Coopers Community

I have half a kilo of Brew Enhancer 1 ...

King Ruddager

... what should I build?

Last night I bottled my Green Neck Lager which will be great ... in three months when it's finally conditioned, ugh [sad] That recipe called for half a bag of brew enhancer 1, so now it's time to use the other half.

I was thinking of simply adding it to the Aztec Gold recipe to bump it from mid-strength to full, but I'm not sure how long that one will take to ferment and I'm looking for quick results. On top of that it's winter so it doesn't quite seem right.

So, anyone got quick and simple recipes that will use it and leave nothing left?

... what should I build?

So, anyone got quick and simple recipes that will use it and leave nothing left?

Well that all depends on your own tastes mate.

Its sugar and maltodextrin so it would go with any kit and make beer.

500g BE1, 1kg of DME and add kit of choice.

I have a personal liking for the English bitter and the IPA kits both are very solid kits that are exceptional without to much additional tweaking.

it could just be added to any of the kit cans really. you'll get a midstrength/light beer. My favourite can at the moment is Real Ale. but if it was me I'd get another BE1 or 500g light malt and add that too if only shopping from the supermarkets. I suggest brewing anything for at least ten days, then bottled. If the bottles are kept warm (20c-25c) they could be drank in a week. My brews usually don't get a chance to age. lol.

Actually, as this is only my third brew (and also in the spirit of experimenting), perhaps I'll combine it with light dry malt and just do another original series lager. That way I'll be able to tell what difference the malt makes to the taste

I dont see the problem with adding half a bag to a kilo of dme

1kg dme + 300g dex + 200g malto + kit seems to me like a respectable novice recipe, rather that then throw it out and have to buy dextrose anyway.

Just BE1 with kit is rubbish but a little malto will add head retention, body and improve the mouthfeel of a simple kit beer.

+1 to scrubbing the OS Lager, its not the best

in three months when it's finally conditioned' date=' ugh [sad'].....

You don't have to wait three months mate - two weeks minimum.

... Bottles may be stored (conditioned) for long periods of time (3 months or more). Conditioning should improve flavour, reduce the size of the bubbles and make the yeast sediment more compacted.

STEP 4: ENJOY

While we recommend leaving your botlles to condition at or above 18\xb0C for at least 2 weeks - Lagers generally benefit from further conditioning

I always at least try mine at 2 weeks to see how it tastes. If it tastes ok it doen't seem to last a month [crying] even though i know it will keep getting better

Yeah, I've set aside 4 from my first batch and will do the same with the lager, but I didn't get it started nearly quickly enough so now I want to brew like crazy and build up a bit of a glut so that there'll always be something good to drink.

in three months when it's finally conditioned' date=' ugh [sad'].....

You don't have to wait three months mate - two weeks minimum.

... Bottles may be stored (conditioned) for long periods of time (3 months or more). Conditioning should improve flavour, reduce the size of the bubbles and make the yeast sediment more compacted.

STEP 4: ENJOY

While we recommend leaving your botlles to condition at or above 18\xb0C for at least 2 weeks - Lagers generally benefit from further conditioning

I always at least try mine at 2 weeks to see how it tastes. If it tastes ok it doen't seem to last a month [crying] even though i know it will keep getting better

Don't be surpised if the Lager is a bit iffy at two weeks. A lager is definitely one that needs a little aging.

But by all means give it a go; it is good to get a taste of how they progress over time.

+1 to scrubbing the OS Lager' date=' its not the best[/quote']

Sheesh, if we deleted the highest selling beer kit in the world (OS Lager) the DIY BEER department may have to shed jobs [crying]

Ruddager, BE1 is 60% dextrose and 40% maltodextrin.

+1 to scrubbing the OS Lager' date=' its not the best.[/quote']

You haven't tasted it have you [lol]

For the record and to be fair I would like to state that the above is an opinion based on my taste preference from approx 4 years ago when I last brewed it and my methods may have been questionable back then [bandit]

Sheesh, if we deleted the highest selling beer kit in the world (OS Lager) the DIY BEER department may have to shed jobs [crying]

Is it the best seller because it is in the kits when purchased. I am not the biggest fan of it (I have brewed it a couple of times to try and change my mind)

Even today I'm still tossing up whether to make a standard lager or English bitter. Probably won't make the decision until I'm standing in Big W, looking at the shelf.

I'm definitely just going to combine my 500g of BE1 with 500g of light dry malt and a can of something, but what?

English Bitter?

OS Lager?

Dark Ale?

Mexican Cerveza?

Real Ale?

Something else???

ugh. I need more kits.

Even today I'm still tossing up whether to make a standard lager or English bitter. Probably won't make the decision until I'm standing in Big W, looking at the shelf.

I'm definitely just going to combine my 500g of BE1 with 500g of light dry malt and a can of something, but what?

English Bitter?

OS Lager?

Dark Ale?

Mexican Cerveza?

Real Ale?

Something else???

ugh. I need more kits.

much to pb2's consternation, I'm 8 brews in after an 8 year hiatus, and in both spells of brewing, the OS lager is the only one that I've twice found to be undrinkable. no offence pb, but it's a rubbish kit.

the OS real ale is the safest kit - but so far the Aussie pale ale is by far and away the best kit. I'd go with that in most cases where I have random fermentables that need using..

firstly, English Bitter!

The 500g BE1 and 500g LDM will be fine.

And regarding the Lager kit, I quite liked it.

It doesn't taste like lager.

It doesn't look like lager.

It doesn't use lager yeast.

You don't brew it like lager.

But if you consider it a faily plane ale, its quite nice. Its refreshing, fizzy and beer.

I agree though that its probably only the best selling kit because a) it comes with the FV and b) its called 'lager'

But I think Coopers have done a good job of balancing it between being kinda like lager and being dead easy to brew as a complete noob.

If the beginner kit came with a proper lager kit or a pilsener, the FV would be used once then stuck in the shed to gather dust.

I do remember it tasting like crap when bottling and even after 2 weeks, but once it hit 4 weeks it was 'ok', and more aging made it 'nice'.

Bang a load of saaz and magnum in there and it would probably upgrade to 'good' or even 'mmm'... [biggrin]

Archived