience is your best friend [rightful]

Still searching ebay daily for that miracle "one off" 40L urn for $100......still waiting.

They sell them for around that price near our farm in Thailand. They also have HUGE stainless steel pots and burners so perfectly suited to brewing they would make even the toughest AG'er cry. All selling for a song and a dance....as long as you get a local to buy them for you.

Got it on Ebay auction for $4.50 + $6.00 shipping - coming from Hong Kong. It's a 220-240VAC model. I checked his site again and it says he's away 'till the 14th but no-mention of where my gear is. Got it through Pay-pal so I might just can it.

Is there anywhere local that sells them? Pretty keen to get this baby cranking.

$23.95 Delivered out of Adelaide. A couple of dollars more than the Ebay ones but you get it in 2-3 days from an Aust company.

Hey Muddy,

What sort of farm do you have over there in Thailand? I like the sounds of it!

We've just repurposed it so it pretty much just dirt at the moment. It was rice fields until a month ago but we've just had the diggers and bulldozers in and levelled the rice area. We've also dug a huge dam and added a heap of dirt (about 800 trucks worth) to build up where we plan to build our house and animal enclosures (for pigs, ducks and chickens etc). Once the dirt has compacted in a year or so we'll build a shack.

In the meant time we'll plant it out with hordes of fruit tress and the like to get them established and try my best not to die before we can move there full time.

Wow' date=' Good for you! This must be very exiting for you. Do you have a greenthumb or are you new to the game?[/quote']

Exciting and frustrating that I can't be there more Chad. I haven't got a greenthumb - only dreams....A steep learning curve awaits. Having worked in darkened rooms all my life I yearn to be outdoors.

Archived