Coopers Community

Ultra low/ no alcohol beer recommendations?

loafing_about

Its been a while since I visited courtesy of getting long covid. It’s put all brewing on hold too as I can’t manage the exertion of lifting bottling etc. I’ve basically stopped drinking but miss the taste and sensation of the driving itself, not getting drunk but just opening a bottle before dinner. 

So chasing any recommendations for good no alcohol or less than 1% beers. Is there even such a thing?

For reference my normal brews were IPAs, hazys and brown and amber ales. 
So far haven’t ventured far, but the hardly normal, tinnies (liquor land brand) won’t be bought again. Nort brewing have some ok options but any other thoughts. And yes, I know it is almost criminal to ask in such a respectable forum!

9 hours ago, loafing_about said:

Its been a while since I visited courtesy of getting long covid. It’s put all brewing on hold too as I can’t manage the exertion of lifting bottling etc. I’ve basically stopped drinking but miss the taste and sensation of the driving itself, not getting drunk but just opening a bottle before dinner. 

So chasing any recommendations for good no alcohol or less than 1% beers. Is there even such a thing?

For reference my normal brews were IPAs, hazys and brown and amber ales. 
So far haven’t ventured far, but the hardly normal, tinnies (liquor land brand) won’t be bought again. Nort brewing have some ok options but any other thoughts. And yes, I know it is almost criminal to ask in such a respectable forum!

Howdy @loafing_about I trust you are on the mend, attached some links for AG & Extract as you haven't stated either. I have never made any low alcohol beers, so I hope this helps.

All the best cheers.

https://www.brewinsight.com/low-alcohol-ipa-homebrewers-full-guide-and-recipe/

https://ultralowbrewing.com/our-guides/#:~:text=Guides to Alcohol Free and UltraLow Brewing. 1,grain required. ... 3 5.0 Boil Off%2FDe-alcoholising

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=extract+brewing+low+alchohol+beer+recipes&qpvt=extract+brewing+low+alchohol+beer+recipes&FORM=VDRE

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

Hey @loafing_about,

Best wishes, mate. Sounds pretty lousy.

Ask away anytime. 

In addition to the ones you've tried, One Drop is ok too. Similar to Heaps Normal so may not be what you are after. 

There are some mixed packs available here. You might find something you like in amongst those. Variety if nothing else. They have a pretty big range of low alc.

Edited by Popo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've tried a few options myself, and I've found that some of the non-alcoholic IPAs and hazys can actually be quite tasty. Breweries like Athletic Brewing Co. and WellBeing Brewing Co. have some good selections worth exploring. It's all about finding what works best for your taste buds. Also, if you're ever in need of support on your journey, I recently found a detox center that offers addiction treatment programs. It might be worth considering for anyone looking to make positive changes in their relationship with alcohol.

Edited by RyleighBarker

On 3/6/2024 at 11:04 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

The only non-alc beers I drink are generally wheat based. Bavaria Wit and Baltika 0 Unfiltered Wheat are good. Baltika 0 Refreshing Grapefruit is also nice.

I've had a fair few non-alcoholic beers lately. I like the Coopers Ultra Light, I like Asahi 0.0 as well. They're the ones I drink the most of.

The problem is that the missing alcohol creates a "hole" in the taste profile. Many breweries try to cover that part by using oats in their beer. I'm sure half of the low to no ABV beers out there are hazy pales in one shape or another. Not being the world's biggest fan of those "over oated" beers, it makes things a little difficult. Having said that, I do like the Heaps Normal Hald Day Hazy. The other day, I tried a Pepperberry IPA from Sobah. They use Pepperberries to infuse a nice, funnily enough peppery flavour which works well to distract from the lack of alcohol taste. Not a bad brew. 

And of course, things like Erdinger Alkoholfrei HW are always welcome 🙂