Coopers Community

100% Wheat Beer.

Any of you all grainers ever made a wheat beer, with 100% wheat grain? 

If so how did it taste, any tips or hints?

Obviously the recirc and sparge will be a challenge but I plan to only brew 10 litres with rice hulls.

Two reasons for doing it. Curiosity and I want to get rid of some wheat I have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Obviously the recirc and sparge will be a challenge but I plan to only brew 10 litres with rice hulls.

Good enough reason Mr. Pale, I like wheat beer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Pretty sure that if you used 100% wheat you would have  problems with stuck mash/sparge etc as it would be a very sticky mash even with rice hulls. Apparently malted wheat has plenty of the enzymes for converting the starch but as the protein is so high 100% would be a problem.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

it wont convert the sugar to alcohols you need barley to convert the wheat look it up 

rooky mistake  but it is what it is been there ahhahaha done that

so it's not that he could not do it at all? ancient civilisations brewed straight wheat he would just not get as much alcohol.  or were those the brews that they stuffed up?  ahhhhaaa look it up. guess we could look anything up couldn't we? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

it wont convert the sugar to alcohols you need barley to convert the wheat look it up 

rooky mistake  but it is what it is been there ahhahaha done that

Actually malted wheat has plenty of enzymes for the conversion process, I think that it has a higher diastatic power than malted barley, so it would be fine in a mash to convert starches to sugar.

Agree with you that it will not convert sugar to alcohol, that is the job of the yeast.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

Thats what fermentation is for. Its been done before, pretty sure it can be done, I looked it up.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Pretty sure that if you used 100% wheat you would have  problems with stuck mash/sparge etc as it would be a very sticky mash even with rice hulls. Apparently malted wheat has plenty of the enzymes for converting the starch but as the protein is so high 100% would be a problem.

Yeah I thought the sparge would be a hassle but Im willing to give it a crack.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pale Man said:

PM why do you need to get rid of your wheat malt, got too much or is it getting stale?  I bought a bag years ago and it's been stored in an air-tight drum and probably a year past its BBD and have about 10 kg still left.

I had thoughts like you to do some wheat beers to use it before its BBD but I think I got better value from the bulk purchase by throwing 250 g into most recipes.  Very handy to have some wheat or Carapils at hand on brew day.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

PM why do you need to get rid of your wheat malt, got too much or is it getting stale?  I bought a bag years ago and it's been stored in an air-tight drum and probably a year past its BBD and have about 10 kg still left.

I had thoughts like you to do some wheat beers to use it before its BBD but I think I got better value from the bulk purchase by throwing 250 g into most recipes.  Very handy to have some wheat or Carapils at hand on brew day.

Yeah Ive got a fair bit. I guess the main reason is just out of curiosity.

• Like 1