Coopers Community

The Effects of Hops

Journeyman

22 hours ago, NewBrews said:

As for the two kit yeasts, I’d probably boil them in some water with some malt and then toss them in as yeast nutrient. If they are that far out of date they probably aren’t much chop by now.

It occurs to me I may have ingredients for nutrient - the boil will kill the yeast, correct?

Over the past few years I have been making bread at home - the Laucke flour bags always come with 2 x large packs of yeast so I have better than 200 gm bread yeast sitting in the fridge - this would be suitable to make a nutrient soup for my brews?

Edited by Journeyman

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Any yeast would work if it's being boiled, but given the kit yeast is probably pretty much cactus, it makes sense to use it rather than something you might end up using in your bread.

I use maybe 5 or so gms per loaf. 😄 Not only do I have enough for 40 loaves, every new bag of flour brings more. 

And the more nutrients in the brew for the good yeast the better... right? 😄 Is there an upper limit?

6 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Apparently bread yeast can be used to brew beer. But what did did everyone say about running before walking? You're flirting with a big experiment as a fledgling brewer. 

I did some research on that - bread yeast CAN be used but the products are different to beer yeast. Beer yeasts are bred to produce alcohol while bread yeast strongly produce CO2 to make the bubbles in the bread.

I figure I have the old cans of draught, a can of Dark Ale that is NOT old, and several FV's - can't hurt to run brews side-by-side, one fairly stock and one that might make it or might not.

• Like 1