Coopers Community

Drills for Mills

Tricky Micky

That should work. Worst case, you may have to run it at lower RPM because you don't want the mill get to hot and burn the grain but I see no dramas.

I'm using a $59 cordless 20V drill from Aldi and it does the trick just fine. It has enough torque for the job and does't struggle at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

That should work. Worst case, you may have to run it at lower RPM because you don't want the mill get to hot and burn the grain but I see no dramas.

I'm using a $59 cordless 20V drill from Aldi and it does the trick just fine. It has enough torque for the job and does't struggle at all. 

Thanks AK, great stuff mate - cheers for the heads up.

7 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Mickep , you will need a drill with a 13 mm chuck.  A 10 mm one is close but not close enough so no cigar.   Most mills have 11.5 - 12 mm crankshaft diameter.

Dang! Just when I thought I'd struck gold in them thar hills. Cheers Al, thank you.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mickep said:

Dang! Just when I thought I'd struck gold in them thar hills. Cheers Al, thank you.

all is not lost   @Mickep    go to bunnings  in the tool section  and look for the appropriate   chuck adaptor to suit the size  

something like this

Ultra 13mm Keyless Drill Chuck

or 

Chuck Key Dynalink 13mm W/sds Plus Adaptor Fittng

the  top pic is $25

bottom one is  $15  

they will  most likely have others    and mitre 10 or any hardware store will have them to suit

so not all lost with  the drill  ya found in them thar hills  

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

imo mate most drills will accommodate 10mm, set the speed on low if you can and you should be ok. My garbage chinese copy mill works ok, so you should be fine, it's not as if you will burn the motor out. If you are concerned then half fill the hopper and do a few batches - even mill the grain twice with a bigger gap if you have to. There is always second hand shops, gumtree and marketplace if you need a new drill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

So to begin with is the 2 roller mill from KL okay? It'd allow me to use the newly found drill from the garage. 😁

https://www.kegland.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill.html

Yep @Mickep that one has a 10 mm crankshaft.  If you prefer the 3 roller mill I can machine a couple of mm off the 12 mill shaft on that one so it fits in your 10 mm drill chuck.  Would only need to do 20 - 25 mm of the shaft and I have the gear to do it.

You would end up with a 10 mm shaft that steps up to 12 mm, up to you.  My mill is the 3 roller job.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

If you prefer the 3 roller mill I can machine a couple of mm off the 12 mill shaft on that one so it fits in your 10 mm drill chuck.  Would only need to do 20 - 25 mm of the shaft and I have the gear to do it.

Mate, way too kind - my preference would be the cheaper 2 roller mill. Would that suffice for the time being?

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i'm not an expert mate i just no you can get chuck adaptors to suit

Come to think of it Oz, I think Gash has a video on this topic where he shows how to convert the 10 mm to the 13mm using an adaptor.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Come to think of it Oz, I think Gash has a video on this topic where he shows how to convert the 10 mm to the 13mm using an adaptor.

he does and he used an ozito  drill for many years as well as i do mate

Gash has gone the  kegland electric mill now 

• Like 3

I have a 3 roller Keg King mill and it has a 12mm shaft but it has flats machined into the end to provide a hex and they measure 10mm across the flats I my el cheapo Ozito 10mm drill fits it without a problem. In fact from looking around at different mills they all seem to be able to connect to a 10mm chuck. Even the Rolls Royce Millmaster says in its specs that it has a 12mm drive shaft with a 10mm hex machined end on the shaft that will fit a 10mm chuck.

@Mickep I looked at the KL mills and the 2 roller mill has a 10mm shaft so your drill would fit that if that is the mill that you had in mind. The KL 3 roller mill states that it has a 12mm shaft though, but then again so does my 3 roller Keg King mill and I can fit a 10mm chucked drill to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1