Coopers Community

Recommendation needed - heating mat or pad for a FV?

jennyss

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

I have posted in 'What's in your fermenter' that I have just made my 5th brew.  After all the varied and good advice on temperature control; I have dragged a small column oil heater into the laundry where the FV sits. Twenty hours later the brew temp is 20deg, room temp is 20deg and the outside temp is 5deg. However, I may be in for electricity bill shock! I did buy a Morgans brand heat mat.

I have a Morgan’s heat pad works really well in my little fridge, it just heats the ambient temp with no contact to the fermenter and is connected to inkbird with probe attached to fermenter so there are no wild temp swings. Doesn’t seem to work hard to sustain the temps required even with kveik. 

8127A1A5-044F-4B2E-9094-C461CBADD7A2.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I have posted in 'What's in your fermenter' that I have just made my 5th brew.  After all the varied and good advice on temperature control; I have dragged a small column oil heater into the laundry where the FV sits. Twenty hours later the brew temp is 20deg, room temp is 20deg and the outside temp is 5deg. However, I may be in for electricity bill shock! I did buy a Morgans brand heat mat.

Looks like you are moving in the right direction, the Ale & the yeast you are using will do well in that temperature range, I do most of my brews at ambient & that is around the temp that I can keep constant in my brew room. I converted my brew fridge to a keg fridge so as the weather gets colder I will have to employ my heat belt & perhaps look at giving up another fridge  for brewing.

All the best with your new format.

Cheers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

and it would keep your xxxx gold at perfect serving temperature

That’s too valuable to drink it’s the key part of the engineering process holding the shelf up!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, jennyss said:

I think using the small oil heater in a cupboard with the barrel would make more sense. Better still the heat mat when it arrives. 

• Like 1

Living on the Sunshine Coast I don't need to bother with any heating apparatus, although last winter was touch and go
with the Inkbird hovering around 17deg. (set at 18deg) some days until lunch time.  For big swings in temp. you'll need a heat pad,
which is preferable to a belt in spreading the heat. For anyone in my situation all you'll need is a light bulb under a plant pot or
similar so the light won't skunk the beer. 

• Like 1