Coopers Community

PET caps.

jackgym

Is it necessary to remove the tamper proof ring from the neck of the PET bottle before using the caps a second time?

Some brewers say the ring stops the cap from tightening down properly again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackgym said:

Is it necessary to remove the tamper proof ring from the neck of the PET bottle before using the caps a second time?

After reading about them I removed the rings before I used them the first time

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackgym said:

I never took the rings off and reused all my PET bottles many times over with no problems sealing. Why should it stop the caps from sealing? When new, the ring is attached to the cap and it all works fine. After the bottle is opened, the ring drop a little, like half a millimetre or so, so how would it stop the bottle from sealing? 

• Like 1

Oh dear; I am going to go have a bet both ways! Yesterday I filled 30 PET bottles.  I had a mixture of: brand new - lids with rings still attached; used - ring still attached to the bottle; and used - ring removed. I felt that I got a tighter seal with the used bottles with rings still on the bottles. This may be just my impression. However, over 22 brews, with a mixture of lids and rings as described above, I have never had a flat/uncarbonated bottle. 🤔

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I never took the rings off and reused all my PET bottles many times over with no problems sealing. Why should it stop the caps from sealing? When new, the ring is attached to the cap and it all works fine. After the bottle is opened, the ring drop a little, like half a millimetre or so, so how would it stop the bottle from sealing? 

You are correct. If after tightening you can move the ring it is not interfering with the cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Oh dear; I am going to go have a bet both ways! Yesterday I filled 30 PET bottles.  I had a mixture of: brand new - lids with rings still attached; used - ring still attached to the bottle; and used - ring removed. I felt that I got a tighter seal with the used bottles with rings still on the bottles. This may be just my impression. However, over 22 brews, with a mixture of lids and rings as described above, I have never had a flat/uncarbonated bottle. 🤔

Yes, I agree it is not entirely essential, but when I was bottling, I eventually added different brands from other manufacturers - Mangrove Jacks, Morgans etc. & apart from some being 750ml instead of 740ml they were slightly different shape & colour, & also thinner at the top. Over the years I had the odd one that didn't seal properly so I ended up removing all of the tops.

I won't ever be using them again so now I guess it doesn't matter.

• Like 3