Coopers Community

STC1000

Nick

Lol I know the feeling. I was in the same boat when I wanted to move to all grain but my job at the time didn't give me any spare cash at all really. I got my current one in August and was able to make the move in October. I spent about $700 on my setup' date=' that was including the bulk grains and hops. The urn was $270, The grain mill was about $225. I probably could have done it cheaper but anyway[lol']. My fridge for this was free as it was already here not being used, so just the $30odd for the STC.

All I need to do now is pull some space out of my arse to have a keg setup! [lol]

hahaha my philosophy with this brewing caper is Never say Never...but with the alcohol problems im having through my life there is NO BEERTAP gunna hang out of the Nedsters fridge door...id love it but i may as well just go find swmbo another home now lol. i couldnt trust myself with that set up lol then again......could save alot of bottle space lol[bandit] [biggrin] [crying]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I reckon I'd probably drink more of them if I had a tap in the kitchen or wherever. [lol]

Then again with my job driving heavy vehicles (buses) I'm careful how much I consume, usually one beer after work is all. I doubt a keg would change that. Might be a different story on weekends or days off though lol.

Yeah I reckon I'd probably drink more of them if I had a tap in the kitchen or wherever. [lol]

Then again with my job driving heavy vehicles (buses) I'm careful how much I consume, usually one beer after work is all. I doubt a keg would change that. Might be a different story on weekends or days off though lol.

well i just fossick round the house most days chatting to you blokes with the fridge VERY nearby...naaaaaa no kegs for me lol

swmbo would let me get the kegs...if it werent for my habits lol...she reckons im welcome to drink a crate a nite of what i make but a beer tap on the fridge....she just cant get her head round that one lol

[biggrin] [bandit] to be honest though if this were my place id probably think about it...we will see what the future holds lol

That's why you just get another fridge especially for kegs. [lol]

I'll let someone else answer that one properly Phil, as I don't know much about kegs and whether that's good value.. sounds alright to me though lol.

Another quick update on the experiment with the cube in the fridge, pretty much the same as the bottle. Fridge turns off at 18, cube drops to 17.9 and then starts slowly warming back up again. Based on these experiments I'll stick with my original plan/theory and not bother plugging any heating devices into it.

Now to get some more empties! [lol]

• 3 weeks later...

G'day all

Finally got my STC1000 from Honkers and wired it up today and it's going great guns. And I didn't end up with a wild afro (or worse !) on power-up !! Big thanks to BillK for his wiring diagram.

Anyway, what I was wondering was where do you guys stick your probes ?? Stop it Hairy, I know what you're thinking !!! I've heard in the FV, in a glass of water in the fridge, or just stuck on the inside wall of the fridge.

Thoughts welcome.

Hey Swamp Fox,

I tape mine to the side of the FV and then tape a piece of foam over the top of it with big thick tape to insulate it from the fridge air. According to my stick on thermometers it's pretty accurate. Given the time it takes the temp to change when it's attached like that (quite a while), as opposed to just dangling the probe inside the fridge (quite fast), I'd say it's pretty spot on. Check out the last photo on this post from my brewday thread to see how I've done it. The "lump" under the tape is the foam over the probe.

G'day all

Finally got my STC1000 from Honkers and wired it up today and it's going great guns. And I didn't end up with a wild afro (or worse !) on power-up !! Big thanks to BillK for his wiring diagram.

Anyway, what I was wondering was where do you guys stick your probes ?? Stop it Hairy, I know what you're thinking !!! I've heard in the FV, in a glass of water in the fridge, or just stuck on the inside wall of the fridge.

Thoughts welcome.

I'm developing quite the reputation around here [lol]

I do the same as Kelsey except I use a couple of strips of neoprene (cut from a stubby holder) to insulate it. Sometimes I will tape it down and sometimes I will use an adjustable strap around the FV.

Now, as for this guy, [alien] , don't ask where he sticks his probe.

Kelsey

Thanks for the info. Silly question, but when recommended ferment temp is say 22 degrees, is that ambient temp or the actual brew in the FV ? What I'm thinking is that fermenting naturally causes a temp rise.....

Bottom line is, ambient temp here in the top end is currently around 32 degrees, so no brewing during the wet unless STC1000 acquired ! As long as I hold the fridge temp down I should be laughing yeah ?

Foxy

I believe the ferment temp is the temp of the brew rather than the ambient temp. All I do is stick the probe to the side as mentioned, and set the STC-1000 to whatever temp I want to ferment at, e.g. 18C. I have the difference set to 0.3C so basically when the brew hits 18C it switches the fridge off, and when it warms up to 18.3C, the unit turns the fridge back on to get it back to 18. I hope that makes sense[biggrin]

Ferment temp is the temperature you should try to keep your wort at.

This is the reason you should try to insulate the probe from the ambient temp inside the fridge.

Once the wort reaches your desired ferment temp, you will find it stays fairly stable.

Yes, fermentation does create its own heat but a working fridge & an STC1000 will hold the temp pretty well.

Kelsey, Hairy, Greg

Solid info, totally makes sense and thanks for that.

Guess what I'll be doing in the next couple of days ??!! It's got something to do with a probe........

Oh you blokes, cut it out !! I'm going to lay down a brew !!! With my new STC1000 !! Next stop, kegging..... and won't that open a whole new can of worms.

[lol]

Excellent! My first brew using my fridge is currently beginning day 7 in there as I type this. I'm going to take a gravity reading when I get home from work later. I'm really looking forward to tasting it too. I envy you guys kegging though. I wish I had the space available for it. However, at least I have temp control and an urn for AG so it's nothing to sneeze at!

I conducted some experiments on my fridge before I put this brew in there, as some cats had recommended plugging a heat source in and sticking it inside the fridge to mitigate downward temperature overshoot, however, I haven't found this to be necessary since the liquid temp doesn't overshoot. Basically just plug your fridge in, set your temps and let it do the rest! [biggrin]

Just a quick follow up' date=' I took a hydro sample just before, the STC has been set at 20C today, it'd probably been out of the FV for a couple of mins before I stuck a thermometer in it, it read 69F, or about 20.5C. So I reckon the probe on the side is a pretty good indicator. [biggrin']

im sure ill find other posts etc..but thankyou i was thinking about going this route

Archived