Coopers Community

Cereal Mash Using Raw Supermarket Rice

iBooz2

I have added this thread so as not to corrupt any other thread with discussions on the subject of using raw rice in brewing.

When I made my rice lagers I cheated and used the more expensive rolled / flaked rice ($10 kg) but my notes to self when contemplating using raw supermarket rice as an adjunct are below.  Hopefully it will help someone else and others can add to or remove from my process notes if they wish.

Using Raw Rice in a Cereal Mash.

• You need a large stock pot of say 20 L capacity.
  • You need to have a ratio of rice to base malts to help enzyme activity say 1.5 kg rice to 0.5 kg of base malts. Total grist in this case is 2.0 kg.
  • You need to have a cereal mash water ratio of 4 L per kg of grist so in the above example, 8 L of cereal mash water will be the minimum required.
  • The raw rice needs to be double milled if not triple milled separately from the base malt which you mill only once.
  • Heat the cereal mash water to 45 C and add the 1.5 kg milled rice and the 0.5 kg milled base malt.
  • Hold the cereal mash temperature at 45 c for 15 minutes stirring constantly.
  • Then heat the cereal mash slowly to 75 C still stirring constantly.
  • Hold the cereal mash at 75 C for 15 minutes, still stirring constantly.
  • Then bring it to a gentle boil and boil for 15 minutes to complete the gelatinization process, once again, still stirring constantly.
  • Meanwhile, have your main mash sitting at the beta-glucanase / protein rest step of 45 C for at least 15 - 20 minutes.
  • When ready, use the hot rice cereal mash as a decoction addition to the main mash to help bring its temperature up to the next mash step of 65 – 68 C.
  • Now hold the main mash at 65 - 68 C for 60 minutes.
  • Then heat the main mash to 76 C for 15 minutes which is a mash out (optional).
  • Sparge with 76 C water as required to get to the correct pre-boil volume for your brewing system.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I have added this thread so as not to corrupt any other thread with discussions on the subject of using raw rice in brewing.

When I made my rice lagers I cheated and used the more expensive rolled / flaked rice ($10 kg) but my notes to self when contemplating using raw supermarket rice as an adjunct are below.  Hopefully it will help someone else and others can add to or remove from my process notes if they wish.

• You need to have a ratio of rice to base malts to help enzyme activity say 1.5 kg rice to 0.5 kg of base malts. Total grist in this case is 2.0 kg.
  • You need to have a cereal mash water ratio of 4 L per kg of grist so in the above example, 8 L of cereal mash water will be the minimum required.
  • The raw rice needs to be double milled if not triple milled separately from the base malt which you mill only once.
  • Heat the cereal mash water to 45 C and add the 1.5 kg milled rice and the 0.5 kg milled base malt.
  • Then bring it to a gentle boil and boil for 15 minutes to complete the gelatinization process, once again, still stirring constantly.
  • Meanwhile, have your main mash sitting at the beta-glucanase / protein rest step of 45 C for at least 15 - 20 minutes.
  • When ready, use the hot rice cereal mash as a decoction addition to the main mash to help bring its temperature up to the next mash step of 65 – 68 C.
  • Then heat the main mash to 76 C for 15 minutes which is a mash out (optional).
  • Sparge with 76 C water as required to get to the correct pre-boil volume for your brewing system.

Nice thread. Using store bought rice saves heaps of $$$.

I followed this process early on but then experimented and eventually settled on a simpler process. https://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

My process is sort of the other way around to yours. I only use the one pot for the mash and use about 60% of the total mash water in the first stage. 1kg woolies rice and a couple of handfuls of pilsner. Hold at 73c for 10 mins then I bring it up to 99c and hold for 30 mins to cook the rice. I found no difference in efficiency from milling the rice to not milling at all. After 30 mins and the rice is cooked through I pour the 40% of the mash water to drop the main mash into the mid 60s. Then add the rest of the pilsener and mash at 64c for 60 mins from there.

I did find I needed to boil longer for clarity with this method but a bit less stuffing around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here's my process for a cereal mash using Woolworths Rice.  Similar, but different to @iBooz2's process.  Seems equally effective.  No idea whose process is better, easier, more effective.

I have also done a similar Rice Lager here, using Maharajah's Choice Rice Flakes from Woolworths.  My comparison between a commercial Rice Lager and my 2 versions (Cereal Mash and Rice Flakes) is here.  In summary, the difference is negligible (to my tastes).  However, the Rice cereal mash was actually fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This thread was created as a discussion point topic, so all inputs are very welcome.  Like I said I have not done a cereal mash as I had the means to obtain the outcomes another way and I chose that way, but others may decide to do it their own way to suit their circumstances and budgets - all good.

Hopefully we can all learn a little bit more from each other and brew better beers via threads like these.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Thanks heaps for going to so much detail 😅

• Like 2