Coopers Community

Feedback on RedIPA recipe

Hey team,

Im looking at brewing a Red IPA style beer. I’m wondering about the colour. Ideally I’d like it to be a ruby red and didn’t want it to end up too dark. 
The recipe I’ve based this beer off called for 150g of black malt. I’ve backed it off a bit and end up with an EBC of 37. I know the EBC won’t tell me if it ends up red or brown, but my concern is that it will end up more like a dark ale or porter if I put in 150g.

Any feedback from those in the know would be great.

IMG_0081.thumb.jpeg.1aec5a52d9143eaf07871abbeac0dc9e.jpeg

Cheers

46 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Ideally I’d like it to be a ruby red and didn’t want it to end up too dark. 
The recipe I’ve based this beer off called for 150g of black malt. I’ve backed it off a bit and end up with an EBC of 37. 

@Tone boy IMO do not use 150 g of black malt otherwise you will spoil your desired outcome.  I only used 90 g of black malt (WEY) average EBC of 1666 in my Darth Vader Beer and it came in at EBC = 44 so it hit the target that I was after for a porter (Tooheys Old Clone).  I would re-think your recipe and have a look at the red-X specialty malts (or similar) to get your desired RED colour.  I have been investigating these red malts for my Irish Red Ale recipe which I am currently working on and keen to give them a try.

150 g of black malt may put you too far into a porter or stout territory rather than a nice red.  Just me thinking our aloud here.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Im looking at brewing a Red IPA style beer. I’m wondering about the colour. Ideally I’d like it to be a ruby red and didn’t want it to end up too dark. 
The recipe I’ve based this beer off called for 150g of black malt. I’ve backed it off a bit and end up with an EBC of 37.

Hi Tone

Links to my two Modus Operandi Former Tenant Red IPA are here and here.  They both have about 3% Dark Crystal Malt and 1% Chocolate Malt.  You can get an idea of how they turned out from the What Are You Drinking photos.  Both were around 32 IBU.

150g of Black Malt sounds a bit much.  100g might be okay.  I subbed out the Dark Crystal Malt and Chocolate Malt from my recipe and subbed in 100g of Black Malt (1100 EBC) and got 32 EBC.

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts @iBooz2 Boozer. Much appreciated.

That was my gut feel as well, that 150g was going to be too much. From memory @Otto Von Blotto OVB uses about 70g of black malt in his red ale so was leaning towards reducing it.  Dropping it to 100g gets me an EBC of 37 (on the software anyway - which may not be actual). My roast barley has an EBC OF 1400 apparently. Not sure if 37 is in the right colour range…

I can’t try the Red-X this time around, as I have already bought the ingredients as per the recipe. The Caramunich 1 and the Melanoidin are in the same bag. Apparently Melanoidin gives a nice red colour - we’ll see… I guess my only real adjustment at this stage is the amount of roast barley I use.

Here is the original recipe from CP.  As you can see I’ve adjusted it to suit a partial mash, which suits me. I’ve used the hops I have available so that I can use up some stuff.

The recipe doesn’t give an EBC value though.

AmericanRedIPA.thumb.png.d916173bbc45b81287c07d94e7830c22.png
Anyway, thanks again! Whatever I make, I’ll try to remember to take a photo 

cheers TB

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Tone

Links to my two Modus Operandi Former Tenant Red IPA are here and here.  They both have about 3% Dark Crystal Malt and 1% Chocolate Malt.  You can get an idea of how they turned out from the What Are You Drinking photos.  Both were around 32 IBU.

150g of Black Malt sounds a bit much.  100g might be okay.  I subbed out the Dark Crystal Malt and Chocolate Malt from my recipe and subbed in 100g of Black Malt (1100 EBC) and got 32 EBC.

Thanks heaps SOS.

That’s really helpful looking at your ingredients and your photo - especially the 22.5 litre batch, which is close to my volume. That gives me an idea what an EBC of 31.5 looks like - which is about the colour I’m aiming for. So perhaps 37 is too high…

I just played around on brewfather and by dropping the roast barley to 70g, it gives me an EBC of 32 👍

I understand with my ingredients it may be more brownish red, or just brown, but hopefully not a stout colour.

Cheers and thanks again.

10 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey team,

The recipe I’ve based this beer off called for 150g of black malt. I’ve backed it off a bit and end up with an EBC of 37. I know the EBC won’t tell me if it ends up red or brown, but my concern is that it will end up more like a dark ale or porter if I put in 150g.

Any feedback from those in the know would be great.

IMG_0081.thumb.jpeg.1aec5a52d9143eaf07871abbeac0dc9e.jpeg

Cheers

This is a grain bill I used for my red it was really good. I have attached photos to give you an idea of the colour at 28ebc and in different vessels. I hope it works out for you it would be one of my favourite beers!

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1218.jpeg

IMG_1217.jpeg

IMG_1285.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 9

Awesome thanks @RDT2!
Great colour! It looks like I could easily convert that grain bill to a partial mash affair if mine doesn’t work out.

The liquid Munich is 50% base malt and 50% Munich so that first bit is easy. Then I could just mash some carared and caraaroma…

Going off yours and Shamus’s photos, it looks like I should aim for somewhere between 28 and 32 EBC and choose a malt which will throw some red.

Thanks everyone for the replies, it’s been really helpful 👍

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, RDT2 said:

This is a grain bill I used for my red it was really good. I have attached photos to give you an idea of the colour at 28ebc and in different vessels. I hope it works out for you it would be one of my favourite beers!

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1218.jpeg

IMG_1217.jpeg

IMG_1285.jpeg

That looks very tasty mate, Good job 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

That looks very tasty mate, Good job 👍

Thanks it just ran out🤣

But can’t wait to make it again with some hop changes and boost the ibu to see what I get???

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Thanks it just ran out🤣

But can’t wait to make it again with some hop changes and boost the ibu to see what I get???

They always run out when they just start tasting the best too haha.

What hops did you use?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

They always run out when they just start tasting the best too haha.

What hops did you use?

The first one I used super pride for bittering and Simcoe late and the second one will be warrior for bittering then citra, Idaho 7 and eclipse late!

• Like 2