Coopers Community

Sprinkle, stir or hydrate?

I'm seeking comments from the community after i read the following article. Whilst I used to stir in my dry yeast, quite successfully, I now sprinkle, also successfully. Your experienced comments appreciated, ian

"Dry yeast should also never be sprinkled on top of the wort or must. The high osmotic pressure of the wort can shock yeasts cells before they have a chance to activate. Instead its best to rehydrate your yeast and then add it to the wort".

https://homebrewingaustralia.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/yeast-starters/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IanWin said:

I'm seeking comments from the community after i read the following article. Whilst I used to stir in my dry yeast, quite successfully, I now sprinkle, also successfully. Your experienced comments appreciated, ian

"Dry yeast should also never be sprinkled on top of the wort or must. The high osmotic pressure of the wort can shock yeasts cells before they have a chance to activate. Instead its best to rehydrate your yeast and then add it to the wort".

Most of the yeast packets tell you to sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort after you have taken a SG sample.

You can also hydrate the yeast following the instructions.

I have been sprinkling the yeast for many years & always had good results.

• Like 1

That comment is pretty old, 2015. You could follow the recommendation from the manufacturer.  However,  from my way of thinking it comes down to personal preference. I am dedicated  to making starters.  I like to use liquid yeast so I overbuild a starter store the part I don't use then use that for my next starter.  That way I know I am pitching the correct amount of healthy, active yeast.   The one thing you do not want to do is not pitch enough yeast. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just dump the contents of the packet on top as soon as I've finished filling the FV.  Never had any problems and as for under-pitching, the kits always work with the supplied amount, that many say is not enough.  Yes, there are "ideals" but I've never found the need to calculate how many billion cells I have.  I do harvest yeast and sometimes make starters but there is nothing scientific or measured about it.

Here is a photographic example that dispels another myth, ie: You can only keep harvested yeast in the fridge for couple of weeks.  These are pictures taken over the last 2 -3 days of some Cooper's Pale Ale commercial yeast harvested from 6 stubbies over 15 months ago (Feb-March 2023).  I used it once and then collected and washed it.  I built this starter just the other day using 1.5 litres of LDME wort at 1.040.  I used a dropper to pull 20 ml of slurry out of the jar so there was very little to begin with.  It has now grown to easily enough to pitch into a 23 litre brew.  I don't have a use for it as I'm doing lagers at the moment.  I just wondered if it was still any good.

3 days ago this was undisturbed yeast that had been sitting in the fridge for nearly 15 months.20240507_155419.thumb.jpg.1179306c935517f76eb2e32ca1ebbc51.jpg

Here it is warmed up and agitated into suspension.  There is approximately 250 ml in total volume.

20240507_164428.thumb.jpg.570f471b610a88b2f26f399a1d3b1453.jpg

This is 20 ml by dropper added to the wort.  It was brought into the house to keep warm.

20240507_164420.thumb.jpg.2f9dfddf11708b90bd9e330ca0c58274.jpg

This is the air-lock bubbling this morning.

20240510_104531.thumb.jpg.e55f5d5f75e68f8b2ddc8e9e89861ac3.jpg

and finally, here is enough healthy new yest to pitch a 23 litre FV of Ale.  No stir plate, just gentle swirl every time you look at it.  That's 5 mm deep over the bottom of a 2 litre flagon.

20240510_104548.thumb.jpg.573302df6ccc3c00b001df8904ef4c88.jpg

Edited by glivo
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

That comment is pretty old, 2015. You could follow the recommendation from the manufacturer.  However,  from my way of thinking it comes down to personal preference. I am dedicated  to making starters.  I like to use liquid yeast so I overbuild a starter store the part I don't use then use that for my next starter.  That way I know I am pitching the correct amount of healthy, active yeast.   The one thing you do not want to do is not pitch enough yeast. 

+1 to this. The benefits to making a starter are two fold. You know if your yeast is good enough to do the job. And you get to keep some and dont have to buy another packet next time. I do starters even for dry yeast. You don't know how its been freighted or stored since manufacture.

You make starters your 100% guarenteed to get a good ferment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IanWin said:

I have only very rarely stirred yeast in. When using dry yeast, I always used to just sprinkle it on top or into the FV while filling it from a cube, which could be considered stirring. These days, I use starters and overbuild them, so I can keep a little for the next starter. That saves money, as yeast is a hellishly expensive ingredient. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty_G said:

Yes, it is, but then so Iam I 🤣 & it does come down to personal choice or even how much time you have on your hands.

Even being retired I don't seem to have as much time as I did working full time.

I don't mind paying a few bucks for a decent yeast.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, glivo said:

I just dump the contents of the packet on top as soon as I've finished filling the FV.  Never had any problems and as for under-pitching, the kits always work with the supplied amount, that many say is not enough.  Yes, there are "ideals" but I've never found the need to calculate how many billion cells I have.  I do harvest yeast and sometimes make starters but there is nothing scientific or measured about it.

Here is a photographic example that dispels another myth, ie: You can only keep harvested yeast in the fridge for couple of weeks.  These are pictures taken over the last 2 -3 days of some Cooper's Pale Ale commercial yeast harvested from 6 stubbies over 15 months ago (Feb-March 2023).  I used it once and then collected and washed it.  I built this starter just the other day using 1.5 litres of LDME wort at 1.040.  I used a dropper to pull 20 ml of slurry out of the jar so there was very little to begin with.  It has now grown to easily enough to pitch into a 23 litre brew.  I don't have a use for it as I'm doing lagers at the moment.  I just wondered if it was still any good.

3 days ago this was undisturbed yeast that had been sitting in the fridge for nearly 15 months.20240507_155419.thumb.jpg.1179306c935517f76eb2e32ca1ebbc51.jpg

Here it is warmed up and agitated into suspension.  There is approximately 250 ml in total volume.

20240507_164428.thumb.jpg.570f471b610a88b2f26f399a1d3b1453.jpg

This is 20 ml by dropper added to the wort.  It was brought into the house to keep warm.

20240507_164420.thumb.jpg.2f9dfddf11708b90bd9e330ca0c58274.jpg

This is the air-lock bubbling this morning.

20240510_104531.thumb.jpg.e55f5d5f75e68f8b2ddc8e9e89861ac3.jpg

and finally, here is enough healthy new yest to pitch a 23 litre FV of Ale.  No stir plate, just gentle swirl every time you look at it.  That's 5 mm deep over the bottom of a 2 litre flagon.

20240510_104548.thumb.jpg.573302df6ccc3c00b001df8904ef4c88.jpg

Excellent information, thanks to all who replied. I'm going to delve into harvesting some Coopers commercial yeast. It reminds me somewhat of making sourdough bread Starters! ian

• Like 1

Very interesting discussion - thanks everybody! I am a sprinkler - supplied yeast on top of my newly mixed extract brew. It is almost a ceremony - the sprinkling of the yeast, then the clipping down of the lid! 

The granules in the supplied yeast - I'm thinking that is some sort of 'stuff' with the yeast carried in it?

• Like 1

There is an excellent video on how to harvest the yeast from the Pale Ale and build a starter from it.  Worth doing if you like playing around and you'll learn from it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, glivo said:

There is an excellent video on how to harvest the yeast from the Pale Ale and build a starter from it.  Worth doing if you like playing around and you'll learn from it.

Harvesting Commercial Cooper's Yeast

The only downside is that you have to drink 6 stubbies really quickly.  I did it on my birthday last year, hic!

Edited by glivo
  • Haha 1

I mainly use kit yeast, occasionally harvest Coopers yeast from stubbies and less frequently buy dry lager yeast.
I used to sprinkle on top only as per instructions but got annoyed with some yeast sticking to the side of the fermenting vessel. So now I stir it in.
I haven't noticed any difference in beer quality but the quality of my beer might not be as good as those who hydrate or make starters. Who knows? As mentioned above, each to their own.
With harvested Coopers yeast I just pour in without stirring as it seems to combine pretty well anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

The granules in the supplied yeast - I'm thinking that is some sort of 'stuff' with the yeast carried in it?

Yes it's a coating. I believe it allows the life of the yeast to be extended and also is a nutrient for the yeast. I will stand corrected on this because I'm not 100% certain but I seem to remember reading this once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerdo said:

I mainly use kit yeast, occasionally harvest Coopers yeast from stubbies and less frequently buy dry lager yeast.
I used to sprinkle on top only as per instructions but got annoyed with some yeast sticking to the side of the fermenting vessel. So now I stir it in.
I haven't noticed any difference in beer quality but the quality of my beer might not be as good as those who hydrate or make starters. Who knows? As mentioned above, each to their own.
With harvested Coopers yeast I just pour in without stirring as it seems to combine pretty well anyway.

If it's going on the sides of the FV, you are sprinkling it too hard.  I don't sprinkle it at all.  I just cut the foil pack and tip it all in right in the middle, which is usually pretty foamy from oxygenating the wort as I fill with the hose.  The dried yeast granules come into contact with plenty of moisture doing it this way and I have not ever had any problems.  You need to be aware that some packaged dry yeast is not meant to be hydrated and the instructions for use do not tell you to do it for whatever the reason may be.  I see no benefit in hydrating packet dried yeast for kit home brew beer or stirring it in once added.  It isn't in the instructions and doesn't need to be done.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Like Mr Beerdo, I'm a stirrer!

Can yeast, tipped on top, then stirred in.

We all have different ways! Most ways make good Beer.

Same here. I was a sprinkler.  But due to water tension sometimes the yeast just floats on the surface. Now I give it a bit of a stir to ensure some of it sinks.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Beerdo said:

Yes it's a coating. I believe it allows the life of the yeast to be extended and also is a nutrient for the yeast. I will stand corrected on this because I'm not 100% certain but I seem to remember reading this once.

I think that would be right Beerdo, I add a teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient to all of my brews & it has a bit of a party with the yeast before it starts to settle.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I think that would be right Beerdo, I add a teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient to all of my brews & it has a bit of a party with the yeast before it starts to settle.

Nice to hear from you, Phil. I read in the news yesterday someone made a grisly discovery walking along the beach down your way. I'm glad it wasn't you - the discoverer or the victim.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

Nice to hear from you, Phil. I read in the news yesterday someone made a grisly discovery walking along the beach down your way. I'm glad it wasn't you - the discoverer or the victim.

I am still here Beerdo, the beach is only one street away & I couldn't help but notice the police presence & roadblocks ect.

It wouldn't be something you would want to encounter everyday.

• Like 1