Coopers Community

STC1000

Nick

Well done Nick; no looking back now

thanks Hairy but the truth is i am making much better beer now than i was 3 months ago because of the advice i have got from just about everyone here. the STC 1000 will make a better beer even better. As Lusty said in a previous forum....thanks guys[biggrin]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set F2 to 0.3'c

This is the smallest it can go. Adjust the F1 accordingly, ie if 18 is desired, set it to 17.7 so that the max range by default is that of your required temp. Adjust up to the actual number after the bulk of ferment has passed and activity/heat production has slowed.

Cheers

Hi Nick.

My STC-1000 is set exactly as Hairy's is for ales, @ 18\xb0C with F2 set to allow a 0.5\xb0C fluctuation before it kicks the fridge back in. Lagers & Pilsner type beer recipes will offer a range normally between 9\xb0-15\xb0C. As Hairy mentioned the yeast (and its temperature range) you use for your recipes will govern what temperature you should be maintaining in your brew fridge during primary ferment, & should generally be adhered to for best results.

JohnM25 makes a good point about bottling timetables etc. The brew governs when it should be bottled. My routine is to primary ferment ales for 2 weeks. I take a hydrometer reading on day 13 & check that against what the expected Final Gravity for that brew should be, then on day 14 I take another sample, to make sure Specific Gravity is stable & then I bottle on that day 14.

I just bottled my first full lager brew last Friday & that was in primary ferment for 3 weeks. I had NEVER previously primary fermented a beer for that long. It near killed me! [lol]

You, along with me & everyone else on the forum, are about making better quality beer. Along with obtaining my first temp controlled brew fridge came a newly required form of patience & understanding for a more thorough primary ferment.

Good luck & good brewing with the new temp controlled brew fridge Nick! [happy]

Anthony.

Now the stc1000 is up and running and now i have temp control i am looking forward to some really good beers, i was going to start with a Lager, but opted for this instead as i really enjoy amber ale.

Morgans Amber Ale can

500gm Dex

250gm LDM

250gm Dried Corn syrup

250gm Cracked Crystal steeped for 30 mins in 1.2 litres of just off the boil water and rinsed with another 1.2 litres. Then boiled for 30 mins with 25gm of Goldings

Kit yeast

i set the stc at 19.7 deg with a 0.3 deg variance. i pitched at 27 deg and its starting to ferment after 6 hours. not sure why i am posting this recipe as its very basic compared to what most here are doing, but thought i would share it with you anyway. will let you know how it drinks in a few weeks[biggrin]

I must admit it was about this time last year that I gave up on the whole STC1000 thingy [roll] .

You see I ordered mine from EBay and also secured a suitable fridge. When I went to wire it up, I realised it was the 110v version. Checked the listing and yes I ordered the wrong one [pinched] .

Who would have thought that I am a qualified Electrician [roll].

I must get motivated again and order the proper unit, it was going to be to big a task to adapt the 110v version, but I just can't get over the sunk costs.

It looks like frozen coke bottles again [alien]

Too hot in the tropics now to brew, so I finally 'acquired' a new fridge and am going to use the old one for a brew fridge. Ordered an STC1000 from Honkers and I'm jumping out of my skin waiting for it to arrive. Thanks to this thread I should be able to use the info to create something special - I'll keep you posted.......

I don't have a freezer on my brewing fridge but I would have thought that the fridge compartment would be 18 degrees but the freezer section may well be a different temperature. The controller is only maintaining the temperature on the fridge section, or the wort to be more precise.

The temperature in the freezer would definitely fluctuate so it might not be the best place to store beer. It also might not be cold enough. Perhaps you could stick a thermometer in there to see what it does.

Edit: Nick you beat with me the same question/point.

The STC has been running for 3 days now and keeping the fridge at a constant 20deg.

The freezer compartment is sitting on 5deg. i put a stubby in yesterday to see if it freezes and guess what, it is a perfect drinking temp.

So now i have a brewing fridge that houses my FV and has conditioning space for 24 pets on the shelf above the FV and the freezer which is below, as it is an upside down jobby, houses 2 slabs and all my glasses at 5 deg

I still have room in the fridge door for about 12 tallies.

i am very happy with that, the brewing room is tidy, the spare room has fewer cartons of beer in secondary and the kitchen fridge hasnt got a shelf full of coldies[biggrin] [love] [biggrin] [love]

thats done it nick...im moving to your place.lol evryone on here has me convinced im going to get a stc1000 for sure thankyou all....i must add nick i recall riding my bike thru kennelworth one nite...and it was bloody freezing!!!!! cheers nedg

I hate this thread. It made me buy an STC1000 AND a fridge [biggrin]

Ah well, the whole lot only cost me EUR45 in total.

Swmbo was not impressed by my fridge purchase until I pointed out that it is better than our existing kitchen fridge. So i'll be taking that one for brewing and putting the new one in the kitchen.

Upgraded both rooms in one move.

I think I deserve a beer! [biggrin]

I hate this thread. It made me buy an STC1000 AND a fridge [biggrin]

Ah well, the whole lot only cost me EUR45 in total.

Swmbo was not impressed by my fridge purchase until I pointed out that it is better than our existing kitchen fridge. So i'll be taking that one for brewing and putting the new one in the kitchen.

Upgraded both rooms in one move.

I think I deserve a beer! [biggrin]

im hating this sight also.....one minute swilling in a dirt floor shed...now looking up gadgets on ebay lol....theres just no end to being an alkie ive found lol

Hi Ivon T. [happy]

how would one of these temp controllers work on a big chest freezer? I have one that has not been much use (looking to downsize) that is big enough to fit 2 FV (side by side)in it....

The STC-1000 works exactly the same on a freezer as it does on a fridge. It regulates the temperature inside. All the STC-1000 unit does, is give YOU the ability to select the temperature you want inside. It simply turns the fridge/freezer on & off to attain the temperature you set in the unit.

A freezer is no different to a fridge when controlled by this unit.

I hope that helps. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Stick to an STC 1000.

That one does not appear to have separate heating and cooling switching circuits. Those universal sockets (described as Australian Socket) are usually a lot of crap that arcs and causes problems.

Must say I chuckled at the little arrows pointing to some totally unreadable Chinese writing that tells us how it is a Genuine Brand and Tested and Made Professionally. One wonders what they really say.

Yob - I already have my eye on her chest freezer[bandit]

Andy - STC1000 is tried, tested and cheaper. Easy and fun to assemble.

Anyway, Santa brought me the Dremel tool I asked for, so I spent the day playing with it and asembled my STC1000.

I'm very happy with the outcome, apart from the size of the sockets, but Ireland seems to like big ugly white sockets, so they'll have to do. I didn't want any wires poking from the box and I can always switch them later on if I come across smaller ones.

First of all, here's a cleaned up wiring diagram I made earlier:

STC1000Wiring_zps91a30666.jpg

A view from the front:

stcfront_zpsf359d3d5.jpg

From the back:

stcback_zpscb8924d4.jpg

And inside:

stcInside_zps58d2b6ac.jpg

Archived