Coopers Community

Coopers O.S. Lager Kit Challenge: The Vote

I work with Pedro, so I'm voting for him too

pedro.jpg

And also, I'm voting for F.) SteveL's Cooperhead Road Ale.

I base my vote on the fact that this recipe is what Lusty is submitting to go on the site, and I believe those recipe's are for making tasty yet simple brews.

For Steve's ferment, perhaps 15-16 degrees? Then it will be a little bit Lager-like

Second place vote is for Yob's recipe. I love hops.

part of the criteria was simplicity and if any recipe was to be considered for inclusion in the "how to brew" then complicated hop and grain additions would make it difficult. As everyone has included some, i will go with Gregs Williamete Ale, B as its is still quite simple, but also suits my tastes and ideas.

OK Brewing Brethren

I am going to treat this thread seriously [pouty]......seriously.

I do believe their are a number of really good recipes that would suit a first up brew. These recipes are simple and look like they would turn out alright. But I don't want to see Lusty brewing those.

A couple of the brews include boils that are greater than 20 minutes, I think if your going to boil 30 or 40 minutes then you may as well go for a full extract brew and boil between 45 & 60 minutes for your bitterness. Granted the Lager kit most probably benefits from a longer boil but I don't want Lusty to brew these either.

I'm in danger of being kicked off the show for over analysing this, but that's what I do for a living.

It comes down to two Brews A) Hairy's Galaxy Ale - because I have a liking for Galaxy and I) Nick's Chocolate Ale - because I think that chocolate grains would spruce up the lager kit nicely.

But I am going to go with A) Hairy's Galaxy Ale this hop needs to be elevated and I can't wait for Lusty's feedback on this brew.

I am going to go with A) Hairy's Galaxy Ale this hop needs to be elevated

Agreed

I can't wait for Lusty's feedback on this brew.

I cant wait to receive a bottle of it [lol]

[sleeping] [unsure]

I'm in danger of being kicked off the show' date=' but that's what I do for a living.[/quote']

Scottie, I can't believe you would actually admit to this, but am equally impressed you have made a career out of it [biggrin]

I vote for Hairy's ...(A)

I would have voted for Greg's but it looks a bit basic. [crying]

Hi guys.

I thought there were some really good recipes put forward using the lager tin as the base. I think the diversity of recipe put forward gives a lot of new brewers ideas about expanding their brewing & continuing on, where many would give up & go back to buying commercial beer.

Collectively what you have done by offering up these recipes is give new home brewers forward options from their base starting point when they buy the D.I.Y kit. I find that VERY commendable. [cool]

As far as my vote goes, I narrowed my thought process down to about 5 recipes. I respected the fact that a couple of guys had put forward recipes to brew it as a true lager. I also respected the fact that those same recipes were in the same mould as those listed in the "How To Brew" section, & someone new to brewing, could fairly easily brew them first time around or at least within a couple of brews.

Given the time length to brew a proper lager, & knowing how 'itchy' new home brewers are to get their first brew in the bottle, that narrowed it down to three ale recipes for me.

In the end, two factors won out for my vote.

1). As far as I know, this recipe submitted in the Challenge uses a hop variety not covered in any other recipe currently in the "how to brew" section.

2). Of all the members I have met since joining the forum, the one that most encompasses what the forum stands for, & the way in which everyone (of which I'm currently a failure), should conduct themselves with what they post & epotimises the all round qualities of a good home brewer, there is noone more deserving of having his name up in lights in the "How to Brew" section for his recipe, than Hairy.

Hairy gets my vote.

I vote A.

I hope ya win mate, you're doing well in the voting atm. [biggrin]

Anthony.

I have just realised that I voted in the wrong thread. Sorry Lusty, please go easy with my punishment [biggrin]

Here it is again:

I vote for B) GregT5's Willamette Ale.

Sticking up for the maligned amber malt and my amber malt brother [biggrin]

Hey Lusty, when will I get my prize?

I have been waiting by the mailbox every day but nothing has arrived yet [lol]

Ahhh....so you think you're a good thing for the BIG prize Hairy? Well you actually are atm, & rightfully so. [rightful]

I plan to make a post in the next few days, to call for last votes, & once that time frame is up, the winner will be crowned etc..etc..

I must admit, I'm a little bemused at where this thought of me solely brewing the winning recipe & posting off samples ever came from? [unsure]

Sure, I plan to brew it. I hoped quite a few of us would at the same time, then age it, & then comment on it collectively.

So you reckon you've got it all sewn up Hairy? hehehe

Maybe it's time I went on the campaign trail for a few of the other good recipes... [lol]

Anthony. [biggrin]

Ha ha [biggrin]

I thought it was over already; I've been celebrating for a week. I have already teed up family and friends to come to the award ceremony.

And we are all expecting a sample from you too. I don't why you didn't think you were going to do it [unsure]

It's your obligation as competition organiser [rightful]

But can you do me a favour? When you brew it and send it, please use either the Draught or Pale Ale kit so it tastes better [biggrin]

Ha ha [biggrin]

I thought it was over already; I've been celebrating for a week. I have already teed up family and friends to come to the award ceremony.

And we are all expecting a sample from you too. I don't why you didn't think you were going to do it [unsure]

It's your obligation as competition organiser [rightful]

But can you do me a favour? When you brew it and send it, please use either the Draught or Pale Ale kit so it tastes better [biggrin]

You've been on the forum a bit longer than I have Hairy, has anyone ever successfully mailed beer to another member before? If so, how?

You're not home yet 'Sunshine', expect the last week of voting to throw up a few surprises. [tongue] [lol]

For you to get your name in lights, it has to be with the Lager kit (probably). It sorta wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge if that base kit were changed. Anyway, I hope PB2 will become involved from that point on. [innocent]

Without any prompting on my part, I'm hoping PB2 will be accommodating & perhaps discuss options with the eventual winner of the challenge on maybe (yes maybe), having the recipe (or something very close) displayed somewhere in the "How to Brew" section of the website.

It is/was the aim of "The Challenge", & it is/was always my hope for the recipe to be recognised as being something positive for Coopers & those starting out with home brewing on this website. [biggrin]

May the vote tighten... [wink]

Anthony.

Ahh... A late challenge has entered the fray, along with a lost "Greenie". [lol]

C'mon guys, old & new to the forum...

Get into the groove...

Groovy-Bear.jpg

Get your vote posted, & Jim will look after you...

vote%20and%20free%20lap%20dance.jpg

Because your vote counts and...

we-want-you.jpg

I'll wind it all up in a week or so, so a few more votes would be nice.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived