Coopers Community

dry hopping help needed it!

Leandro96

Hey guys! i just wanted to ask a question. My recipe says 14 days of dry hopping with amarillo. i want to know if i put the wort mix in the fermenter and then add the yeast and after the hops? or should i add the hops first and then the yeast? Thank you guys for the help you are always giving! CHEERS!

A bit like Lab Cat suggested, I dry hop around day 4 or 5 or once my SG had dropped to under 1.020.

Wrap the hops loosely in a Chux cloth, pulled straight from the packet, and tied so the hops cannot float free.  I  leave the dry hops in for three days.

I grab some powder-free food handling gloves.  Put them on and give them a good spray with Starsan.  I fish out the Chux cloth and give it a squeeze to release the hoppy goodness into the brew.

Fourteen days sounds like a long time to leave a dry hop in the beer.

12 hours ago, Leandro96 said:

Thanks for the reply man! here i leave you the recipe!

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.37.28 pm.png

I'm puzzled by this...

Unless I am mistaken, 'Primary' means the initial ferment as the yeast converts sugars to alcohol. Secondary means conditioning using the remnant yeast to produce CO2 (+ a little more alcohol)

These periods for ferment seem odd. 

1. The primary doesn't have a set date and US-05 is unlikely to be done in 4 days.

2. Secondary is in the bottle or perhaps the keg and 10 days is unlikely to be long enough.

Where is this recipe FROM?

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

1. The primary doesn't have a set date and US-05 is unlikely to be done in 4 days.

2. Secondary is in the bottle or perhaps the keg and 10 days is unlikely to be long enough.

Where is this recipe FROM?

Back in the day, brewers use to rack the beer off the yeast and age/mature in another vessel, hence secondary. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Back in the day, brewers use to rack the beer off the yeast and age/mature in another vessel, hence secondary. 

I thought it an odd brewing schedule. I think the US beer sites still have a lot of secondary evangelists, maybe it's from one of those.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

I thought it an odd brewing schedule. I think the US beer sites still have a lot of secondary evangelists, maybe it's from one of those.

Yeah technically its not really secondary because there isn't any sugars being added. I don't think there are many secondary evangelists left but there are a lot of old posts and recipes still floating around. I think a reason why they racked was because dry yeast was not as viable (when I started it was stored warm and that was less than 10 years ago) - racking would rouse the yeast and probably oxygenate pushing the fermentation along.

Re dryhopping the advice seems to be shorter contact times - 48 hours seems to be enough but its probably fine to go up to five days. This is an attempt to reduce astringent and grassy flavours. I generally dry hop close to the end of fermentation (generally day 5 or 6 ish) and it stays in the fermenter when it goes to the keg. I've been playing with a second charge in the keg for another 48 hours - I've been fishing this one out because I was noticing some astringency.

NEIPAs  have a more exotic hopping schedule and do have a hop charge thrown in at day 1/5/keg. These probably have the longest dry hopping time but I like to have them in the keg within 10 days (so a 9 day dry hop). This is the exception and not the rule.

Edited by NicolasW

I sometimes think as these recipes get handed down some of the instuctions get misconstrued. Could it mean dry hop on day 14 rather than 14 days of dry hop? Would make a little more sense.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Titan said:

I sometimes think as these recipes get handed down some of the instuctions get misconstrued. Could it mean dry hop on day 14 rather than 14 days of dry hop? Would make a little more sense.

That does make a lot more sense.