Coopers Community

What temp should I be trying to hit?

LyleC1

I'm using the yeast from under the lid.

Because this yeast is a combination Ale & Lager yeast, I believe that you are at the upper end of the temp scale. The Coopers Ale yeasts will cope with this temp OK but I have had the Pale Ale kit yeast give me a bad result in my Irish Red (@20'C). I have a mate who went off Pale Ale altogether last summer and that was when his FV temp went too high, he has no issues with the Ale yeasts at the same temps.

The instructions under the list of the Australian Pale Ale kit states the general 21-27\xb0 I thought. I don't have the benefit of any real temp control beyond 12 ice bricks. I guess I could be in deep doo doo. [pinched]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure which yeast you are asking about??

Anyway...

Our commercial ale yeast can often throw pear, nail polish and banana aromas. Wheat beer yeast, such as WB-06, is champion for throwing cloves, banana, bubblegum, etc.

Haven't really noticed these characters from lager yeast [sideways]

Our commercial ale yeast can often throw banana aromas.

What Im asking is that the "kit yeast" that has the blend of Lager yeast brewed at ale temperature.. will the lager component of that throw banana aromas? ala steam ale...

ROFLMAO @ BillK's dancing banana! [lol] [sideways] [lol]

So does that mean your are B1 & he is B2? [tongue]

I had my WinAmp player on random & after about half a dozen songs the dancing banana seemed to dance roughly in time with Prince's "Controversy".

I'd be interested in any songs others think he keeps rhythm with! Haha!

I'll continue to explore this further... [biggrin]

Beer.

I set up another means of temperature control yesterday...Because I advanced to bigger batches, I can no longer find room in my fridge to do cold crashing, which seems to be necessary to get my beer to clear. Fortunately, my son had a freezer sitting around doing nothing, so now I'm using my temperature control software/hardware to run the freezer to about 3.9C. Holding those temps to +/- 0.25 degrees C so my controller is working very well. This setup will let me cold crash and have a keezer for serving my beer!

Does anyone else have trouble getting their beer to clear without cold crashing? This batch has been in the fermenter for two weeks. I moved it from the primary to a secondary after one week, but it is still not clear. FG is 1.012 and is stable.

I don't cold crash because I don't have the means to, but I've never had a problem with cloudy beer. I don't rack it to a secondary either. Well, technically I do, but that's only because I bulk prime when I bottle. I simply bottle it and leave it sit there for about 3 months. Usually after about two weeks it's clear in the bottle, although I do get chill haze. [bandit]

[lol]

When do you add gelatin anyway? At the same time as the priming sugar then just rack the beer onto it as well?

I add Gelatin to my keg then just syphon the beer on top of it. Works a treat [cool]

If you are not kegging but are Bulk Priming then I can't see why you couldn't just put a teaspoon of Gelatin in with your sugar mix... provided the solution is not cold.

Fair enough then. [joyful] I might give it a whirl when I bottle this latest batch. I'll just add a teaspoon when I mix up my sugar and boiling water in the jug.

Don't use water hotter than about 75C (can't remember the exact limit) I usually use around the 60C-70C mark.

Archived