Coopers Community

STC1000

Nick

Hey Andy

I got one of those from a Hong Kong Ebay site for less than 1/2 that price, it is genuine too [lol] . I am using it in winter on my heat pad to maintain 16'C. It works a treat, I am tempted to put in on a fridge but I am a bit concerned about the compressor delay. I'll read the instructions tonite.

As the weather in Tassie warms up I am at decision time, my latest brew fremented at 22'C after I pitched at 20'C [pinched] . Buy another STC, the last time I got 110V instead of 240v, or use the compact unit that I already have? [unsure]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly apologies to the STC1000 fraternity. I'm not trying to cause an argument, the STC1000 is a very good unit and priced quite well. I did my trade as an Instrument Fitter, process control, and industrial temperature controllers can cost as at least 10 times that price.

Andy

Had a look at the instructions. The unit switches on at +1 degree and off at -1 degree. Considering the probe will be mounted against the FV, i.e. a considerable heat sink, then the stopping and starting the compressor will not be an issue.

The decision on whether to use this unit or the STC1000 comes down to your personal situation. Do you have the skills, tools, time or the desire to wire up the STC1000. If you do then you should go ahead and order one and go for it.

If not you have two choices, get a pre-wired temp controller form one of the suppliers mentioned in other threads or go for this unit.

Firstly apologies to the STC1000 fraternity.

The decision on whether to use this unit or the STC1000 comes down to your personal situation. Do you have the skills, tools, time or the desire to wire up the STC1000. If you do then you should go ahead and order one and go for it.

If not you have two choices, get a pre-wired temp controller form one of the suppliers mentioned in other threads or go for this unit.

No need to apologise to the STC1000 fanboys.

All your comments make total sense.

LordE

I really like the way you put the power switch on the back of your unit. Did you scavenge it from an old PC or buy it? I just might rebuild my 2 stc's into new boxes and copy your model (with a taller boxs)

I bought it for about 3euro.

They're simple to install because the wires connect with 'spades?' (not sure if that's the correct word, THESE) so no soldering needed.

Also the unit itself just clips in without the need for screws etc.

It also has a built in fuse which is handy in case I messed anything up [biggrin]

For those considering an STC1000, if you jump on ebay, beware that there is a 110v and a 220v available. the 220v works fine, just make sure you dont order the 110v by mistake, there are so many sellers that it can become confusing. from memory there may also be a 12v version available, but dont quote me[biggrin] BTW, dont be put 0ff with wiring it up, just follow billk's diagram, of better still have a look at the good lords version, it is very clear. also, if you are in a warmer climate like me, you really only need to wire the cooling side, which makes it even easier. Yob, Lusty and the southern monkeys will say do both hot and cold sides, which does make sense if you live close to antarctica

Its handy to have both Heating and cooling hooked up to mitigate overshoot.. The STC's have a minimum 0.3'c which is barable, but if just using the cooling sides it's possible to get an overshoot when the cooling flicks off which the heating side can mitigate. (especially if the primary ferment is slowing)

I run 5 of these in my brewery for various things and I rekon they are the ducks [roll]

im not in the money to buy yet but there is a company at condell park sydney that has on ebay free postage...and i think the stc1000 is about $31.00......being new to computers, ebay etc im thinking ill order from them...they say they can deliver within 48 hours after being paid etc......if i wasnt a dumass on computer id post the link lol

Its handy to have both Heating and cooling hooked up to mitigate overshoot.. The STC's have a minimum 0.3'c which is barable, but if just using the cooling sides it's possible to get an overshoot when the cooling flicks off which the heating side can mitigate. (especially if the primary ferment is slowing)

I run 5 of these in my brewery for various things and I rekon they are the ducks [roll]

i see what you are saying Yob, but at this stage, i am rapt to be able to control the temp when ambient is consistently over 30 deg[cool]

im not in the money to buy yet but there is a company at condell park sydney that has on ebay free postage...and i think the stc1000 is about $31.00..

You'll get tehm off ebay for as little as $20.40 including delivery like here (link)

You might have to wait a week, but patience is what this game is all about.

That saves you $10 for more hops and fermentables [biggrin]

at this stage' date=' i am rapt to be able to control the temp when ambient is consistently over 30 deg[cool']

Not to mention keeping it constant and not having to worry about thedifference in temperature between day and night [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

nick cheer s , only i was looking at the link above ,it seemed they were mostly 12v or 110v..

have you bought from O/S? you have a link for a good seller..think ill order 1 or 2, get this party started[biggrin]

nick cheer s , only i was looking at the link above ,it seemed they were mostly 12v or 110v..

have you bought from O/S? you have a link for a good seller..think ill order 1 or 2, get this party started[biggrin]

Hi Pat, yes i got one from O/S. Havent got a link, but there were lots on Ebay to chose from. it arrived in about 10 days from China. I picked a seller with good feedback, who also had the best price BTW. $20 inc freight, i thought i couldnt go wrong. Pay via paypal and you are protected. Make sureyou order the 220v, one of the lads here ordered the 110v by mistake. Easy mistake to make when your overcome with anticipation of the great beers you will soon be making[love] You can get plenty of good advice on this forum including wiring details etc[biggrin]

hi yob im cusrious to find out how you got the heat setup.

obviously your using the fridge to cool it however with heating it are you using a heating mat connected to the unit in the fridge ?

cheers

Anthony, there are a variety of ways to warm the temp inside the fridge.

Some use a heat pad or a heat cord. Be aware of where you put these in a fridge as most fridges are almost all plastic inside you don't want things melting. I haven't used either of these so I'm not aware of how hot they get.

I have a globe mounted inside a terracotta plant pot with another pot upside down on top of it. The globe warms up the terracotta but doesn't allow a lot of light out (only the small hole in the top).

This was suggested to me by one of my workmates & it works well in my setup.

Hope this helps.

So I've just been talking to Dad about temp control of my beers, and would you believe, I didn't even have to ask - he practically offered me the old fridge down in my brewery area which is stocked with their wine at the moment! [lol]

Anyway. My question is basically this. With the STC1000, do you plug the fridge plug into the unit, and then plug the unit into the wall? Or do you have to actually wire it into the fridge itself? Or can you do it either way? He seems to be more agreeable to the idea if it's the former which is understandable. Looking at those photos on the first page from Bill I'm guessing the former is right but I wanted to ask people who actually use them to be sure.

If it's just a matter of wiring it up in a box with a couple of sockets and stuff to plug the fridge in to etc, then it's a piece of piss.. we built a bloody valve/tube guitar amp about 18 months ago. [lol] Anyway thanks for any help everyone, might be able to have a brew fridge after all!

Good on ya Otto Man! Long overdue! [cool]

You simply won't know yourself once you have it up & going.

One piece of advice though, look into the specs of the make & model of the wine fridge you are planning on using.

Initially when I looked into obtaining my brew fridge, I actually looked at buying a wine cooler fridge. I found that the temperature range on them is not as good, & they suffer far worse under ambient temperature due to insulation issues etc. versus a standard fridge. Even the expensive wine fridges over $1000 had these types of issues. So much so, I went right away from the idea of buying one, & bought a standard type fridge.

I hope everything I've just said does not become an issue for you, but it can't hurt to be prepared a little.

Just food for thought.

I wish you well (of course!). [happy]

Anthony.

If it's just a matter of wiring it up in a box with a couple of sockets and stuff to plug the fridge in to etc, then it's a piece of piss.. we built a bloody valve/tube guitar amp about 18 months ago. [lol] Anyway thanks for any help everyone, might be able to have a brew fridge after all!

Exactly right Otto.

Eleven wires to connect to it. 240V ac (3 wires) 2 sensor wires,

and 2 x socket outlets for heating and cooling.

If you are lazy like me then just cut an old extension in halves. Plug top connects to the 240V and the other end connects to the cooling circuit. That gives you until autumn to save up for another extension lead to chop up for the heating circuit.

Here is the diagram - excuse the wort stains.

stc1000wiring.jpg

i Kelse, once its wired up, you plug the fridge straight in to it and it does all the work. If your dad ever wants his wine fridge back, unplug it and its a wine fridge again. hope this makes sense, its as hot a f ATM and i have been drinking ans swimming all arv (bad combo), so may be a little affected. [roll] i understand what i just wrote

Hi Shane.

i just got a second hand fridge yesterday and might look at one of these' date=' just a question do sensors sit in the fridge to control temp thanks [/quote']

Yes the sensor sits in the fridge attached to the side of your Fermenter. I use a good blob of blue-tak to secure mine (Others use different methods). Enough so that it sticks, & thick enough so that it insulates the sensor from the opposite side where the sensor may be affected by the fridge interior temperature.

Anthony.

Hi Shane.

i just got a second hand fridge yesterday and might look at one of these' date=' just a question do sensors sit in the fridge to control temp thanks [/quote']

Yes the sensor sits in the fridge attached to the side of your Fermenter. I use a good blob of blue-tak to secure mine (Others use different methods). Enough so that it sticks, & thick enough so that it insulates the sensor from the opposite side where the sensor may be affected by the fridge interior temperature.

Anthony.

thanks for that i might look into one of these since they seem good

Thanks for the replies guys! [biggrin]

Lusty, it's actually a standard fridge they're just using to store wine in, it's not switched on or anything - it's practically an extra cupboard at the moment. However it has been used as a proper fridge in the past so it does work. Anyway cheers!

John, thanks for the diagram, that all looks pretty simple to do.

I daresay we'll have a crapload of wires suitable for the job without having to chop up extension leads. Dad is pretty full on into electronics so there's plenty of supplies here, hence why we could build my amp (for a lot cheaper than buying an equivalent one too). [lol]

haha Nick, yeah it does make sense, all good. I assume just put the temp probe either in the fridge or strap it to the FV?

Anyway I have informed Dad of this information and I've got the go ahead to go and buy one now, I know there's 4325632 people on Ebay who sell them, anyone got a good one they got theirs from?

Archived