Coopers Community

Brewzilla 3.11 vs 4.0

Ok, so the time for a new system is nearing and I think I have settled for a 35l Brewzilla. I wanted a bigger system but then asked myself whether I really needed it. I have only once made 2 batches of the same beer on the same day, so maybe 65l would be overkill. I might hold on to the Guten with its bent malt tube for a bit longer, as it would let me brew two different batches simultaneously and cur my brew day in half 🙂  

I looked at the Grainfather S40 as it is a very interesting proposition, especially with the current low price. However there are a few things I don't like about it, mainly the lack of a hole in the lid, which means mashing without lid and losing temperature and that the element only kicks in once the temp is 3 degrees below target, which is a bit of a pain when mashing. 

So now I am facing the choice between the older but mature BZ 3.1.1 or the version 4. I don't necessarily need the RAPT integration and all that jazz but I like the design of the 4 without the overflow pipe and the newer malt tube with the holes on the side making it more basket like.

So for those who know both systems, and I am looking at you @ozdevil, is the version 4 worth the extra $$? Anything to look out for and be aware of?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, so the time for a new system is nearing and I think I have settled for a 35l Brewzilla. I wanted a bigger system but then asked myself whether I really needed it. I have only once made 2 batches of the same beer on the same day, so maybe 65l would be overkill. I might hold on to the Guten with its bent malt tube for a bit longer, as it would let me brew two different batches simultaneously and cur my brew day in half 🙂  

I looked at the Grainfather S40 as it is a very interesting proposition, especially with the current low price. However there are a few things I don't like about it, mainly the lack of a hole in the lid, which means mashing without lid and losing temperature and that the element only kicks in once the temp is 3 degrees below target, which is a bit of a pain when mashing. 

So now I am facing the choice between the older but mature BZ 3.1.1 or the version 4. I don't necessarily need the RAPT integration and all that jazz but I like the design of the 4 without the overflow pipe and the newer malt tube with the holes on the side making it more basket like.

So for those who know both systems, and I am looking at you @ozdevil, is the version 4 worth the extra $$? Anything to look out for and be aware of?

as i have both Models of bz35l   3.1.1 and the bz gen4 35l and i also have the Bz65l  but as your only looking at  the bz 35l

I think the extra dollars is worth it

your grain basket will hold more grain to allow you to do  bigger beers  in the bz35 gen4
There is less deadspace  but there is a risks with the less deadspace it can cause scorching but that still can happen in the 3.1.1
the  tap location is a lot better location then where the location on the 35l  

far as the tap location and the  re circ arm  on the gen4   you can either have the gen 4 connected to both tap and recirc arm connected or you can change it so the tap is not connected to the recirc arm

Cleaning of the Bz35l gen 4  is more of a breeze with cip terchnology  

having the control box at the top like the Grainfather is great as there is no need to be getting down low to change heat settings

The good thing is with the Gen4 and rapt intergration   is you can plan your brew day to help you in many ways
as you can create your own profiles and set it all up  sitting at your pc or on smart phone/tablet  work out your temps and how long you want all stages to be and to what heat settings you want   

The control box for the gen4  will have several updates coming (far to many to list)

the other good thing is even with both 3.1.1 gen4 versions you can get the extended mash tuns and the 12l boiler extender kit   so you can probably get 2 good batches out of both 3.1.1 and gen4  

i am very happy with the gen4     and i was going to sell my 3.1.1  but decided to keep it  as i can do 2 brews if needed at same time and then i just use my 65l bz 3.1.1 for sparging

you wont be sorry if you go the Gen 4   but it will take a bit of use to getting to know the control panel and dialing it all into your brews  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, interceptor said:

So the 65L Gen 3, is that any good? I know the Gen 4 is better but I do like the occasional big batch and the 65L Gen 4 does not have an eta.

I have a 15 amp circuit at the new house

mate i have had no issues  with the   bz 3.1.1 65l   it has served me well  and also you will be able to do bigger batches and bigger again

with the extenders for this model as well

the only problem i have with the 65l  is being able to get down low enough to change the heat settings when  need to 

the 65l  gen4  if you can hold out    is not that far off to be honest as the last i heard the was expecting late juy early august this was due to  few final changes and shipping them in to Australia

i think if you can wait and afford the $900  then i suggest waiting but at $620  for 65l bz 3.1.1   and you can put up with the control unit at floor level  then buy now

the deadspace is around 11.5l     with the 3.1.1  
the deadspace is considerable less at 3.5l   with the Gen4 

I'll be honest i will also be getting a 65l bz gen4  (might hold off on the 1st batch of these  as i am not in a real hurry  as finances are a bit tight at the moment
the reason i will be upgrading is my knees  and having to get down so low  

I have also seen the BZ65l gen 4  in action live  when kee doery was brewing in one at kegland  and they look good

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

older topic, but I have the same question. The 3.1.1 is now $350 which is very attractive, as opposed to the 4.0 which is $600.  Obviously the 4.0 is superior, but are the improvements enough to justify the difference in price? I don't really care about RAPT and wifi integration, although that is a cool feature.  Any new opinions out there?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

older topic, but I have the same question. The 3.1.1 is now $350 which is very attractive, as opposed to the 4.0 which is $600.  Obviously the 4.0 is superior, but are the improvements enough to justify the difference in price? I don't really care about RAPT and wifi integration, although that is a cool feature.  Any new opinions out there?

Mate I have the 3.1.1 & it is a great unit; the Gen 4 wasn't available when I bought mine.

If you don't care about RAPT & Wi-Fi integration, go for the Gen 3. The only other advantages I can see is the temp gauge is at the top instead of the bottom & a little bit of tweaking in design/features etc but for the money you save - think of all of the accessories you will need: Neoprene Jacket, SS stirring spoon, Hop Spider to name a few.

I have recently added the pro screen & done away with all of the other stuff, it gives you a bigger area to mash in & less to clean.

I don't use the Immersion Chiller either, I changed to Cubes. I don't like wasting water,

Either way they are great units & work well.

Beer tastes better too.  🍺

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Pro screen?

This one, it eliminates the need for all that other stuff in the malt pipe & you can do away with the rec arm etc, just leaves the entire vessel free to stir with ease.

35L BrewZilla 3.1.1 - Pro Top Screen for Malt Pipe - KegLand

kl05524_-_35l_brewzilla_3.1.1_-_pro_top_screen_for_malt_pipe-01.jpg

kl05524_-_35l_brewzilla_3.1.1_-_pro_top_screen_for_malt_pipe-01.jpg.mst.webp

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

This one, it eliminates the need for all that other stuff in the malt pipe & you can do away with the rec arm etc, just leaves the entire vessel free to stir with ease.

35L BrewZilla 3.1.1 - Pro Top Screen for Malt Pipe - KegLand

kl05524_-_35l_brewzilla_3.1.1_-_pro_top_screen_for_malt_pipe-01.jpg.mst.webp 68.57 kB · 1 download

cool! that is definitely a selling point. I'm not sure why they say it's for experienced brewers? Surely you could use it straight off the bat?

• Like 1

Just now, Cheap Charlie said:

cool! that is definitely a selling point. I'm not sure why they say it's for experienced brewers? Surely you could use it straight off the bat?

Yes, you can if you are confident that when you mash in, you are stirring enough to avoid clumps (a handful of rice hulls helps with that) without the other pipes, bottom, re-circ arm etc it gives you complete freedom to brew. The end result is still the same.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, you can if you are confident that when you mash in, you are stirring enough to avoid clumps (a handful of rice hulls helps with that) without the other pipes, bottom, re-circ arm etc it gives you complete freedom to brew. The end result is still the same.

Cool, I didn't like the look of the overflow pipe getting in the way of things. At the end of the day the value for money is there as opposed to building your own mash tun setup. I don't mind spending the extra if there is a significant improvement to a brew, but if only slightly better than I might go for the cheaper option. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Cool, I didn't like the look of the overflow pipe getting in the way of things. At the end of the day the value for money is there as opposed to building your own mash tun setup. I don't mind spending the extra if there is a significant improvement to a brew, but if only slightly better than I might go for the cheaper option. 

Mate there would be other opinions on this, but I explained my reasons for going the Gen 3.11. @ozdevil has both units so he may be able to add more but the Gen 4 is a lot dearer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate there would be other opinions on this, but I explained my reasons for going the Gen 3.11. @ozdevil has both units so he may be able to add more but the Gen 4 is a lot dearer.

Here is David Heath's video on the comparisons of the 2 models.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Thanks 1

@Cheap Charlie As @Classic Brewing Co Stated i do have both and sometime this year i plan to be replacing my 65l with the 65l gen 4

now  there is huge differences  to both 3.1.1 and the gen4     

1. is deadspace 

the 3.1.1 has alot of deadspace compared to  its newer sibling the gen4   the 3.1.1  is about 6.5litres of deadspace  where as the deadspace is roughly 3l for the gen4

2. mash tun

the mash tuns are completely different  the bz35 gen4  is bigger and this is due to the fact of deadspace  being lot smaller   and the gen 4 grain basket can take alot more grain
then the 3.1.1   . having the gen4 mash tun  helps if you want bigger abv beers as well  but thats not the be all end all

3 mash pipe

now the 3.1.1  has the mash pipe or overflow pipe and what this is suppose to do is basically stop scorching,  however though as Phil stated  the malt pipe can be removed and the bottom screen replaced by a pro screen or you can plug the malt pipe hole with a 316 stainless steel bolt and nut 

The gen 4 doesn't come with  the malt pipe

5.   control panel

self explanatory   its now been shifted   from the bottom to top of the unit on the gen4   unfortunately the 3.1.1  is at the bottom

now both can be used with out  the rapt eco system and can be used manually  to brew 

Accessories can be interchangeable between the both except the mash tun  as they are different sizes

in my opinion if you really dont want  the rapt side of things  where you can make your own profiles etc  then go the 3.1.1 
as it is going to be more user friendly from the start

both make beer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

@Cheap Charlie As @Classic Brewing Co Stated i do have both and sometime this year i plan to be replacing my 65l with the 65l gen 4

now  there is huge differences  to both 3.1.1 and the gen4     

1. is deadspace 

the 3.1.1 has alot of deadspace compared to  its newer sibling the gen4   the 3.1.1  is about 6.5litres of deadspace  where as the deadspace is roughly 3l for the gen4

2. mash tun

the mash tuns are completely different  the bz35 gen4  is bigger and this is due to the fact of deadspace  being lot smaller   and the gen 4 grain basket can take alot more grain
then the 3.1.1   . having the gen4 mash tun  helps if you want bigger abv beers as well  but thats not the be all end all

3 mash pipe

now the 3.1.1  has the mash pipe or overflow pipe and what this is suppose to do is basically stop scorching,  however though as Phil stated  the malt pipe can be removed and the bottom screen replaced by a pro screen or you can plug the malt pipe hole with a 316 stainless steel bolt and nut 

The gen 4 doesn't come with  the malt pipe

5.   control panel

self explanatory   its now been shifted   from the bottom to top of the unit on the gen4   unfortunately the 3.1.1  is at the bottom

now both can be used with out  the rapt eco system and can be used manually  to brew 

Accessories can be interchangeable between the both except the mash tun  as they are different sizes

in my opinion if you really dont want  the rapt side of things  where you can make your own profiles etc  then go the 3.1.1 
as it is going to be more user friendly from the start

both make beer

Great summary.  If I was buying one now, I would buy the Gen 4 without hesitation.  In fact, once I have enough fermenting space, I will upgrade my Grainfather G30 to the 65 litre Brewzilla Gen 4.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great summary.  If I was buying one now, I would buy the Gen 4 without hesitation.  In fact, once I have enough fermenting space, I will upgrade my Grainfather G30 to the 65 litre Brewzilla Gen 4.

I hope everyone didn't think I was canning or promoting the Gen 3, the Gen 4 wasn't available when I bought mine.

I would definitely by the Gen 4 65l when I am ready to upgrade, I was merely pointing out the $250.00 price difference & @Cheap Charlie mentioned he wasn't fussed about the RAPT etc.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I hope everyone didn't think I was canning or promoting the Gen 3, the Gen 4 wasn't available when I bought mine.

I would definitely by the Gen 4 65l when I am ready to upgrade, I was merely pointing out the $250.00 price difference & @Cheap Charlie mentioned he wasn't fussed about the RAPT etc.

All good, Phil.  Your comments made sense.  Cheers Shamus

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

all good phil , you wasn't canning or promoting in a bad sense just  your honest thoughts.

• Like 3