Coopers Community

Fishing

Love my fishing too HH.  And also, do not get out into the sport enough.   Usually due to wind, weather or tides or the sheet fight at the local overcrowded boat ramps to launch and retrieve.

I have two boats, one a 14 Jabiru tinny with 15 HP Honda 4-stroke on the back.  Use this one for freshwater fishing in amongst the snags and dead trees.  Used bait, lure and fly at many stunning fishing spots around VIC and NSW.  Boat #2 is a 5 metre Streaker Navigator half cab with a 70 HP 4-stroke Yamaha on the back.  Used for sea and bay fishing in Westernport and Port Philip for squid, king George whiting, gummy shark and snapper.  Have also used it for chasing big Murray Cod up in lake Eildon.  

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

You've started a thing here now.  Fishing is my passion. Along with brewing. 

I did a quick search thinking I could resurrect a previous topic but couldn't find much. Recent holiday has me thinking I need to get out more. Can't wait until the snapper ban ends. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

I did a quick search thinking I could resurrect a previous topic but couldn't find much. Recent holiday has me thinking I need to get out more. Can't wait until the snapper ban ends. 

I'm so missing catching my Snapper. It was usual for me to get my two ten kilo fish. Then a feed of crabs 

• Like 2

I'm a boring fresh water fishing bloke - I know it ain't the same as the big pond, but I get a feed just the same. Love the gums and a river - BBQ and a cuppla beers. Lifes good.

Do quite a bit of fishing in the upper Muzza River in Vic. Yella Belly and a few decent Murray cod. Got a little spot about 2 hours outta Melbourne where I can get a haul of redfin as well.

Redfin taste just beautiful but ya gotta get a decent size to get a decent feed.

Fished years ago up North off Magnetic Island somewhere - out past the reef - got a whole heap of Coral trout and Red Emperor. Took back to the Island and some bloke cooked them on the BBQ, just outstanding. Never had anything like it.   

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I don't fish anymore after I learnt that fish only feed twice a day just before you get there and straight after you leave

Yep, I worked that theory out many years ago, so now, I say out loud to them (the fish), we're here to go water skiing today.  But instead of throwing skis and ropes into the water I throw baits on hooks with lines.  Gets' em every time.

• Haha 6

• 3 months later...

I took my middle grandson 9 years old for his first proper fishing trip. Well I've created a monster 😁    He out fished Pop. A 38cm Snapper. A 42cm King George Whiting and a nice big Snook. Hes addicted and already planning our next outing. We didn't set the world on fire but caught us dinner for tonight.  Obviously he had to release the snapper. Shame it was a lovely fat little fish.

IMG_20240525_160113.jpg

IMG_20240525_160051.jpg

IMG_20240525_160035.jpg

IMG_20240525_160045.jpg

IMG_20240525_171757.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, kmar92 said:

Nice haul. How come the Snapper had to be released, looks like it is legal length to me?

Yes it was legal kmar. We have a snapper ban at the moment in South Aus. It's in its fourth year. Which is a shame because they are everywhere. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I took my middle grandson 9 years old for his first proper fishing trip. Well I've created a monster 😁    He out fished Pop. A 38cm Snapper. A 42cm King George Whiting and a nice big Snook. Hes addicted and already planning our next outing. We didn't set the world on fire but caught us dinner for tonight.  Obviously he had to release the snapper. Shame it was a lovely fat little fish.

IMG_20240525_160113.jpg

IMG_20240525_160051.jpg

IMG_20240525_160035.jpg

IMG_20240525_160045.jpg

IMG_20240525_171757.jpg

Good stuff Paley, can you send me a couple of fillets please. Ta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good stuff Paley, can you send me a couple of fillets please. Ta.

Three grandsons smashed the lot with a bit of help from me. I found the snook to be the tastiest. King George is a nice fish, but over rated. Theres no way I'd pay 100 bucks a kilo. Having said that, fuel for the boat and bait isnt cheap these days.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Three grandsons smashed the lot with a bit of help from me. I found the snook to be the tastiest. King George is a nice fish, but over rated. Theres no way I'd pay 100 bucks a kilo. Having said that, fuel for the boat and bait isnt cheap these days.

Yeah, I don't reckon KGW is a big deal, I buy a lot of Blue Grenadier fresh which is from the Flathead family & it is a fraction of the cost. Snook is nice also.

I can eat any fish/seafood etc. & I have a lot of it. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I can eat any fish/seafood etc. & I have a lot of it. 

Yeah me too, theres nothing from the sea I wont eat, unless its poisonous. My grandkids are following in Pops footsteps with an appetite for anything from the sea.

All three will eat oysters natural, which is unusual for kids.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 3

Just now, Pale Man said:

Yeah me too, theres nothing from the sea I wont eat, unless its poisoness. My grandkids are following in Pops footsteps with an appetite for anything from the sea.

All three will eat oysters natural, which is unusual for kids.

Pasta Marina, Seafood Pizza, Fishermans Basket, Fish & Chips, Salt & Pepper Squid - bring it on.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Yes it was legal kmar. We have a snapper ban at the moment in South Aus. It's in its fourth year. Which is a shame because they are everywhere. 

😕  Huh??  What next?  On the other hand, we now know only too well how over-fishing can decimate a fish stock.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...