Coopers Community

Cubing All Grain Beers.

Pale Man

I've been doing cubing since I started all grain in 2012. It's a great alternative in my mind. I used to make 25 litre batches but I just do 20/21 litre batches for the kegs now. 

With the hop additions I didn't really adjust anything because most of the recipes I've done I made up myself, so with the late hopping it was just trying different timings until I found something I liked. 

There's no point adjusting early bittering additions though. The difference between 60 and 75 or 90 minutes is sweet FA. 

• Like 5

On 11/11/2023 at 3:17 PM, Pale Man said:

Im getting back into my All Grain brewing. I dont want to have to deal with chilling my wort, and then so I'm going down cubing my wort.

Theres some good brewers around that do this. So any advice would be good.

I keg, so is a 20 litre container ok?

Hopping..........do I need to change my hop schedule? Hops are in a hot wort for quite a while. Do I under hop for bitterness and flavour?

Any advice is welcome.

This my cubed Aussie lager in the fermenter the blue mark is 23 litres and there would be about 500-750 mls of starter in the wort from a 20 litre container fyi for volume!

IMG_1725.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I always cube my brews, let it cool on my workbench overnight, then transfer to the fermenter the next day.

‘I have never used my immersion chiller since I got the Grainfather, too much stuffing around and waste too much water (although I could put the water in the pool if I wanted), but rather stick with cubing. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I always cube my brews, let it cool on my workbench overnight, then transfer to the fermenter the next day.

‘I have never used my immersion chiller since I got the Grainfather, too much stuffing around and waste too much water (although I could put the water in the pool if I wanted), but rather stick with cubing. 

The only thing I could see being a benefit would be to water the grass if was planning  on it anyway.

• Like 3