Coopers Community

Drinking too soon?

Nick

i had my first mini sesh last nite, had 3 tallies of Coopers lager that came with the kit. loved it, they have been in the bott for 2 weeks. then i got curious and tried an Amber Ale which had only been bottled a week. i used one of the last botts that i had filled after tipping the FV abit to get it all out. it only disturbed the yeast slightly. i had no room in the freezer to stand it so i layed it down in the door for half hour while drinking the last coopers lager. when i poured it it was as cloudy as, but tasted ok so down it went. i looked at the botts still stored in the garage and they are clear. the outcome is that i have had to spend the day in bed with the most severe cramps ive had since the misses was in labour...and ive invented some completely new species of f**ts and smells. i am seasoned with the bought stuff, but not with homies. in all seriousness, i dont want any thing to spoil my new found love of brewing, but i cant afford days off work. any suggestions as to what caused such violent intestinal activity??

Hi Nick,Their are alot of strange stomach bugs getting around the coast at the present time put it down to that.[lol] [lol] .The new species of f**ts could be your first yeast f**ts,they too will pass.[pinched]

A Bavarian friend once told me that if you have a few hefeweizen's the nights can be very windy [lol]

Best thing is to try and keep the sediment (yeast mainly) in the bottle - if/when you have a brew fridge, cold crash for a few days before bottling to clear it up a bit and reduce the amount of yeast that you end up bottling.

I would say two things:

Don't lay your bottles on their sides...ever

Don't drink your beer after a week in the bottle.... no matter how desperate.

PS I have never poured a cloudy beer unless on purpose, all my beers are clear. Stand them in the fridge upright, the longer the better. I also pour the last couple of mils straight down the hatch and when I rinse the bottle plenty of yeast still goes down the sink.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm farting like a trouper all day after sampling a pretty young hefeweizen last night.

When the beer is that young the yeast is still pretty active and hasn't settled properly so our insides get a bit of a 'WTF?' moment...

The obvious elephant in the room here is maltodextrin. Nick has made his first batch using the kit that came with the FV, i.e BE1.

Unfermentable sugars are highly caramelized sugars' date=' like those in caramel malts, and long chain sugars referred to as dextrins. Dextrin malt and malto-dextrin powder have been previously mentioned in the ingredients chapters. Dextrins are tasteless carbohydrates that hang around, adding some weight and viscosity to the beer. The effect is fairly limited and some brewers suspect that dextrins are a leading cause of "beer farts," when these otherwise unfermentable carbohydrates are finally broken down in the intestines. [/quote']

"some brewers suspect that dextrins are a leading cause of "beer farts..."

"Suspect", not proven.

"...leading cause", among many others.

Maltodextrin is not as evil as many believe. Sure, in the amounts in BE1 and BE2 it may be, but I have never used an entire box of either in a 23 lt batch since my early brewing days.

Dextrins are dextrins whether they come from grains (eg cara-pils) or malto-dextrin.

To the OP. Could be those good bugs are fighting the bad bugs and your farts are the dying gasps of those undesirable bacterium.

Or botulism (kidding)

Let those beers condition for 3-4 weeks,then at least 1 week fridge time. 2 weeks in the fridge gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation in the glass. And it's the yeast that ferments in your intestines that're the culprit. Like beans. But folks pay a fortune for brewer's yeast capsules at the health food store. Just drink a home brew & you get all those nice B-complex vitamines your body pees out every time. They also get burned off by floresent lighting.

the outcome is that i have had to spend the day in bed with the most severe cramps ive had since the misses was in labour...

Have you been on antibiotics recently? Sounds like yeast intolerance. If it happens again, I would consider going to the doctors.

I guess seeing as everyone else has lowered the tone a bit (it's normally me!!)...

I used to drink a bit of Boag's Draught, back in the days when I didn't know any better, but knew VB and Carlton Draught were sh#t. I had to stop cos I started getting real bad farts every time I drank it.

Fat Yak seems to give me really bad farts- also happened to a mate, so we're wondering if they use maltodextrin in that... Weggl's version doesn't.

I had a Celtic Red Ale when I was in Ireland (Cork) that was bewdiful so I drank a heap. But then got the farts real bad.

Now you all know much more about me than I would normally share [lol]

Farts are normal. Spending a day in bed with severe stomach cramps is a bit of a problem though.

It was probably just a bug that you had and the yeast contributed to the discomfort but if you find that it keeps recurring after drinking your beer then get it checked out.

As Mark said, you may have an intolerance to yeast.

Note: Hairy is not a medical doctor and is probably just talking crap (as per usual).

i often use the line "trust me, i'm almost a doctor" but you guys sound about as qualified as i am!

seriously, i still feel a bit off, so a bug seems the most likely, combined with a mega yeast overdose to boot. i will heed the many warnings and words of wisdom about proper conditioning and aging, and i'll also make sure that i minimise the yeast when i pour. Beer is goodness in a glass, i just need to show it some respect and treat it like a baby when its young. anyway, i'll have a couple tonite with the footy and will let you know how it goes. if you live anywhere near Yandina, you might hear anyway.

Cheers all

Nick you will survive it will be all good "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"& looks like your a Yandina boy,if you where one of those inported people who live in Noosa these days it could be different.[bandit] [bandit] [bandit]

what a difference a week makes, brew tastes unreal, stomach very happy, suns out, fish are biting in the maroochy, just bottled a pale ale that was good enough to drink from the FV and Manly are gone. Does it get any better???

Cheers to all

• 4 years later...

I've been brewing for about 18 months and (funnily enough just recently put two and two together. .) Contracted 'dishydrosis eczema' commonly known as pompholyx practically the very week I began brewing. My hands blister up and crust over with dead skin until the next onslaught hits. It's incredibly itchy and I can't use my hands or bend fingers during a flare up

I've done alot of research lately cause its sheeting me completely and found that it's caused by candida yeast/bacteria. Been on medication for it for a week and now when I have a dew beers I'm getting stomach upsets. Finally my hands are clearing and I haven't had an itch since so pretty certain the condition has been diagnosed finally (even Doctors say there is no cure) The condition is 'leaky gut' syndrome where an overgrowth of candida yeast forms and histamine reacts to counter the infection. Problem for me is: home brew is causing it so we'll see how I go with the meds and pro biotics. I'd hate to have to give this up..

maybe you need to filter the beer

+1

If the yeast is the cause' date=' take steps to remove it from the beer once primary fermentation is complete. I believe there is a filter paper you can run liquid through that will remove the yeast. 0.1 micron paper?

Complete removal of the yeast may not be necessary. Simply killing the active cells may do the trick. This is done through pasteurization. This involves heating your beer to a certain temperature (usually above 60°C) & holding them at that temperature for a set time to kill the yeast cells.

A simple search of the WWW will provide you with suitable information.

Good luck sorting it out.

Lusty.[/size']

I've been brewing for about 18 months and (funnily enough just recently put two and two together. .) Contracted 'dishydrosis eczema' commonly known as pompholyx practically the very week I began brewing. My hands blister up and crust over with dead skin until the next onslaught hits. It's incredibly itchy and I can't use my hands or bend fingers during a flare up

I've done alot of research lately cause its sheeting me completely and found that it's caused by candida yeast/bacteria. Been on medication for it for a week and now when I have a dew beers I'm getting stomach upsets. Finally my hands are clearing and I haven't had an itch since so pretty certain the condition has been diagnosed finally (even Doctors say there is no cure) The condition is 'leaky gut' syndrome where an overgrowth of candida yeast forms and histamine reacts to counter the infection. Problem for me is: home brew is causing it so we'll see how I go with the meds and pro biotics. I'd hate to have to give this up..

Allergic to beer' date=' that's gotta suck[img']crying[/img]. Good luck with your meds and hopefully as Lusty said filtering may sort it out.

Yea, I read about that too. Everyone has candida, but not everyone has candidias. Problem begins when the balance gets out of hand. It has to do with candida producing aceldehyde, and that's apparently where the problems kick in

Here's an article (just one of many that relates to the puzzle) http://www.yeastinfection.org/yeast-infections-are-common-in-beer-drinkers/

...any suggestions as to what caused such violent intestinal activity??

I suspect it's live yeast' date=' not maltodextrin or anything as some have suggested. I experienced significant gastro-intestinal 'disturbances' when I got into homebrew... it's actually taken me about a year to 'adapt', though even now if I drink over a certain amount, I'll still encounter some degree of discomfort. Even with a very careful pour there's still going to be yeast in the beer.

Complete removal of the yeast may not be necessary. Simply killing the active cells may do the trick. This is done through pasteurization. This involves heating your beer to a certain temperature (usually above 60°C) & holding them at that temperature for a set time to kill the yeast cells.
Of course, if you do this you then have to use an alternative method of carbonating the beer... forced carbonation is a whole other complication and expense!

Thanks fellas, I'll definitely start looking into pasturising. There's hope yet!

It's an absolute bastard of a thing lemme tell ya.. once the itch starts it just spreads, then blisters form over the next few days along with an itch so bad you can't sleep so really glad to even get an actual diagnosis finally. It took a lot to get just that

Funny thing is, I've always had 'flatulence' with home brew that never went away despite people saying you get used to it. I used to have an irritable bowel but this stopped wgen the pompholyx started.. now I've been on meds and pro biotics it's returned and the symptoms stopped

Archived