Coopers Community

Bottle capping question

Thirsty Jim

On 11/15/2018 at 1:52 PM, Potatoes said:

If you wrote a book on how to get your wife to help out with home Brew, I’d buy it! 

James I also like your style!

It is about picking the right one to begin with. I guess you didn't discuss brewing before getting married. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 4:36 AM, Alpaca Brew said:

It is about picking the right one to begin with. I guess you didn't discuss brewing before getting married. 

Actually, she bought my homebrew kit as a wedding present.  Thanks for the marital tips though!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So do you have to use a special cap if capping twist top bottles? I'm a little concerned that ordinary caps won't seal properly. I have both types of bottles available and over time I could just build up my store of the normal pry off kind. 

Well I was trying to work out the physics without having any expertise in that area! I suppose that so long as there enough of the cap clamping on the bottle the rubbery bit on the underside of the cap which actually seals the bottle could do the trick. Might make a few experiments and see what happens.

23 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

Well I was trying to work out the physics without having any expertise in that area! I suppose that so long as there enough of the cap clamping on the bottle the rubbery bit on the underside of the cap which actually seals the bottle could do the trick. Might make a few experiments and see what happens.

I use the normal caps with the bench capper on screw top stubbies and  king browns no dramas with them sealing👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonPolo said:

So do you have to use a special cap if capping twist top bottles? I'm a little concerned that ordinary caps won't seal properly. I have both types of bottles available and over time I could just build up my store of the normal pry off kind. 

I reuse the original twist tops. They twist off and will twist back on again. You can use them over and over again, never a problem.I have lost count of the number of cycles some of mine have done. A rinse off after use,store away,a soak in sanitiser on bottling day,and all is well.

33 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

My missus is awesome. She doesn’t like beer but she absolutely respects my beer and BBQ hobby

My wife respects I'm only spending hundreds of dollars a year on beer instead of the thousands I was spending before I started home brewing.

• Haha 3

Mine likes a beer or two on the weekends, but she sometimes likes to have a whinge that I'm always doing beer or bacon and we never do anything together on weekends. Until I remind her I haven't brewed for six weeks or done bacon for a month or so. Plenty of opportunities 🙄

• Haha 1