Coopers Community

ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout

Having just made my first stout to some success, a Coffee Stout, this sounds like the perfect follow up. It just popped up in my emails...

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/belgian-chocolate-stout.html?utm_campaign=83559_DIY Beer April&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Coopers Brewery Ltd&dm_i=4FT9,1SH3,RGJD2,5E8H,1

Will have to place and order for some grains... 😄

I think there was only one of each ROTM available this month. Nothing there Wednesday night, looked again Thursday morning and the total 1 or 2 kits available were already snapped up. I ended up going to my local Home Brew supply place and getting a Morgans kit until I can try my luck within the 5 minute ROTM buyers window next month.

• Sad 1

Hi All, Yep, we couldn’t believe how quickly these ROTMs were snapped up either! We’ve got lots of new and returning brewers who have added to the demand. Unfortunately as we plan our ROTMS in advance, and order in raw ingredients specifically for each recipe to ensure freshness, we don’t have the additional speciality ingredients to release any more immediately. However, this month due to the rapid sell out, we are investigating the possibility of making up more. If we do release more, we will update our website, Community Forum and Facebook pages, so keep an eye out! 

Cheers, 

Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any tips or advice on This recipe? First time purchase of this Rotm. Want to get it right. Recipe talks about using a mesh cloth. Is this just a chux style cloth or a specific item i need to acquire.

Thanks guys.

Buy a fresh pack of chux. I don't remember if there's scented/unscented types, but always buy unscented stuff for brewing. I keep mine in a big zip lock bag to keep the unused ones clean. I think the videos in the Brewing Support section above have one on adding grain and hops that show you how to do it. Otherwise, follow the instructions and you should be good to go. Most stouts benefit from a few to several months of aging, but you can drink your beer any time after it has carbonated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Allan A said:

Any tips or advice on This recipe? First time purchase of this Rotm. Want to get it right. Recipe talks about using a mesh cloth. Is this just a chux style cloth or a specific item i need to acquire.

+1 to what @Instigator said.  I like to use the large chux 60cm x 60cm for steeping grains and large 50g+ dry hopping.  The typical size 30cm x 60cm are good for under 50g of hops.  I cut about 4cm off one end of the chux to use as a tie once I gather up the edges of the main part of the cloth. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

+1 to what @Instigator said.  I like to use the large chux 60cm x 60cm for steeping grains and large 50g+ dry hopping.  The typical size 30cm x 60cm are good for under 50g of hops.  I cut about 4cm off one end of the chux to use as a tie once I gather up the edges of the main part of the cloth. 

I have a roll of 60 x 30 ones. I roll it lengthwise with the hops in the roll, in 3rds if that makes sense.  (hops above centreline, fold over the top then fold the bottom 3rd over that - keeps the hops in place)

Then I twist the ends a couple of times and tie them in a knot, stick the handle of a SS dessert spoon through the knot, then  tie a string around the knot, pull it all tight and dangle it in the FV so it's under the surface but not on the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to grab one of these. I want to get a dark beer on tap to give my taste buds a holiday from the hazy IPA currently on tap (although the keg is emptying quickly so might have to lay anyone one down before she blows empty).

Has anyone got this out of the fermenter yet? I am guessing nobody is drinking it yet but how are the sneaky tasters from the hydrometer samples going?

On 5/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I cut about 4cm off one end of the chux to use as a tie once I gather up the edges of the main part of the cloth. 

Can't believe I've never thought to do this, I can finally stop swiping hair ties off the better half. 

Edited by DavidB
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just put this one down.

Followed the recipe ( but added an extra 250g dextrose ) 

This looks a bit beautiful and intense in the FV. 😋 

Anyone put this to the taste test yet ?

Cheers all.

Fellow Brewers,

noticed this recipe talks about only 1 carbonation drop for long term storage. 

Question 1 - how longer storage specificly would require just the one drop?

Question 2 - what age is this choc stout best consumed at.

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Allan A said:

Fellow Brewers,

noticed this recipe talks about only 1 carbonation drop for long term storage. 

Question 1 - how longer storage specificly would require just the one drop?

Question 2 - what age is this choc stout best consumed at.

Thanks in advance.

I did the Russian Imperial Stout over a year ago.  I did most of the bottles with 1 drop worth of sugar.  These were fine to drink even after a few months.  Best to wait until 6 months.

Best consume time would be from the 6 months point.  Can start drinking them after a month though.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:50 PM, Clinto73 said:

Forgot to mention.. i had a OG of 1060 ! 

Does that seem OK ?

Novice brewer myself, i had an OG of 1050 (hydrometer finishes at 1040 though so rough calc) which i think is low given its meant to finish around 1016 and over a 6% Alcohol content. Id be happy with your OG.

Usint my Brewtracker app mine is heading for less than 5%??

Cheers Allan

Just about to bottle at 1018 which gives me around 5.5% ABV ( after bottling around 6 % i suspect) 

Thought it would be a little higher in alcohol ..? ( as followed recipe plus 250g dextrose ) 

Recipe reckons 6.4 % 

Otherwise looks and smells good .

1 hour ago, Clinto73 said:

Cheers Allan

Just about to bottle at 1018 which gives me around 5.5% ABV ( after bottling around 6 % i suspect) 

Thought it would be a little higher in alcohol ..? ( as followed recipe plus 250g dextrose ) 

Recipe reckons 6.4 % 

Otherwise looks and smells good .

That seems high even for a thick stout. Are you sure it is at OG?

I did an oatmeal stout - 2 x Coopers cans, LDME and 4 different grains in it and that came out at FG = 1.014. (OG was 1.078 😄 )

On 6/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, Allan A said:

Novice brewer myself, i had an OG of 1050 (hydrometer finishes at 1040 though so rough calc) which i think is low given its meant to finish around 1016 and over a 6% Alcohol content. Id be happy with your OG.

What kind of hydro only goes to 1.040?

Edited by Journeyman