Coopers Community

Kegging Carbonation Questions

James Lao

Hi Brew Legends,

Finally got my tax return,  so can  get my kegerator set up (!!), but I am not back from work  for a couple of weeks.

Can someone please tell me  if the Kegland website is down or just the  companies firewall has suddenly blocked access to that particular site??!!

Secondly,  I  am thinking I will  keg a 23-24L brew and fill one 19L keg as normal and the 4 or so litres in the second one.

Then fast carb both at  40psi at 20 hours and set back to normal after burping etc.,

Would the carbonation be different on the second  - less filled keg over carbed /under carbed?

If so, was thinking to leave the partially filled keg not connected to gas until I have set the reg to normal serving pressure, then put them both on 12psi or whatever?

Would the less filled keg take longer to carb ?

Hoping that by the time I had got through the first keg the partially filled one would be well carbed?

Cheers

James

Just read that last post and it didn’t make sense.!

I am working on a remote site and sometimes companies block access to certain websites.

Was wondering if anyone can get on the Kegland website?

Finally got the dough but can’t get my kegerator order in!

Cant ring them cos it’s Saturday - aaahgghhh!

Cheers

James

1 hour ago, James Lao said:

Would the fast carb method need to be tweaked to account for less beer volume and more head-space do you think?

I have no idea  ... The fast carb method to me is a mystery.  It is something I just cant get right. I am yet to have success with it. I have used  both 20 psi and 30 psi for 48 hours  then serving pressure and still flat . Also used the 40 psi for 24 and still flat ... for mine it still takes a few days at serving pressure after the quick carb method regardless of which method used to get decent carbonisation ...  but maybe that is just me ... 

Hey marty. 20 or 30 for 48 hours wont cut it in my experience. I use 40 for 48 hours if im fast carbing. If i really need to hurry it ill go 60 for 24 hours. Have done the rock and roll method too. I prefer the serving pressure method as i have been 2 or 3 hours out in some instances and its over carbed. The serving pressure method also allows the beer to settle and clear as well.

I found when I was kegging that 40psi for 24 hours, then burped and set to serving pressure got me drinkable beer.

But it still took about another day or 2 after that to be good.

Its more the convenience of having drinkable draft beer the day after packaging that works for me.

Anyway thanks for the replies, thankfully I will be kegging again soon and will try some experimenting with the carb’ing methods.

Cheers

James

Try the iKegger website, they do keg systems designed for 23L batches if you can be bothered. They have a 19L and a 4L with a daisy chain set up. Forget how much it was. But I just use the 4l for soda water or whatever. I like the smaller style kegs anyway, way more convenient for my setup. I got two 5L and one 10L. Real nice sizes. 

So I just kegged my first beer in two kegs: 19L into a standard size keg and and 4L into a 6L keg.  Because I ferment in glass carboys, which are very heavy when full, and use a chest freezer as my fermentation chamber, I only fill my carboy to 18L, to save myself 4kg, and then top up the volume to 23L at bottling time (now kegging time). Since adding water also adds oxygen, I realized I ought to carbonate this with priming sugar in the keg, as per PB2's method, so that the yeast can clean up the oxygen. I put 70gm of sugar in the 19L keg and 14gm in the small keg containing 4L. Now I have to wait for two weeks after which I will have to burp the kegs and gas at serving pressure, which is what, 4PSI?

Question, as some of you know, I actually drink my beer at ambient temperature most of the time, which in Canada is around 21C. Would this affect / change what serving pressure I should use? Would I need a higher pressure? 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Christina.

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

The serving pressure method also allows the beer to settle and clear as well.

I am not unhappy with my results just a bit frustrated.  I am sort of the same as @James Lao I get a drinkable beer, for an Ale, so lightly carbonated but by day 2 or 3 after tapping it is near perfect .... So Greeny a question, I have several kegs which are now full and conditioning which will not need tapping for probably a month or more. I have 2 gas bottles. Is it best for me to hit them both with say 30-40psi then have 1 at serving pressure for a week then do the other. In other words carbonate them fully while they are conditioning ... 

When i keep full kegs not on tap they are almost always lagering in my lager fridge. I dont carbonate them just burp them and hit them with pressure to seal the lid then they sit there. If keeping a keg in the ambient for a month or two i usually do a natural carb method. I have force carbonated and left it in ambient as well and that does work too. Just make sure you get the air out of the headspace and you will be fine to hold it for a month or two.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

...If keeping a keg in the ambient for a month or two i usually do a natural carb method. I have force carbonated and left it in ambient as well and that does work too. Just make sure you get the air out of the headspace and you will be fine to hold it for a month or two.

I haven't done this yet, but all you need is approx. a teaspoon or tablespoon of sugar yes? 🤔