Coopers Community

** New Coopers Product Release **

Beerlust

I am led to believe that the first batches of the beer are already packaged & in the Coopers warehouse ready for distribution. All I was able to find out was that one' date=' yes one of the new beers (according to him) will have a reference to "Artisan" in it's title.[/quote']

I'm keen to find out what it is and try one, even though the use of the term 'artisan' means it will cost twice as much as their other beer.

I am led to believe that the first batches of the beer are already packaged & in the Coopers warehouse ready for distribution. All I was able to find out was that one' date=' yes one of the new beers (according to him) will have a reference to "Artisan" in it's title.[/quote']

I'm keen to find out what it is and try one, even though the use of the term 'artisan' means it will cost twice as much as their other beer.

I'm sure PB2 won't be long with the analogue homebrew recipe! Hint hint!

I just can't help but feel this was a missed opportunity for Coopers to put a renewed stamp on the Aussie craft beer industry.

This beer smacks of a product a of non beer type marketing BS committee to me. They chose the one beer that is rapidly going down hill in the Aussie beer market.

Stick to your strengths Coopers- make some more bloody good ales!!

Nice find on the article Soundawake.

I must admit I was a little surprised that a Pilsner was chosen, but I do like the way Coopers look to have gone about flavouring this one (at least on paper) vs say the 62 Pilsner that is meant to be a very traditional styled pilsner.

"A specially selected Tuborg strain of lager yeast has been used to carry out the fermentation....freshly cut citrus, lime and orange peel". That sounds quite appealing to me. cool

Maybe Saaz, Motueka/Simcoe & Cascade? unsure

Mid last year, I brewed the TC Pilsner kit with the W34/70 yeast & some added late additions of Nelson Sauvin, & it turned out to be a really nice beer. If Coopers has approached this commercial version in much the same way (as I suspect they have), then in terms of flavour, I reckon they've got a winner with this beer.

In the commercial brewing market, it's not an easy thing to please everyone in one style of beer, especially drinkers at opposite ends of the flavour spectrum like us full flavoured ale lovers, & the water-like megaswill drinkers at the volumes we are talking about here. You do have to tread very carefully. It's not like us where we brew up 23 litres & hand a few around to our mates for opinions. I'm sure a lot of research was conducted before even a drop of this brew entered a beer bottle at the Coopers brewery. From the early descriptions, it looks like Coopers are having a fair dinkum crack at trying to please both crowds with this beer.

One big hurdle Coopers will have to overcome though (from a marketing standpoint), is the "Pilsner" name. Unfortunately to this point, it is not a style or word referring to beer, that has ever really taken off with the greater drinking public in this country. Such is the stigma with this term, there are a number of popular mainstream beers that are actually pilsners, but are called "lager" as part of their branding.

It does beg the question, will the 62 Pilsner be phased out?

I for one, wish them luck, & I personally can't wait to try the beer for myself.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Muddy. smile

I really wish Coopers would make a nice hoppy American Pale Ale or AIPA crying

In my neck of the woods the only Coopers product on tap is the Pale Ale and that stuff is horrible sick

My gut feeling is that a commercial IPA produced by Coopers will happen' date=' I'm just not sure about how far away that may be. I'll go as far to say that I think it is [u']inevitable[/u]. A number of the pre-cursors are already there. The fact that they are producing hopped LME in this style is one, & that there is a gap in this area of the Australian commercial beer market in terms of representation of the style by the "Big 3" (in this country), suggests this to me.

The Malt Shovel brewery IPA, owned by Lion Nathan (one of the Big 3) just never hit the marks it needed to. It did/does present just too bitter, without enough sweeter malt influence to grab people to buy it again. For the true style it is aimed at, I didn't think it was a bad beer, & rated it equally alongside the Coopers Sparkling Ale as the best bang for your buck six pack going around! Haha! lol

Introducing the IPA style as a limited seasonal brew in much the same way the Vintage Ale is produced & marketed each year, would be the best route to take with it. The Celebration Ale was introduced in much the same way, & unexpectedly (from even those inside Coopers) it's flavour & style was appreciated & accepted as something that they now brew all year round. unsure

Like you Muddy, I can't wait for Coopers to release an IPA, because I just KNOW it will be great!

I do have a different view to you on the CPA though. I personally really like the stuff, & from a home brewing perspective, as a base, I do appreciate what it allows in terms of building flavours & styles.

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Such is the stigma with this term' date=' there are a number of popular mainstream beers that are actually pilsners, but are called "lager" as part of their branding.

It does beg the question, will the 62 Pilsner be phased out?

What mainstream beers fit into this category?

Also, why not just change the name of the 62? Even just drop Pilsner and call it 62. JS get away with pithy names for their beers.

Currently drinking.

I don't know about this one. There's nothing that I DON'T really like, but nothing's blowing my hair back either. Very so so. Tomorrow my friends and I are going to do a blind tasting/scoring of Coopers Lager, 62 Pilsner and this beer, so that will be interesting.

EFACE1ED-79D3-4AD7-8D3E-858525C7FB59_zpscx2wtvsd.jpg

Another rumour I heard on the grapevine... A Coopers cider is in the works.

I tried the Celebration Ale recently. Very nice dropped, but under hopped for the home brewer's palate I feel.

We need to remember that Coopers need to appeal to the mass market, not just us.

Interested to try this when I see it.

I tried the Celebration Ale recently. Very nice dropped' date=' but under hopped for the home brewer's palate I feel.

We need to remember that Coopers need to appeal to the mass market, not just us.

Interested to try this when I see it.[/quote']

nvso.png

I do have a different view to you on the CPA though. I personally really like the stuff' date=' & from a home brewing perspective, as a base, I do appreciate what it allows in terms of building flavours & styles.[/quote']

I agree it is ok as a base for home brewing as you can turn it into a great beer but the commercial CPA can't be fixed with anything short of tipping it down the sink sick...IMO cool

Those who have read my posts may recall that my exposure to different styles of beer prior to venturing into home brew. I had only ever tried one ale, Fat Yak in Albury, and the usual European suspects. However I would always have a Moo Brew Pils off the tap when at the Taste or a pub that served it.

It has taken me a while to brew a Pils but I am impressed with the result. So if this Artisan Reserve is available down here I reckon I will grab a six pack.

Hi Muddy.

I agree it is ok as a base for home brewing as you can turn it into a great beer but the commercial CPA can't be fixed with anything short of tipping it down the sink sick...IMO cool

I accept certain views on certain styles of beer. We are all different about the flavours we enjoy in a beer.

On a commercial "megaswill" level' date=' what would you be happy to drink in preference to a CPA Muddy? [img']unsure[/img]

Btw, if we ever meet Muddy, don't expect a handful of bananas as an ice-breaker offering! Hehe! tongue

P.S. I know I thanked you privately for emailing IanH's spreadsheet to me. I can't remember if I ever thanked you openly on this forum. unsure Thank you, it's been a massive help to my improvement as a brewer. smile

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived