Coopers Community

Level for bottling gauge

YeastieBabe

Hello and good evening 

My draught is looking good, it’s settled down on the airlock somewhat.

I dropped the barometer in and it’s reading 1.040.

If it’s the same reading tomorrow shall I bottle it or hope for it to go a little higher?

Theres nice little bubbles floating to the top.

I need to get my bottles cleaned and sterilised so aiming for tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YeastieBabe said:

Hello and good evening 

If it’s the same reading tomorrow shall I bottle it or hope for it to go a little higher?

I need to get my bottles cleaned and sterilised so aiming for tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks 

After reading your other posts, Your Hydrometer reading should be around 1.007 or so, if it is showing 1.040 then something is wrong, that would be roughly your starting
Gravity, did you put the yeast in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, YeastieBabe said:

Hello and good evening 

Thanks 

The hydrometer readings should go down not up as the beer ferments. When you have the same reading from one day to the next the fermentation should be finished but I agree with @Hoppy81, I would expect a reading a lot lower than that.

What was the original reading?

• Like 1

Hi guys yes I had another look and the barometer level does need to go down not up, my bad. It’s the first time I’ve checked it, I’m a novice give me a break. 
It’s been bubbling a couple weeks. 
I don’t think it’s hot hot enough as it was hovering 14 and should have been around 24. 
I’ll measure it again tomorrow and see what it says. 

Edited by YeastieBabe
Typo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, YeastieBabe said:

Hi guys yes I had another look and the barometer level does need to go down not up, my bad. It’s the first time I’ve checked it, I’m a novice give me a break. 
I don’t think it’s hot hot enough as it was hovering 14 and should have been around 24. 

If it's been that cool and you used an ale yeast it probably hasn't fermented much at all if anything. I'd be trying to warm it up and see if those readings start dropping.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, YeastieBabe said:

If it's truly 1.040 and you have the ale yeast at 14c, i'd say it's gone dormant and not doing anything, raise the temp to around 20°c and give the fermenter a gentle shake/swirl.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, YeastieBabe said:

If you have a sleeping bag opened it up fold it in half and wrap it around thr fermenter 

• Like 2

Alrighty, thanks for all the tips. I placed my brew in the fan range of our gas heating and the temp retained 20-24. I took a reading tonight with the hydrometer and it’s sitting at 1.010

Nice bubbles rising around the gauge so if it’s the same reading tomorrow I’m gonna bottle.

Warning - more questions…..

Can I sterilise the bottles a day or two before bottling or best on the day?

Next brew I’m doing is a coopers lager (this one is Cooper’s draught) so what adjunct do I add? BE?

I have some of those carbonation drops but only 60 drops and I have 1 litre bottles. Do I use 2 or 3 drops per bottle?

If I run out (which I think I will) how much sugar cos I have a tri-measure for 0.33 0.5 and 0.75 so would I do 1 x 0.33 and 1 x 0.75 of sugar per bottle? Or can I get away with just 0.75

Thank you

• Like 1

1.010 sounds much closer to the Final Gravity. If it's stable at that it should be fine to bottle.

Some people don't sanitize their bottles at all, they just clean them. Other people clean and sanitize. People here seem to enjoy robust discussions on that subject. Nobody I know of sterilizes them. Sterilization is a more complex procedure. I just sanitize mine on bottling day.

I don't know what adjuncts go into the Coopers Lager but if it is in the Recipe section of the Coopers DIY website all the ingredients would be listed there.

I would think 2.5 carbonation drops would be about right for a 1 litre bottle. I like to experiment so I would try some with 2, some with 2.5 and some with 3. If you use the sugar the two scoops with the 500ml scoop would be ideal. Again, there is scope to experiment.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, YeastieBabe said:

Alrighty, thanks for all the tips. I placed my brew in the fan range of our gas heating and the temp retained 20-24. I took a reading tonight with the hydrometer and it’s sitting at 1.010

Nice bubbles rising around the gauge so if it’s the same reading tomorrow I’m gonna bottle.

Warning - more questions…..

Can I sterilise the bottles a day or two before bottling or best on the day?

Next brew I’m doing is a coopers lager (this one is Cooper’s draught) so what adjunct do I add? BE?

I have some of those carbonation drops but only 60 drops and I have 1 litre bottles. Do I use 2 or 3 drops per bottle?

If I run out (which I think I will) how much sugar cos I have a tri-measure for 0.33 0.5 and 0.75 so would I do 1 x 0.33 and 1 x 0.75 of sugar per bottle? Or can I get away with just 0.75

Thank you

Souds good Yeastie, if your bottles are clean, that's good but it doesn't take much to sanities for absolute piece of mind, the way I see it why risk not doing it.

You should try just plain white sugar, it's cheaper & in my opinion it gives better results. I would use 2 x teaspoons in a litre bottle, an AUS standard teaspoon is 4.1gms so 2 would be spot on.

Considering that I use one sugar scoop or 1 tsp for a 500ml bottle that will work.

• Like 5

Hey @YeastieBabe,

I would go 3 drops per litre bottle, or two of the 0.5 litre scoops if using table sugar as Kegory says.

I wash my bottles straight away after finishing the beer, so I just give them a rinse with hot water on bottling day just to get rid of any dust etc and then a spray with some no rinse sanitizer. If you sterilize your bottles a day or two beforehand I think that would be fine as long as you capped them so no nasties can get in.

Check out the recipe section for what to add to the lager can. If you just want a simple brew you can’t go wrong with BE2 imo. If you want more alcohol, I’d go with BE2 and 500g dry malt.

• Like 6

Wahoo I’ve bottled my brew and used 3 drops per 1 litre bottle. I had about 4 bottles where I used x2 0.5 sugar per bottle.

I’ve put them all straight in the cellar? No tipping or rocking each bottle before storing?

How long do I leave them to brew?

I’ve rinsed all my gear out and know to rinse the bottles and caps as I go after I consume the beer.

Appreciate the wisdom and advice in this community.

Cheers

Yeasite

• Like 5

What's the temperature in your cellar? The recommended temperature for carbonation is about 18 degrees C. 

With the carbonation drops I don't think there's any need to tip or rock them. When I'm using a powdered sugar I give them a bit of a tip to catch anything that's stuck in the neck. It probably doesn't make much difference but I do it anyway.

2 weeks at 18 degrees is recommended. If they are in PET bottles the carbonation will make the bottles feel harder. You can give them a squeeze test to confirm they are done. I give them as squeeze after bottling so I can kind of judge how squishy they are before carbonation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YeastieBabe said:

Wahoo I’ve bottled my brew and used 3 drops per 1 litre bottle. I had about 4 bottles where I used x2 0.5 sugar per bottle.

I’ve put them all straight in the cellar? No tipping or rocking each bottle before storing?

How long do I leave them to brew?

I’ve rinsed all my gear out and know to rinse the bottles and caps as I go after I consume the beer.

Appreciate the wisdom and advice in this community.

Cheers

Yeasite

Hey Yeastie,

I bet you can't wait 2 weeks to try one. 🤣

• Haha 3