Coopers Community

STC1000

Nick

Bollock height. It might be the right height to bottle but it depends on how far your bollocks hang down [innocent]

Good one Hairy, lefty for stubbies, righty for tallies. Tip toes for darwin stubbies.[lol]

Hey really, does the freezer compartment still freeze? if not i can put my beers in there instead of the kitchen fridge

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick,

The fridge/freezer (combined if you like) create an ambient temperature around your Fermenter. That temperature is governed by the temperature set in your temperature controller.

Look at your fridge as the naughty school boy, & your temp controller as the strict Catholic school teacher.

Basically, the naughty school boy does as he's told for the entire time he is in the presence of the strict Catholic school teacher. [tongue]

With that Catholic teacher-like temp controller, many of your worries are now over! [lol]

Anthony.

sorry Bill, maybe my question was a little vague. if i have an FV in the fridge compartment set at 18 deg, does the freezer section that is separate still freeze. it would be a good place to store beer if it doesnt.

Bill mentioned before that the controller will turn the fridge on and off; that includes the freezer.

You will find that the fridge will only operate for short periods during the day because the fridge is insulated and maintains a temperature really well.

So the freezer won't be on for any extended period and won't have a chance to freeze.

thats what i thought Hairy, so basically it will just stay cold not freezing and could posibly be a temperature suitable for storing my drinking beer. once i have it all set up, i'll throw a couple of beers in the freezer section and see how cold they are.

If the height of your freezer accommodates your beer standing up, cool. If you have to lie them down, maybe not so good. [unsure]

I suppose that is all dependent on how long after you plan to drink them. [innocent]

Anthony.

its a good size fridge freezer, one of those upside down ones with fridge up top and freezer below that were popular 10 years ago. plenty of room to stand up tallies. i reckon i can fit at least 2 dozen in there.

Nick, I answered all your questions in posts #24 & #27 in this thread, including using the freezer for your beer bottles. i.e. unless you want your beer at around 18C you can put them in. Still alright for a place to store them but they WONT chill. Glasses would be ok though.

I really don't know what to say so you understand [crying]

I don't have a freezer on my brewing fridge but I would have thought that the fridge compartment would be 18 degrees but the freezer section may well be a different temperature. The controller is only maintaining the temperature on the fridge section, or the wort to be more precise.

The temperature in the freezer would definitely fluctuate so it might not be the best place to store beer. It also might not be cold enough. Perhaps you could stick a thermometer in there to see what it does.

Edit: Nick you beat with me the same question/point.

Bill' date=' if the fridge and freezer compartments are separate and the STC1000 thermostat is set at 18 deg in the fridge, are you saying that the temp in the freezer will also be 18 deg. [/quote']

No I am not saying they will be the same temperature. However, there is not a great deal of difference. The temp will fluctuate a lot more in the freezer than the fridge because even though the freezer will chill quicker than the fridge it will also warm back up quicker.

The freezer does not get cold enough to store beer at a serving temperature and the fridge doesn't come on a lot at all to enable the freezer to freeze.

• 2 weeks later...
For the matter of a few wires I would still wire up both heating and cooling while you are working on it. I bet my bottom dollar that you will use it one way or the other sometime in the future. Maybe not tomorrow or next year BUT, when this happens you will look back and say to yourself,"I should have done it as BillK suggested". hehehe.....

Give me a sec and I'll hunt down a few links for you...

Here is the wire diagram you wanted...

8049522354_2b32019e73_c.jpg

hey Ash, here is the diagram from Bill

Ice doesn't always work as lube, but at least it numbs the pain. [innocent]

Anyway, this thread made me want an STC1000, and at \xa320 including delivery I saw no reason not to buy myself a christmas present [biggrin]

My problem at the moment is keeping the brew warm enough.

Currently I have a brewbelt on a socket timer and it seems to work ok.

There should be no problem in using a brewbelt with the unit, right?

well i finally wired her up this morning and is working like a charm. i only wired the cold side as i will never have problems with it getting to cold up here. i have set it at 17.6 deg, and it is holding at 18 deg. is that normal? anyway, what is a good temp for regulation brews? i am not making speciality beers, just want to eliminate the off tastes that mid to high 20,s can give. also i would like to find a temp that will give me better tasting beer, but not take forever to ferment. i generally bottle at 8 to 10 days and dont want to be waiting 3 weeks between brews

Well done Nick; no looking back now.

I don't have an STC1000 so I can't tell you which buttons to press. But mine does the same thing. You program the temperature but aso the variance.

For example, I have just set mine at 18 degrees with a variance of 0.5 degrees. This means that the heating or cooling won't start unless the temp falls below 17.5 or above 18.5.

As for a standard temperature, you should probably run it at 18 degrees with a 1 degree variance (assuming you are using a 'standard' ale yeast). Since it is warm up there, your beer will most likely sit between 18-19 degrees. And it shouldn't be a long slow ferment.

But check the yeast you are using for their optimum range and go with that.

Also, some yeast and beer styles work well with a warmer ferment. I like to brew my English ales with Windsor at 19-20 degrees. Sometimes you want the production of some esters.

Archived