Coopers Community

Level for bottling gauge

YeastieBabe

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just on the tipping of bottles to mix the sugar, apparently can oxidise the beer. Gash on HomeBrew Network did an experiment.

The bottle he didnt tip to mix tasted a lot better from memory.

That's interesting. I haven't noticed any oxidization, it would have to out compete the chloramine. Sounds like another great exbeeriment to try, though.

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

That's interesting. I haven't noticed any oxidization, it would have to out compete the chloramine. Sounds like another great exbeeriment to try, though.

Apparently the head space left in the bottle is oxygen after capping. Tipping the beer around mixes it in. Best left alone until the yeast and bottle sugar convert to C02.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Apparently the head space left in the bottle is oxygen after capping. Tipping the beer around mixes it in. Best left alone until the yeast and bottle sugar convert to C02.

Yes, that makes sense. Still worth an exbeeriment, though.

Last batch I bottled some with table sugar and some with dextrose. The previous three or four had just been with dextrose. I found the table sugar much easier to use and less likely to cling to the neck of the bottle. I guess that's why most people prefer table sugar over dextrose, or at least one of the reasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Last batch I bottled some with table sugar and some with dextrose. The previous three or four had just been with dextrose. I found the table sugar much easier to use and less likely to cling to the neck of the bottle. I guess that's why most people prefer table sugar over dextrose, or at least one of the reasons.

Your next bottled batch, leave five or so aside without mixing the bottling sugars ( whatever you use ) .........see if there's any difference in taste.

I can guarantee the ones you dont shake will carb up. Yeast will always find its friend.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kegory said:

When brewers keg beer, we burp the keg with C02 to eliminate oxygen. You cant do that with bottles.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Your next bottled batch, leave five or so aside without mixing the bottling sugars ( whatever you use ) .........see if there's any difference in taste.

I can guarantee the ones you dont shake will carb up. Yeast will always find its friend.

Yeah, I'm planning to (not shake, though, that's a bit extreme). I was already going to do a carb drop vs table sugar vs dextrose exbeeriment so I'll do some of the dex bottles without a tip and some with. The more the merrier.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

When brewers keg beer, we burp the keg with C02 to eliminate oxygen. You cant do that with bottles.

True. I haven't worried about oxidization too much yet, though, as I haven't been using much hops and as I understand it the more hops are in the beer the more they are prone to oxidization.

Anyway, now that I've dealt with the chloramine issue it should be easier to discern any other unwelcome flavours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Yeah, I'm planning to (not shake, though, that's a bit extreme). I was already going to do a carb drop vs table sugar vs dextrose exbeeriment so I'll do some of the dex bottles without a tip and some with. The more the merrier.

You should never shake the bottles. @Pale Man is right. I have been using plain white sugar for years, better than messing about with all that other stuff (& cheaper)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You should never shake the bottles. @Pale Man is right. I have been using plain white sugar for years, better than messing about with all that other stuff (& cheaper)

Plain white sugar always when bottling. Dont stuff around with other shite. All its doing is gassing and conditioning your bottled beer, nothing more nothing less.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have never shaken a bottle and I have no intention of shaking a bottle.

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Me neither. Some blokes do, they seem to pick up a lot of misleading information from other brewers & the internet.

Well, except for sauce bottles but that's another matter entirely.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

With pet bottles I always squeeze the bottle till the liquid is at the very top and while holding it there put the cap on

The bottle has an indent where you squeezed but comes out under carbonation

When I was using them, I never did that & never had a problem apart from the odd bottle that didn't carb up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just on the tipping of bottles to mix the sugar, apparently can oxidise the beer. Gash on HomeBrew Network did an experiment.

The bottle he didnt tip to mix tasted a lot better from memory.

Edited by DavidM
covered

3 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I had the missus help me with bottling a couple of times. When doing it she filled them almost right to the top, leaving hardly any head room. Those bottles with screw caps are almost impossible to open. What is it that causes that to happen?

I haven't opened any of my PET bottles yet so I've got no idea.

How do you fill the bottles? I fill mine to the top with the bottling wand and when I remove the bottle it leaves a standard headspace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

I haven't opened any of my PET bottles yet so I've got no idea.

How do you fill the bottles? I fill mine to the top with the bottling wand and when I remove the bottle it leaves a standard headspace.

It's some glass bottles I use. I fill them the same way you describe, but when she did it she filled them, then let it drip in until they were almost filled to the top 😅

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

It's some glass bottles I use. I fill them the same way you describe, but when she did it she filled them, then let it drip in until they were almost filled to the top 😅

It is best to leave about 3cm from the top but here is some more information.

https://beercreation.com/headspace-for-bottling-beer/

• Like 1