Coopers Community

ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout

6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

2 weeks in the keg.

Enjoy mate, thanks for the update. Happy drinking.

10 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Yes it was kegged, not bottled, my FG was 1.020 which was above what I expected but the result is very pleasing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Allan A said:

Will be sampling mine this weekend, how carbonated was your brew. Did you use drops or sugar?

Bulk primed mine with dex think it was 160gm on 23 litres turned out good, strong abv three henry's and you know you've had them !

Stout.jpg

Bloody beautiful mate.

I have a beautiful looking Session ale down. My carbonation feels low with the drops so im going to try the sugar this time around. 

Gonna have to look in to this bulk priming as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Good question @Paulo M.  I put mine in whole.  But what do I know?  I have not sampled the finished brew, but I could not detect vanilla in the sample tube sips.  But I did increase the Chocolate Malt to 300g from 250g.  If splitting the bean, extracts more flavour, I would do it next time around.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:10 PM, Paulo M said:

Just about to get cracking on this recipe. Quick one about the vanilla bean, when adding this does it go in as it is or does it need to be split first?

Thanks for any help

I used essence instead of the bean and i must admit i can not taste Vanilla in the brew also.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:10 PM, Paulo M said:

Just about to get cracking on this recipe. Quick one about the vanilla bean, when adding this does it go in as it is or does it need to be split first?

Thanks for any help

I sliced mine open and scraped the guts into the pot with the bean and also slithered the other bean in the test tube and threw that in the fermenter as well, I found I can taste both chocolate and vanilla notes more when the stout is closer to room temperature but a bit faint if it's cold, bloody good drop though. It's my stout that keeps on giving, ages well.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 12:53 PM, Hodgo said:

I sliced mine open and scraped the guts into the pot with the bean and also slithered the other bean in the test tube and threw that in the fermenter as well, I found I can taste both chocolate and vanilla notes more when the stout is closer to room temperature but a bit faint if it's cold, bloody good drop though. It's my stout that keeps on giving, ages well.

Thanks @Hodgo, I only had the one so sliced it open and scraped out the insides like you did. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

On 8/13/2020 at 10:15 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sorry.  To clarify, I meant do the same recipe, but swap the Devil's Half Ruby Porter for the Stout.

I'll give this a go on the weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. Cheers! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 8:44 PM, Beerlust said:

4. This is the comical one. The brewer simply forgot to add a carb drop or priming sugar to the bottle when capping. Happens all the time. 

That's why bottling day in our place uses two people. I grab the bottle and lid. The SO plops in the carb drops, and then I squeeze the bottle to remove the air head space and then cap it. The SO makes sure I don't cap a bottle without the carb drops. Then once they are labelled, the lids are individually checked/tightened again as they are placed into warm and dark storage.

Squeezing the bottles a little helps me see a few days later if they are carbing/ secondary fermenting properly, because they pop back out. I have only had one limp bottle after 12 brews: I re-seated the cap and it firmed up enough after another week.

Edited by pilotsh