Coopers Community

Malt only, no sugar?

worry wort

In an answer to another question I have posted, a reply came back to ditch sugars all together and only use malt.  As this is new to me, what would I put in a brew, the can of brew mix, the yeast, and then just malt?  How much would I be looking at using, a kg, 1.5? 

Keen to break new ground.

cheers

WW

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, worry wort said:

In an answer to another question I have posted, a reply came back to ditch sugars all together and only use malt.  As this is new to me, what would I put in a brew, the can of brew mix, the yeast, and then just malt?  How much would I be looking at using, a kg, 1.5? 

cheers

WW

It depends on what you want to achieve.🍻

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, worry wort said:

cheers

WW

That's right, just add the malt. 1.2kg dried malt and 1.5l liquid malt are roughly the equivalent to 1kg dextrose. Liquid malt contains more water, hence the higher amount over the dried variety. 

• Like 2

A lot of brewers here will suggest malt, malt and more malt and there is a lot of merit in using malt because of the body and flavour it adds but I've found it's not so great if you're trying to achieve lighter styles of beer. For example, pale ales become somewhat dark with too much malt, even if you use light malt. It's probably better to use something like BE2 that has a little malt, dextrose and maltodextrin.

In answer to your question @worry wort, you add the malt at the start of your brew day. Mix it with a bit of hot water to dissolve it and combine it with your can of extract. Add cooler water to the 18-25 litre mark and add your yeast once you've reached a suitable pitching temperature - at the very least it should be below 30C but lower is better.

• Like 2

Dextrose has its place in beers but you just need to use it judiciously. Whilst I understand the sentiment, saying you should only use malt is limiting.

I found that using all malt in bigger beers can leave a sweet, cloying residual taste and also a high final gravity. Using mostly malt with a little dextrose can help with this.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Dextrose has its place in beers but you just need to use it judiciously. Whilst I understand the sentiment, saying you should only use malt is limiting.

I found that using all malt in bigger beers can leave a sweet, cloying residual taste and also a high final gravity. Using mostly malt with a little dextrose can help with this.

Yep I agree a small balance of both will give a better result or at least a not so heavy, malty beer. I was using mostly LME for a while but have experimented with other fermentables as well, it balances things up a bit. A variety of Brew Enhancers/Brew Blends are available for this reason.

• Like 3

I changed to LDM and bumped it up to 1.5k in a few brews

the beer was OK but not quite what I'm after, I've since dropped the malt back to 1k and added 200g of dextrose.

will taste one of these next week, let you know.

We all have different taste in Beer

• Like 4