Coopers Community

LDM vs LME

AlanT58

7 minutes ago, Dr. Hackenbushel said:

Not entirely interchangeable. LME has a higher percentage of water compared to DME. I forget how much exactly but LME = DME x 0.8 or something like that 

DME = LME x 0.8

So 1kg DME = 1.25kg LME

and

1.5kg LME = 1.2kg DME

1 hour ago, Dr. Hackenbushel said:

Check your math. 

LME = DME x 0.8

1.5 = 1.5 x 0.8 = 1.25

Leaving out the numbers, the equation is incorrect. The conversions should be:

DME = LME x 0.8

LME = DME / 0.8

All good. I had to triple check it to make sure (and I am still nervous hitting Submit Reply)

• 2 weeks later...

DME gives more gravity points as well per gram from what I’ve read. 

Whilst we’re talking maths and partial extracts. 

If you wanna swap grains for dry malt. Is there a simple formula. 

I’ve had a look online but it seems to be complex as you need to know your desired gravities etc. 

i was thinking surely there’s an easier/ simpler conversion 

I.e an all grain recipe asks for 4.5 kgs of 2 row 

how much do you reduce the grain bill by if you wanna use some dry malt extract ( I understand you still require some two row )

You can completely replace grain with extract. I don't think there would be a simple formula though because it would have to assume that all grain mashes extracted the same amount of sugars per kg of grain, which just isn't the case. In other words, different recipes from different brewers would require different amounts of grain to arrive at the same OG.

The easiest way would be to use something like Ian's spreadsheet and just add enough extract to the recipe to match the target OG. If there are any spec malt additions, add them in first then top up the OG with extract. 

(Q) Are Lme& dme interchangeable?

Yes! ( Lme k/g÷0.8=dme) 

(Q) Flavour wise ?

They are Apples and orange's in my opinion!

Liquid malt extract (on it's own), has a canned flavour.. a sort of metallic over tone, i remmember (Christina s1) called it a "twang" from memory...sort of summed it up for me too.

Whilst (dme) dried malt extract, has a sort of powdery... characterless flavour about it's..some what a...(i dont know)...a neutral malt flavour.

Depending on the recpice.. use both.

1 hour ago, blurred said:

(Q) Are Lme& dme interchangeable?

Yes! ( Lme k/g÷0.8=dme) 

(Q) Flavour wise ?

They are Apples and orange's in my opinion!

Liquid malt extract (on it's own), has a canned flavour.. a sort of metallic over tone, i remmember (Christina s1) called it a "twang" from memory...sort of summed it up for me too.

Whilst (dme) dried malt extract, has a sort of powdery... characterless flavour about it's..some what a...(i dont know)...a neutral malt flavour.

Depending on the recpice.. use both.

Use both! You sold them both so well 😁

well thanks to all for confusin the hell out of my tiny brain. Guess ill be stickin to the recipes until i learn where an when i can fudge it.

but i am now real keen to work up to grains and expand my very limited brewing knowledge.

Thanks again and Cheers

Al

Yeah apologies alant, that was hardly my finest post matey, it was getting late & i was struggling to articulate.

I suspect the point i was alluding to was, both dme & lme work brilliantly together,  on there own can slightly taste different uless your using grain and the ingredients are very fresh ingredients, at least, it seems that way to me.

Happy brewing matey -

Archived