Coopers Community

Coopers on special at Woolies

spuddox

I dropped into Woolies.  I walked past the cabinet that contains the artificial meat to get to the aisle containing the pretend beer, where the homebrew used to be.  There are 12 different varieties of fake beer there now but even more disturbing was an even bigger section containing fake wine and non alcoholic spirits.  

I can understand why some people might want to eat some other protein that isn't derived from animal flesh but why do they need to pretend that it is meat ?  I can understand why people might want to drink non-intoxicating beverages but why do they need to pretend they are drinking beer ?   Would they sell as much of this stuff if it was just called  Amber-pop ?  Or 'textured vegetable protein' ?  

I hate the modern world.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thirsty Jim said:

I dropped into Woolies.  I walked past the cabinet that contains the artificial meat to get to the aisle containing the pretend beer, where the homebrew used to be.  There are 12 different varieties of fake beer there now but even more disturbing was an even bigger section containing fake wine and non alcoholic spirits.  

I can understand why some people might want to eat some other protein that isn't derived from animal flesh but why do they need to pretend that it is meat ?  I can understand why people might want to drink non-intoxicating beverages but why do they need to pretend they are drinking beer ?   Would they sell as much of this stuff if it was just called  Amber-pop ?  Or 'textured vegetable protein' ?  

I hate the modern world.

Yeah I agree it's pretty sad to see it happening.

Being somewhat an old fart now I've seen a few of changes, like I can remember buying shotgun cartridges and .22 ammo at K-mart after school and taking it home on the school bus. Hell we even had trap shooting as a sporting event one year and there was a bunch of us walking around from class to class with our shotguns in gun bags until we took the bus to the range, and this was only in the 80's.

As ol' Merle Haggard once sung 'We are rolling downhill like snowball headed for Hell"

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

I hate the modern world.

I agree if you don't like alcohol don't by non alcoholic wines or beer have an orange juice !!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Frosty Chop said:

Yeah I agree it's pretty sad to see it happening.

Being somewhat an old fart now I've seen a few of changes, like I can remember buying shotgun cartridges and .22 ammo at K-mart after school and taking it home on the school bus. Hell we even had trap shooting as a sporting event one year and there was a bunch of us walking around from class to class with our shotguns in gun bags until we took the bus to the range, and this was only in the 80's.

As ol' Merle Haggard once sung 'We are rolling downhill like snowball headed for Hell"

Yes I remember getting Winchester .22 bullets at the Barber/Hardware/Servo etc, the Co-op store sold the Shotgun ammo, we also used to go in there with the gun in the bag & walk down the river & shoot ducks or whatever, you could the the shots from the town. 

Imagine that now ?? 🚔

@Frosty Chop was that the pistol club at the weir you went to with school?

i remember mucking around along the train lines on the way to the weir late 80's -early 90's and the bullets ricocheting from targets or something at the pistol club were on the ground everywhere...you could hear the buzzing sound in the air before seeing them land around you  haha  also sorry about only leaving one can  i only grabbed the last 2 of each that were in date lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spuddox said:

@Frosty Chop was that the pistol club at the weir you went to with school?

i remember mucking around along the train lines on the way to the weir late 80's -early 90's and the bullets ricocheting from targets or something at the pistol club were on the ground everywhere...you could hear the buzzing sound in the air before seeing them land around you  haha  also sorry about only leaving one can  i only grabbed the last 2 of each that were in date lol

No not the pistol range down there, I went to Corio tech school back then and we went to the shotgun clay target club range in Geelong, I think it's closed now.

Haha no probs with the cans, I would have done the same. I haven't checked out Coburns Woolies yet.

1 hour ago, Frosty Chop said:

Haha no probs with the cans, I would have done the same. I haven't checked out Coburns Woolies yet.

thats all good cause i went to the Coburns woolies for the specaial lol so someone else left you with 1 can at the woolies in the Bronx(Melton south) haha

59 minutes ago, spuddox said:

thats all good cause i went to the Coburns woolies for the specaial lol so someone else left you with 1 can at the woolies in the Bronx(Melton south) haha

Nah, the last old can I found at the Woodgrove Woolies next to Aldi at the Uncle Dans end of the the shopping center.

I haven't been down to the Bronx Woolie, they are fairly new and I'm not sure if they'd even have a homebrew section.

i might check it out this weekend and i never remember there's a Woolies in Woodgrove lol  i don't know why we need 3 of them here but it will be great during specials if they keep stocking Coopers cause I'll just visit all 3 stores

53 minutes ago, spuddox said:

i might check it out this weekend and i never remember there's a Woolies in Woodgrove lol  i don't know why we need 3 of them here but it will be great during specials if they keep stocking Coopers cause I'll just visit all 3 stores

You'll have to beat me first 😉

Uncle Dan's do price matching too but probably not for heavily marked down clearance items.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

You may be a bit psychic Jennyss. I was in one of my local Woolies in central Victoria yesterday and the Coopers cans were on special there for 13 dollars each. Their new Brigalow home brew boxes were also on special at 26 dollars each. I don’t know whether the specials are only local or are further spread out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, thebeerpig said:

You may be a bit psychic Jennyss. I was in one of my local Woolies in central Victoria yesterday and the Coopers cans were on special there for 13 dollars each. Their new Brigalow home brew boxes were also on special at 26 dollars each. I don’t know whether the specials are only local or are further spread out.

In Adelaide my closest Big W stocks a huge range of Coopers/Brigalow products & the prices keep increasing the same as they do in the Supermarkets but on special occasions; Easter/Father's Day etc they usually have at least 20% off.

Sadly, the Woolworths adjacent removed all of the stock from their shelves & there are no discounts currently, probably will be at Xmas.

• Like 1

There's a large Big W in nearby Bendigo with a huge selection of all of the Coopers & Brigalow home brewing gear & there is also a Dan Murphy's a couple of hundred metres from Big W that sells all of the Coopers range. The downside for me is that the round trip to either takes around an hour to get back home. On the upside my closest Woolies sells Coopers Pale Ale, the Coopers & Woolies Draught, and Coopers & Woolies Lager as well as the 2 Brigalow brews. Their range is currently big enough to keep me happy ,so I currently buy most of my home brews there as the round trip from home only takes me around 10 minutes 😀.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jennyss said:

Note to self - check the dates on the posts when I open up a thread! I got excited reading the header 'Coopers on special at Woolies'; and dived in replying to posts that were 11 months old - duhh. 

I've done the same, not looked at dates and replied to posts over a Year old.

My local Woolies had 20% off Lager and Draught today but not Pale. 

• Haha 2