Coopers Community

Coopers on special at Woolies

spuddox

First up Hi to everyone I'm a newbie to both the forum and brewing(3rd batch almost ready English bitter with extra malt etc.. at 6% already after 6 days in the fv just to try it lol) and just wanted to say thanks for all advice throughout the forum guys as i have been reading and learning heaps already and i was rapt to see real ale and dark ale is only $5.35 at Woolies today with 2023 use by dates so just thought I'd do a shout out about it lol

cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went back for more (Rye, Vic) and yes, $5.35 for the Dark Ale, Real Ale all gone, $1.30 for Carbo Drops.  Dex was cheap too (but not Coopers).  It's a worry because it looks like they are clearing more than just Real and Dark kits.  I hope not.  I am looking at a 40 or 50k drive to find a Big W or a Dan's; ( or, as I have been doing recently, buying my gear online from Coopers...and that's working out alright for me).

Woolies recently demerged with the Endeavour group.  The Financial review reported at the time...

Endeavour Group will have annual sales of around $10.6 billion (pro forma 2020) and earnings before interest and tax of $693 million.

It will own 1630 retail liquor stores under the Dan Murphy’s and BWS brands, specialty retail and online brands Cellarmasters, Langton’s, Jimmy Brings and Shorty’s Liquor, drinks manufacturer and supplier Pinnacle Drinks, as well as a portfolio of 332 licensed venues with 12,364 poker machines and about 290 TABs and KENO outlets.

The demerger will enable Woolworths to partially distance itself from the poker machines and gaming businesses, although Woolworths has said that was not the primary motivation for the split. "

I am just thinking out aloud but I wonder if untangling the liquor business from the supermarket business means Woolies will drop home brew lines from its supermarkets ?  

We'll just have to wait as see... in the meantime I have plenty of Dark Ale to keep me company.

Edited by Thirsty Jim
  • Like 3

$5.35 AUD. That's like $3.75 USD. Can't find a Dark Ale kit here in the states for less than $20 USD which is about $30 AUD to you guys. This just for the can of goop too.

I do love this forum!  Bunch of friendly and KNOWLEDGEABLE people's here.

Edited by Panther Branch Brewing
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Panther Branch Brewing said:

$5.35 AUD. That's like $3.75 USD. Can't find a Dark Ale kit here in the states for less than $20 USD which is about $30 AUD to you guys. This just for the can of goop too.

I do love this forum!  Bunch of friendly and KNOWLEDGEABLE people's here.

at $20usd you would be better of going All grain  if thats the cost of can of goop and nothing else

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

I wonder if untangling the liquor business from the supermarket business means Woolies will drop home brew lines from its supermarkets

It could be the case.

I noticed that Woolworths are now stocking a range of bottled non alcohol drinks, like Gin etc. It's dearer than the real stuff.

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

at $20usd you would be better of going All grain  if thats the cost of can of goop and nothing else

That's what I do. Cooper's makes great canned kits but the price is just too steep to justify.

I just bought 9 kilos of pale malt and 120g of hops for $30 USD. Much better deal.

• Like 4

I like the cans - partly because it's SOOO much cheaper than buying beer in the bottle shop or (especially) on tap and it's much faster than AG brewing. Even with 1 partial mash I can have 2 brews in the fridge in less that 2.5 hours. 😄 

And using Coopers cans as a base ensures a highly drinkable beer of a wide variety of types with minimum time spent. Plus I don't have to work out how to hold 5+ kg of wet grain above a pot while it drains. 😄 

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I like the cans - partly because it's SOOO much cheaper than buying beer in the bottle shop or (especially) on tap and it's much faster than AG brewing. Even with 1 partial mash I can have 2 brews in the fridge in less that 2.5 hours. 😄 

And using Coopers cans as a base ensures a highly drinkable beer of a wide variety of types with minimum time spent. Plus I don't have to work out how to hold 5+ kg of wet grain above a pot while it drains. 😄 

I agree, the cans of extract are the gateway to brewing, if you want a basic brew you can just follow the instructions & bingo, you have made some beer. However adding different fermentables & experimenting with grains & hops lifts it to another level & the sky is the limit, you can push the boundaries & eventually create your own teaks & recipes to your own tastes.

The simplified method & the low cost add to the advantages of being able to brew without more equipment & investing more in to it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

I'm South of Adelaide

I'll keep looking

I have time.

Had another look through Woolies and BigW whilst I was in Seaford today,  BigW had heaps but no discount, Woolies had discount but Sold out....

I've missed the boat!

9 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

... they have cleared everything, including Coopers Lager and Coopers Draught.  The shelves are bare.  Even the Homebrand is gone.  

This happened at a lot of Woolies about 2 years ago.  I did notice that Mornington Woolies still kept stocking Coopers after that.  They were one of the few.  Maybe they have now joined the rest of their stores.

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This happened at a lot of Woolies about 2 years ago.  I did notice that Mornington Woolies still kept stocking Coopers after that.  They were one of the few.  Maybe they have now joined the rest of their stores.

Well possibly Coopers online & the LHBS will reap the benefits with their decision to reduce/clear stock, over the years I have seen quite a lot of HB stock move through Supermarkets, maybe they are pushing it towards Dan Murphy's.