Coopers Community

Buy in bulk and save

Malter White

2 minutes ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

Wow. That's expensive - though I have no idea what the going rate is. You'd be 2/3 of the way to a (cheap) full mill setup paying that.

I've got the KegLand one. It's been fine for what I use it for. I haven't used any others though so can't offer a comparison.

Mate it should have read 40cents per kilo.

Yeah, I like the look of the KL one.

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Should have read;

Malted Grain in 25 kg sacks unmilled.
Can be milled for you, but as they are sold at wholesale rate a milling charge of 40 cents a kg applies ($10 per 25kg sack)

Yes, it is, but over time it would add up.

Also, the cost of driving to Pooraka & back from Glenelg.

They also deliver up to 25kg for $6.50 with APD so either way it is still cheaper to buy a grain mill.

👍

1 hour ago, do not consume said:

I have a spare one if you can hold off I'll be down that way in the new year

Hey mate, you are a champion, that would be fantastic, as you know I would repay you in kind, & also as many beers as you want & also money.

You know you & your lovely wife are always welcome here, so I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers Beachy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

@Classic Brewing Co I'm still using my 3 roller grain mill from Kegland and i'm milling not only mine but all my customers too (i don't charge to mill haha) I've had this mill
For 5 years i reckon, works a treat. I mill on average 250kg - 300kg a month.

Good on you @Hoppy81 mate, that's encouraging, good to hear, maybe you can swing me a deal. 🤣

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate it should have read 40cents per kilo.

Yeah, I like the look of the KL one.

Haha - that's a lot cheaper. 

I ended up buying a mill so I could mill the grain just before I needed it and store the rest unmilled in buckets. It made it easier and cheaper to buy grain.

Edited by Popo the Degenerate
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

Haha - that's a lot cheaper. 

I ended up buying a mill so I could mill the grain just before I needed it and store the rest unmilled in buckets. It made it easier and cheaper to buy grain.

I think I will go for the 2-roller, should do the job & of course the plastic base board. I have just recently bought a cordless 21v drill so I will be good to go.

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/malt-muncher-2-roller-grain-mill

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/premium-plastic-board-for-mm-2-roller-and-3-roller-grain-mill-polypropylene-food-grade-plastic

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2023 at 2:08 PM, Malter White said:

I don't add hops to Coopers International or TC range any more because they're already prehopped. I save my hops experimentation for the basic range and Woolies "Larger" tins.

I just recently scored 29 cans of "still in date" WW Home Brand tins at a bargain price from a guy who had given up and was moving OS.  17 Lager and 12 Draught.  Now, on their own they are not great at all, but you can do what I've been doing lately.  You've probably already heard of the Toucan or 2 can brew.  Well, what I've been doing is mixing a can of the WWHB with the Cooper's Dark Ale and making a Brown Ale and I'll tell you what, it is not bad at all.  I just use a clean empty can to split one and then top it up to full with the other.  I use that 50 / 50 mixed full can for one FV and the 2 remaining half cans for the other.   Easy.

I have read that you can store open cans for a few weeks in the fridge if you cover them with Glad Wrap / Cling Wrap, but I just prefer to make double batches every time.  Depending upon how much and what type of sugar you use and if you buy your Cooper's on special or in bulk, you can turn out 30 longnecks for about $24.  I'm doing it cheaper than that at the moment because I scored the 29 tins very cheap and got my Cooper's Dark Ale on Special.

The current batches I have going are a variation on that still.  I used a full WWHB can and half a can of Cooper's Dark in each FV and only used half as much sugars.  It's a bit easier to do as you're only splitting one tin.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's we used to often drink a schooner of 50 at the bar and I've been pretty happy with this method.

• Like 8

On 2/29/2024 at 6:11 PM, glivo said:

Back in the late 70's and early 80's we used to often drink a schooner of 50 at the bar and I've been pretty happy with this method.

Still see it served at my local Golf Club and still my favorite drink across Winter.

I will give your Twocan a go.