Coopers Community

Which hops to use for a Stout

Marty_G

Hi brains trust need some help with hops for a stout/porter. I have these on hand and at the moment and was thinking of bittering with Cascade and then doing some 20 minute additions with cluster and EKG to get to about 45IBU.  Anyone have any other ideas.   Hops on hand are: 

East Kent Golding
Cascade
Nelson Sauvin
Simcoe
Hallertau Blanc
Saaz
PoR
Cluster
EKG
Citra

Centennial

Cheers Marty

8 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Even though i have only used it once. If i had to buy a hop for a stout or porter. It would be northern brewer. 

That is a great suggestion. I think it is a ripper of a hop. I may just hold off making it and get some.  

On 3/31/2020 at 7:05 PM, Ben 10 said:

I'd use either the Eat Kent Goldings or the EKG from that list.

Aren't East Kent Goldings and EKG the same thing?

I'm looking at something like the oatmeal stout using Coopers OS Stout and Dark Ale cans. Would there be any point in doing a bittering hops - according to the SS, just those 2 cans sits it on 81 IBU's?

Is there any point doing a steep or Dry of WKG or is that kinda a waste in a stout?

Also, although not really about hops in stout... When is the best time to add chocolate or coffee? e.g. I don't think coffee (espresso shots) should go in the boil as it could burn the coffee. So, at pitching time? Or after a some fermenting has happened?