Coopers Community

Lawns

Hilltop hops

25 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Lawn starting to bounce back after winter. Fertilised and top dressed a few areas today. Its Kings Pride Buffallo. I know a few members @Otto Von Blottoenjoy their turf. Show us your turf! 

Looks good HH I don't have a front lawn just trees & shrubs etc apart from the strip near the footpath/road, but I am not big on lawn anyway, I would rather tiles & landscaping.

If you have one all good, are the kid's allowed to walk on it? 🤭

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good HH I don't have a front lawn just trees & shrubs etc apart from the strip near the footpath/road, but I am not big on lawn anyway, I would rather tiles & landscaping.

If you have one all good, are the kid's allowed to walk on it? 🤭

Kids yes, dog no! 

• Haha 2

I literally just cut mine down today after not doing much at all with it the last couple of months or so because of the stupid rain. I am gonna throw some fertiliser on it this arvo and give it a drink, and try to keep the mowing regular 😂

Oh and the dog is allowed on it, but not allowed to pee on it. I've trained her to go up the steps to the top section where it doesn't matter 😅

20221029_135619.thumb.jpg.6e3a86b16e6c74bd2f4ad383b05b76ac.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 8

Not remotely relevant in terms of geography, but I had half of my lawn turfed, then we got a hosepipe ban over summer 😳

Looking a bit better now, and I’m scarifying it later on this weekend 

B55CA6DB-FEBA-4736-BFD4-3416B544A792.jpeg

E5707F40-37DC-424F-B0C9-73C0847ACACB.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I can't be arsed scarifying mine now, but I'm gonna try to put away some money so I can get one of those Ryobi scarifiers for next year 

I had the original section scarified earlier this year cause it got so thick I couldn't mow it. 

20220218_111411.jpg

• Like 4

I  certainly enjoyed my time working on the golf course. I'd go back to it if it paid better.

I'm planning to replace the crappy turf in the front yard next year, but I might use a trick I learnt way back then, and use the scarifyings from the back lawn to form a new lawn at the front. Certainly be cheaper than buying turf. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Was watching a greenkeeper in action the other day from site. Must feel good to maintain a sports field. I use to be a landscaper but nothing to do with turf maintenance, big job looking after these facilities. 

20221029_214736.jpg

I'm trying to identify the oval. Alberton perhaps?
I'm not posting a photo of my lawn. Since we got the new dog my back yard looks like an open cut mine. I'm not too worried about it though. He's young and needs to play and we haven't had much nice weather to be able to go out back much ourselves anyway. As long as the rain holds off today I'll try to spend a few hours out there tidying up a bit. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I  certainly enjoyed my time working on the golf course. I'd go back to it if it paid better.

I'm planning to replace the crappy turf in the front yard next year, but I might use a trick I learnt way back then, and use the scarifyings from the back lawn to form a new lawn at the front. Certainly be cheaper than buying turf. 

I have a mate that is a Landscaper, he also installs Instant Lawn & recently informed me they quite often are left with off-cuts which could be used on my patchy, overshaded crappy lawn that I am trying to pave. I am done with lawns, mowers etc, I just want to go out the back & relax & maybe have a beer 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have a mate that is a Landscaper, he also installs Instant Lawn & recently informed me they quite often are left with off-cuts which could be used on my patchy, overshaded crappy lawn that I am trying to pave. I am done with lawns, mowers etc, I just want to go out the back & relax & maybe have a beer 🤭

Yeah they probably could be but it'd take a bit of time to get a full lawn out of it. The scarifyings often have bits of roots attached so spreading them all over soil and rolling them in they take and grow into a lawn. Back when I worked at the golf course I was tasked with doing this for the green on the practice range, the scarifyings came from some of the greens on course, probably took a couple of months for it to fully mesh itself into a proper lawn. Looks like it's still the same grass on it now, 15-16 years later. 

But I'll worry about that for my own place next spring I think 😂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah they probably could be but it'd take a bit of time to get a full lawn out of it. The scarifyings often have bits of roots attached so spreading them all over soil and rolling them in they take and grow into a lawn. Back when I worked at the golf course I was tasked with doing this for the green on the practice range, the scarifyings came from some of the greens on course, probably took a couple of months for it to fully mesh itself into a proper lawn. Looks like it's still the same grass on it now, 15-16 years later. 

But I'll worry about that for my own place next spring I think 😂

My backyard used to have a lawn but bits of it are still struggling as the section is surrounded by tall trees & mostly shade & I also have some shade cloth etc over the outside bar so there are only a few strips along the path to the shed & alongside the paving I am creating.

I hate lawn & don't want to be wasting my time mucking around with it, I like pavers & landscaping.

If I could score a few sections with the artificial turf that would be a bonus.

BTW - how did your brew turn out, in the keg?

• Like 2

Fair enough. I'm not much of a fan of paving everything but up here I find a lawn seems to make it feel a bit cooler, paving just does the opposite. 

I only brewed it on Saturday, give it a chance to be fermented first 😂 the brewing itself went fine though. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Fair enough. I'm not much of a fan of paving everything but up here I find a lawn seems to make it feel a bit cooler, paving just does the opposite. 

I only brewed it on Saturday, give it a chance to be fermented first 😂 the brewing itself went fine though. 

Yeah, I understand the fermenting time, I live by the sea, sure it gets hot, but the sea breeze & shade make it very comfortable as a 🍺 does.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I understand the fermenting time, I live by the sea, sure it gets hot, but the sea breeze & shade make it very comfortable as a 🍺 does.

Yeah I'm more inland although close to the river, usually there's a breeze in the summer arvos/evenings to help cool it down but I still prefer a lawn. The whole yard isn't lawn though, there is paving and stones along the edge of the house itself. Same at the front. Neither lawn is very big though so it doesn't take a lot of work. 

• Like 3

On 10/29/2022 at 7:12 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I can't be arsed scarifying mine now, but I'm gonna try to put away some money so I can get one of those Ryobi scarifiers for next year 

i would love one of these too, i upgraded my lawnmower this year from a third hand POS 4 stroke to a ryobi electric and magically, lawn maintenance became both easier and far more interesting.

my two issues with a scarifying kit are i live in a rental and it's too occasional use to justify the investment by someone that can't spool a whipper snipper head. but if i lived in my own place it would be a worthy addition to the shed. i looked at hiring one but the cost involved to pimp someone else's lawn was way too much for me. the grass here could really do with it though.

• Like 4

Yeah to be honest when I was renting I didn't take the old lawn maintenance all that seriously 😂 when I was at the olds I did, and have tried to get back into it a bit more since I've been in my own place too, too much crap weather this year has kinda stuffed that a bit because of golf. The course was closed a number of weekends because of rain so rather than sort the lawns out on a fine day I'd make up for lost golf instead. The rain also caused the weeds to get out of control because I couldn't spray them. 

I will probably borrow the olds electric mower again to chop down the excuse of a lawn on the footpath again because I'm still waiting for my snipper to be repaired. The seed heads and weeds in it are too long for the cylinder mower, and the rotary here doesn't start 🤦🏻‍♂️I'm also gonna attack it with DSMA to kill off all the paspalum rubbish and try to let the bits of blue couch in it flourish to turn it into a nice lawn. Of course, need good weather for that, and it always seems to like raining on weekends. Lately it hasn't been a lot but still enough to make spraying a waste of time and spray. 

• Like 6

IMG_0057.thumb.jpg.0de7eb5636e4fd23d46715bbd1655cc9.jpg

i want to run a dose of weed n feed over it but with all the recent rain there's not been a good time to get onto it. i do however love how everything everywhere around here in melbourne is so green and lush, i think back to 12 years ago when i moved over to this side of town in the middle of a drought and everything was so brown, sparse and dying.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stickers said:

IMG_0057.thumb.jpg.0de7eb5636e4fd23d46715bbd1655cc9.jpg

i want to run a dose of weed n feed over it but with all the recent rain there's not been a good time to get onto it. i do however love how everything everywhere around here in melbourne is so green and lush, i think back to 12 years ago when i moved over to this side of town in the middle of a drought and everything was so brown, sparse and dying.

That clothesline and path look like something I might have installed. I'm not much chop at getting things straight.

And you're right, the rain is great for greenery but not so good for the gardeners trying to maintain a tidy garden.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Malter White said:

That clothesline and path look like something I might have installed. I'm not much chop at getting things straight.

And you're right, the rain is great for greenery but not so good for the gardeners trying to maintain a tidy garden.

pretty sure the original builders in my 'burb didn't account for the natural shift of the land, everything is on a bit of a lean around here. worst thing the hoist no longer goes up nor down and is permanently set at concussion levels! i wear a wide brimmed hat and have learned to duck a lot whilst mowing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4