Coopers Community

What temp should I be trying to hit?

LyleC1

I'm brewing an Australian Pale Ale, with some additions, as my first Cooper's extract. I am somewhat of a gadget geek and have a fermentation chamber set up with an extremely fine temp controller. I can control temps to within +/- 0.25 degree F.......that being said...what temperature is IDEAL to hit, since I can control to about anything from 64-100F

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF is F [pinched] My general rule of thumb is the lower the temperature is to ferment the yeast without it going dormant then the better your beer will turn out imo. ie if your yeast goes dormant at 17C then ferment as close as you can to that. However, there are certain exceptions but this depends on the style or flavor you are trying to achieve most comply to the aforementioned.

I'm using the yeast from under the lid.

Hey Lyle

Because this yeast is a combination Ale & Lager yeast, I believe that you are at the upper end of the temp scale. The Coopers Ale yeasts will cope with this temp OK but I have had the Pale Ale kit yeast give me a bad result in my Irish Red (@20'C). I have a mate who went off Pale Ale altogether last summer and that was when his FV temp went too high, he has no issues with the Ale yeasts at the same temps.

I have brewed this yeast at 16'C without issue. I reckon you should bring your temp down to 18'C as suggested by Eoin.

I'm using the yeast from under the lid. I'm holding at 21.6 C, so that is too high in your opinion? I thought, from other forums, that we wanted to get the fermentation done rather quickly.

21.6C is not too high imo and you will still get a reasonable beer at that temp. However, if you would like a better beer you will find that brewing at around 18C.

As I previously mentioned there are some factors that can change what you want. I brewed an Irish Ale purposely at 22C recently using Wyeast1084 and so glad I did. Nevertheless, for brewing the Ale Kit Yeast then I would try get it to 18C.

Temperature is more critical during those first few days of fermentation. Mine was only at 20'C for 1 day and this must have stressed the yeast, the whole house was filled with the smell of sulphur (rotten eggs). However all yeast are different, and being kit could differ in age and where they were stored. Due to this reason I now have a fridge full of kit yeast.

If yours is still smelling alright I reckon its a fair chance it will be a goer.

Hi Ruddager....yes I did build this fermentation chamber. I work for a company that builds and sells cleanroom monitoring equipment and software. I get to use this equipment and software as a "live demo" for customers, so I set it up to control my temperatures in my chamber. I basically bought an upright storage cabinet from the local lumber yard, mounted a 100 watt light bulb in the bottom and the installed a temperature transmitter in the fermentation area. My software turns the light bulb on and off to maintain whatever temperature I set it to. I have no means of cooling yet, but my basement stays pretty cool. I might have to come up with a cooling system to get my temps down to where you all are saying. I started brewing with Mr Beer and they recommended the higher temps, as did one other forum I was on, so that is why I'm using the higher temp. I plan to make another batch right after this, but I WAS going to change up the recipe a bit.....maybe I should stick with the same thing, but change temps and see the difference.

I thought, from other forums, that we wanted to get the fermentation done rather quickly.

Why do you want to get fermentation done quickly?

imo, any rushed job is never as good a job as time spent and certainly not in brewing.

Run a side by side test and see for yourself. [rightful]

as far as why do I want it done fast....I don't know..lol..I'm just regurgitating what I've read. I'm a pretty new brewer. I've only brewed 5 Mr Beer kits since February this year, so I'm very much in the sponge stage...soaking up all the knowledge I can.

I'll definitely check out the Aussie forum.

by the way... your beer will be fine.

I brewed my first 4 or 5 batches at 24C with a heat belt because of the instructions that come with the kit, but they were all fine.

I'm sure they probably weren't the best of beers but I drank and enjoyed every last one of them and all I remember is that they were good and I was proud of them [biggrin]

Welcome to the game! Go buy some hops [biggrin]

as long as you don't kick this Yank out.

You'll be right mate. There are a number of people from all over the world there. Just because the title is "Aussie Home brewer" doesn't mean it is exclusive to Australians. I am sure you will pick up a lot of good information there.

Cheers

Hi guys.

Welcome to the forum LyleC1. [happy]

Sorry to sort of interject in this thread with the following question but I suppose it is relevant here.

I'm about to embark on brewing some lager style beers at 12-15\xb0C temperatures very soon, so I was just wondering about the correct method for pitching yeast at these lower temperatures.

I read on one of PB2's on-site recipes, to pitch @ approx 22-24\xb0C & then lower the temperature of the FV down to 12-15\xb0C over the next 12-24hrs.

Would this be the best practice for pitching yeast when brewing at these lower temperatures? Or is it not quite that cut & dried?

Beer.

Would this be the best practice for pitching yeast when brewing at these lower temperatures? Or is it not quite that cut & dried?

what you want to do with any brew, but especially a Lager is ensure you have healthy yeast vitality and a suitable pitch for the volume/SG. Pitching then at a higher temperature ensures that there is a healthy population breeding away, most growth happens over the first 24 hours so dropping it back after that point is OK and then the yeast can slow right down and chomp away...

well.. at least thats my understanding.. I dont brew Lagers though so I will stand corrected if Ive got something wrong.. seems to make sense though to me .

so..I think I'll start pulling my temps down by 1 degree every 12 hours so as not to shock the little yeast critters. I dropped it one degree F last night, I'll do another one about noon today, until i get it to about 18C...I think that's about as cool as I can get and maintain really good control, without adding cooling capability.

Nah just drop it to 18C... it will take a bit of time for the whole mass to drop and it's not as if you are dropping it by a lot. At 1F every 12 hours you won't even get it to 18C by the time it is finished and the critical time in brewing is the first 3-4 days when almost everything happens.

Archived