Coopers Community

Can I brew without using the "Brew Enhancer"?

Hello Guys, nice to meet you. 
I have bought the Lager Coopers Malt Extratc, but I dont have the kit, just the extract. I have my own kit, and thats fine, the only thing I dont have is the "Brew Enhancer".
I want to know if I really need the Brew Enhancer (I have seen it in a lot of recipes). I live in Argentina and I could only get the Lager malt extract.

Thanks in advance!

malt extract.png

• Like 1

you will need to add sugars of some sort for the yeast to convert into alcohol. the brew enhancers are various combinations of dextrose, maltodextrin and light dry malt.

dextrose is glucose if that helps you source ingredients.

• Like 2

You can use the can on its own if you like, but it will produce a very light beer around 2.8%. You can use any kind of sugar you want, cane sugar will make a drier beer with less flavour and 1kg will give you around 4.5%. If you use brown sugar or raw sugar it will leave behind a molasses type taste. Just try 1kg of cane sugar if that's all you have. The brew enhancers just add extra body and flavour.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stickers said:

you will need to add sugars of some sort for the yeast to convert into alcohol. the brew enhancers are various combinations of dextrose, maltodextrin and light dry malt.

dextrose is glucose if that helps you source ingredients.

You could try a Supermarket type shop for something like this, it is just Extract of Malted Barley, 1kg in a 23 l batch would work.

Saunders Malt Extract | 1kg

• Like 4

There is another option.

Only use the can of extract and brew about 18 litres, instead of 23 litres. Concentrating it like this will give you a better beer than just adding sugar and increase the amount of alcohol to perhaps about 3.5% ABV.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

There is another option.

Only use the can of extract and brew about 18 litres, instead of 23 litres. Concentrating it like this will give you a better beer than just adding sugar and increase the amount of alcohol to perhaps about 3.5% ABV.

I might actually try this

• Like 2

Never done it myself. But it just makes sense.  The norm is to add LDME. But he has few choices. It should produce a better beer.  Do you make it 15 litres, 18 litres? I can't say but has to be better than just adding sugar.

@Cheap CharlieIf you you do try it I would certainly be interested in what you think of the result.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I might actually try this

Just keep in mind it will be more bitter due to the lower volume how noticeable I don’t know never done it and would depend on your taste!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You could try a Supermarket type shop for something like this, it is just Extract of Malted Barley, 1kg in a 23 l batch would work.

Saunders Malt Extract | 1kg

+1 to this strategy.  @NachoBass I would scout out your local food store / supermarket / whatever and look for / ask for similar product as @Classic Brewing Co has mentioned above.

Don't buy any just yet, take a pic of front and back of the can / packet in the store and then post them here so we can read the label contents and then advise you further.  Do this because some dried malt products contain dried milk products or other additives that can have a negative impact on your beer.  If you find a good, dried malt product on your shop shelf where you are then that will be way to go, better to use malt than to use just sugar.  Also, another TIP: do not ferment it out at the temperature indicated on the lager can.  The yeast that comes with that lager can is actually an ALE yeast so it is best fermented at 18 - 20 degrees C. 

The lager can, add some dry malt powder and then also a small amount of white sugar will make you a very reasonable beer if done at the right ferment temps.

We are telling you this because we want you to come back and brew some more beers that you are happy with and get better at doing it in the future.  We are all here for you and your brewing and drinking experience.  - Cheers.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 3:33 AM, NachoBass said:

Thank you so much!

One last question: Can I use any kind of sugar?

I'd go for caster sugar if that's all you can get, at least dissolves easily...

... but don't expect anything very appealing tasting to come out of it. But it will give you alcoholic, and hopefully, drinkable beer.

I'm pretty new to this whole thing and are currently experimenting to find that sweet spot between cheap and semi-tasty beer. I actually just drank a bottle of recently brewed Coopers lager, but with mine I added 500gm of light malt extract, about 400gms of caster sugar, and a whole bunch of fresh hops that I was lucky to be given. It's not a super complex flavour, but showcases the hops well. It's actually reminding me of the commercially available Coopers Sparkling Ale, but with more hops.

• Like 1