Coopers Community

Overly Attached Sponge.

LordEoin

This is my Sponge. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sponge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sponge is useless. Without my sponge, I am useless.

My question:

Has anyone else become overly attached to some normal item that you use for brewing? Or is it just me?

19122012359-Copy_zps8dca2d01.jpg

This is my Sponge. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sponge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sponge is useless. Without my sponge, I am useless.

My question:

Has anyone else become overly attached to some normal item that you use for brewing? Or is it just me?

youll be fine once you get through the counselling lol

I agree Lord i easily get attached to things it looks quite fine. I myself cannot seem to throw out my 6 year old skate shoes that i have worn every dau since then I lost them on a melbourne train 5 years ago coming home from a 20/20 match where the aussies lost and the Currys were giving us a hard time i threw my shoes at them on train swore id never see them again.

Ended up picking them up from melbourne central next day where some good person handed them in and have vowed to waer tham as long as possible [lol]

Sorry i understand if its only amusing to me the same as the lord and his sponge but at least the sponge is in good nick [lol]

My question:

i still have the first kit can that i used. i put it under the bottling wand to catch the drips. i rinse it after each brew, put it in the cupboard with the rest of my brewing gear. its like an old freind keeping me company on bottling day

Ok i got a little sidetracked if talking brewing terms i absolutely couldnt see myself with out my sugar measurer has the 3 different sizes for 330ml/375ml and 500ml and 750ml just scoop it in bowl of sugar and shake to level out perfect carbonation everytime.

I spoke to a bloke at work who rebuilds fridges and is selling me a big fridge with no freezer conpartment. He is also a qualified electrician and mechanic so is going to deliver and set up my fridge and stc 1000 after xmas [biggrin]

Then i may finally as well go to bulk priming but if not my sugar scoop will be loved [lol] if not i may do something similar to nick and find some way to treasure it anyway

G'day LordEoin, Just wondering if your attachment becomes more intense after you have drank a few brews? Do you always stick with the same old sponge, or have you flirted with the idea of buying a new one? Your sponge could one day contract a STD (sponge tranmitted disease). How will that affect your relationship?

I looked long & hard at that photo & I'm sorry....it's just you [crying] [cool]

Try looking at it after several beers like LordEoin did [biggrin]

Well, I'm a little drunk right now (off homebrew, of course), and I'm pretty sure it's just Eoin. That being said, though, I don't even want to think about tossing my Coopers Micro-Brew FV and stirring spoon, no matter how old and worn out they get. [crying]

I have an attachment to a green plastic bucket i use purely for softening up can extracts etc. That is its only job and it does it very well. No other bucket could soften extracts as well. You are not alone Lord. [cool]

circa 1990: I had whinge because the bucket I bought for making beer had been contaminated with some kind of floor cleaning chemical, my lovely lady greeted me with this the next day.

[love] It's just a bucket... [roll]

beeronlybucket.jpg

coopersfermenter.jpg

My old school Coopers FV which I began brewing with about 10 years ago, and a Tupperware jug which I 'borrowed' from mum when I started out.

They were about the only pieces of equipment I had when I started out. I'd soak the can in hot water in the orange jug, then use the same jug to fill up the FV.

The shape of the old Coopers FV is perfect for me for a priming vessel because it fits perfectly between the kitchen bench and the cupboards above. My other FVs won't fit. [pinched]

I will always have an attachment to these items, as they remind me of simpler times when all of my brewing equipment would fit inside a FV instead of barely fitting in a good sized room![lol]

Thanks to the good Lord for starting this post (even if he was a bit under the weather) and thanks to Coopers for all of the years of awesomeness.

Rock on brothers!

EDIT: Sorry about the size of the pic, will reduce next time.

circa 1990: I had whinge because the bucket I bought for making beer had been contaminated with some kind of floor cleaning chemical, my lovely lady greeted me with this the next day.

[love] It's just a bucket... [roll]

beeronlybucket.jpg

I have a green bucket. Paul, I guess your bucket would be faster than mine.

I have a green bucket. Paul' date=' I guess your bucket would be faster than mine.[/quote']

Green is nice! but have you got your name on him?[lol]

No need to have a name on my bucket; my wife wouldn't dare to use my brewing bucket for cleaning [devil]

(because she makes me do all the cleaning [crying] )

Aye, I may have been a little tipsy at 4am after bottling a stout and brewing an orange/coriander witbeer and having the mandatory brewday beers - strictly to free up some more bottles of course.

But that in no way affects how much I love my sponge.

It could easily clean all of your favorite things! [biggrin]

I have a green bucket. Paul' date=' I guess your bucket would be faster than mine.[/quote']

Green is nice! but have you got your name on him?[lol]

No need to have a name on my bucket; my wife wouldn't dare to use my brewing bucket for cleaning [devil]

(because she makes me do all the cleaning [crying] )

Also known as "Floor Sanitation"[lol] [lol]

Archived