Coopers Community

Required: AG Aussie Mid recipe.

Marty_G

I have been trying to make a reasonable version of the above but who would have thought making a flavourless mega swill type beer was so hard.  There really is no where to hide with these and the smallest error can result in an unwanted taste.  It is for my son who has pretty bland taste. The ones I make that he doesn't like I  hop them in the keg to get them some great flavours but he is not  into hops.   Any help from the brain trust would be appreciated. @Greenyinthewestofsydney do you have anything? Have you tried that KB recipe as a mid strength? I have been trying to perfect this for four years and I seem to be getting further from the mark.   Even pressure fermenting and using large starters with great temp control has not helped. I am sure it is my recipes.  Most likely the hop schedules. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Marty_G

3 hours ago, Marty_G said:

I have been trying to make a reasonable version of the above but who would have thought making a flavourless mega swill type beer was so hard.  There really is no where to hide with these and the smallest error can result in an unwanted taste.  It is for my son who has pretty bland taste. The ones I make that he doesn't like I  hop them in the keg to get them some great flavours but he is not  into hops.   Any help from the brain trust would be appreciated. @Greenyinthewestofsydney do you have anything? Have you tried that KB recipe as a mid strength? I have been trying to perfect this for four years and I seem to be getting further from the mark.   Even pressure fermenting and using large starters with great temp control has not helped. I am sure it is my recipes.  Most likely the hop schedules. 

Cheers. 

Not sure if this is what you're after, but this is a Coopers Mild type recipe which is mid strength.

(4) Coopers Mild Ale | Australian Craft Brewing (aussiecraftbrewing.com.au)

38 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Not sure if this is what you're after, but this is a Coopers Mild type recipe which is mid strength.

(4) Coopers Mild Ale | Australian Craft Brewing (aussiecraftbrewing.com.au)

Thanks that will have too much flavour.  thinking more the meg swill, Great Northern, Iron Jack, XXXX gold, Mid strength styles.   Pale Ales I can master no problem it is the flavourless lager styles which are hard.  Either my grist is too malty or the  hop schedules give too much flavour. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

Thanks that will have too much flavour.  thinking more the meg swill, Great Northern, Iron Jack, XXXX gold, Mid strength styles.   Pale Ales I can master no problem it is the flavourless lager styles which are hard.  Either my grist is too malty or the  hop schedules give too much flavour. 

Tried using maize or flaked rice?

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Tried using maize or flaked rice?

Sure have, used dex as well.   I have been modifying recipes for years. Pretty much got the colours right but just cant nail the no flavour part.  Just getting sick of the effort and need someone with a proven recipe. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty_G said:

Cheers. 

This is for a low ABV pacific ale al la Stone and Wood.

2kg Pale
1kg Wheat 
200g light crystal
5g Galaxy (18%) @60 
20g Galaxy @5 
20g Galaxy whirlpool @90C for 10min
35g Galaxy dry hop (day 4 for 4 days)
Windsor Yeast

Mash is 45minutes @72C and mash out 10 minutes @78C
Batch size 26l
IBU 25.3
ABV 2.5%

The high temp mash gives it a bit more body and those who have tried the beer think it is quite decent for what it is. Because ABV is below the usual "mid" specs*, you might be able to add a bit of malt to get it to 3.5%

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

This is for a low ABV pacific ale al la Stone and Wood.

2kg Pale
1kg Wheat 
200g light crystal
5g Galaxy (18%) @60 
20g Galaxy @5 
20g Galaxy whirlpool @90C for 10min
35g Galaxy dry hop (day 4 for 4 days)
Windsor Yeast

Mash is 45minutes @72C and mash out 10 minutes @78C
Batch size 26l
IBU 25.3
ABV 2.5%

The high temp mash gives it a bit more body and those who have tried the beer think it is quite decent for what it is. Because ABV is below the usual "mid" specs*, you might be able to add a bit of malt to get it to 3.5%

That looks like a ripper of a recipe but all that Galaxy will give too much flavour. I am looking for a real bland mega swill style. After making flavoursome beers making bland beer is very hard. 

8 hours ago, Marty_G said:

Cheers. 

Haven't tried it as a mid strength mate but I can see it working pretty well. I'd just drop the grain proportionally and the IBU as well. That southern german lager yeast leaves a nice malty taste which I think would be work well with a mid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty_G said:

That looks like a ripper of a recipe but all that Galaxy will give too much flavour. I am looking for a real bland mega swill style. After making flavoursome beers making bland beer is very hard. 

Drop the Galaxy, use PoR or Superpride for a 60 mi ute addition and some more at around 10 to get to a similar IBU. Should work as a pale or some sorts 😀

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Haven't tried it as a mid strength mate but I can see it working pretty well. I'd just drop the grain proportionally and the IBU as well. That southern german lager yeast leaves a nice malty taste which I think would be work well with a mid.

Thanks mate. Will have a shot at it.  

That is it I am setting it too low for all of us.  I make good beer but these flavourless mega swills are hard to make.  

I made this for my dad he said it had a little bit more flavour than the real emu export but was pretty close. I guess you could lose the late addition and just adjust the 60minutes addition to get the required bitterness without the hop flavour and perhaps more sugar and less malt maybe?? This version was 4.2% and I used diamond lager yeast which seems pretty clean. I’ve also just made a batch for my mate who doesn’t like the fruity beers 🍻 

I have made the KB lager at just under 5% it was nice I was thinking of making it at 3.5% to see what it would be like! One my neighbours who doesn’t like fruity beers tried it as well he liked it too. 

E105BC50-82EA-4D80-A5EA-14783CA795F2.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I made this for my dad he said it had a little bit more flavour than the real emu export but was pretty close. I guess you could lose the late addition and just adjust the 60minutes addition to get the required bitterness without the hop flavour and perhaps more sugar and less malt maybe?? This version was 4.2% and I used diamond lager yeast which seems pretty clean. I’ve also just made a batch for my mate who doesn’t like the fruity beers 🍻 

I have made the KB lager at just under 5% it was nice I was thinking of making it at 3.5% to see what it would be like! One my neighbours who doesn’t like fruity beers tried it as well he liked it too. 

E105BC50-82EA-4D80-A5EA-14783CA795F2.jpeg

Thanks will give that a go as I was an Emu export drinker back in the day. Like 40 years ago. Loved the stuff. 

• Like 1

Thanks will give that a go as I was an Emu export drinker back in the day. Like 40 years ago. Loved the stuff. 

I lived in Perth in 1979 & Emu Export & Swan Lager were all the go, after a few years I continued to travel & drank every beer in every state, I don't think I have had an Export or a Swan since.

• Like 1