Coopers Community

Keg hoppers advice

Howdy keg hop lords..... 

I’m doing a west coast pale this week. I was thinking I’d keg hop instead of dry hopping. 

ive got some heavy hitters going into the recipe. Columbus, centennial, cascade and simcoe. Wasn’t sure if a keg hop just shy of a hundee grams with those bad boys might be a bit much in the keg? I’ve got a tube so they won’t be loose. 

Or would I be better splitting the amount over dry and keg hop? 

cheers. 

8 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Howdy keg hop lords..... 

I’m doing a west coast pale this week. I was thinking I’d keg hop instead of dry hopping. 

ive got some heavy hitters going into the recipe. Columbus, centennial, cascade and simcoe. Wasn’t sure if a keg hop just shy of a hundee grams with those bad boys might be a bit much in the keg? I’ve got a tube so they won’t be loose. 

cheers. 

I would split. If you do all in keg you cant take them back. Dry hop first, taste then keg hop if required.

• Like 2

+1 to what Titan said.

When I used to keg hop, the flavour/aroma is pretty bloody strong IMO.

Stopped doing it because the hops were soaking up too much precious beer!

But still worth a try if you want a big in your face kick of hoppy goodness!

Cheers

James

On 7/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, MitchBastard said:

Howdy keg hop lords..... 

cheers. 

If you are going to keg hop as part of the recipe then I would go with half the intended amount for a dry hop that has been my experience and not dry hop in the fermenter

• Thanks 1