Coopers Community

Finnings

imoulsdale

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Martkos said:

Do the finings make much difference?

Only to the clarity of the beer. Some allegedly strip flavour as well but that hasn't been my experience with the ones I use. This is a glass of a pilsner treated with isinglass and polyclar prior to being kegged, poured just now. 

IMG_20181110_134905.thumb.jpg.1e63cb9fd7c5540c6222c9432bcafe86.jpg

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Only to the clarity of the beer. Some allegedly strip flavour as well but that hasn't been my experience with the ones I use. This is a glass of a pilsner treated with isinglass and polyclar prior to being kegged, poured just now. 

IMG_20181110_134905.thumb.jpg.1e63cb9fd7c5540c6222c9432bcafe86.jpg

Looks bloody good.

That's why I use them, however they are most effective when the beer is cold. I chill the beer down while it's still in the fermenter and add these things to it while cold, isinglass first to drop yeast, then polyclar the next day to remove chill haze. Then keg it 4-5 days after the polyclar is added. They drop out into the trub and don't end up in the keg.

I use this regime on pretty much every batch; pale ales are of most concern to me with flavour stripping, primarily hops, but I haven't noticed a detrimental effect from using these agents in them. I have read that gelatine can strip hop flavour, but i don't like it for the reason that it makes the sediment fluffy and easily disturbed, in my experience anyway, which defeats its purpose. 

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's why I use them, however they are most effective when the beer is cold. I chill the beer down while it's still in the fermenter and add these things to it while cold, isinglass first to drop yeast, then polyclar the next day to remove chill haze. Then keg it 4-5 days after the polyclar is added. They drop out into the trub and don't end up in the keg.

Is it unusual to use polyclar during cold crash rather than for the final 10m of boil (like Whirlfloc)?

12 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Is it unusual to use polyclar during cold crash rather than for the final 10m of boil (like Whirlfloc)?

No, polyclar itself is a post fermentation agent. Brewbrite which is used in the boil does contain polyclar as well but I didn't find it helped a whole lot with chill haze on its own. Very effective at dropping hot break out though which is why I use it. 

I use gelatin.

Havent found my beers less hoppy or  flavoursome, use the Brulosophy method of adding it.

Half a teaspoon in 63 degC water (130ml), stir until no lumps then add to fermenter during Cold Crash.

Clearer beers and less post consumption trumpeting the morning after, much to the approval of wife and daughter ( 6 year old son didn't mind the farting though, he thought it was hilarious)!

Winners  all round!

Cheers

James

I use gelatin on any beer i want clear. Saisons or belgians i dont use any post fermentation finings at all. If im bottling then ill add in the fermenter during cold crash. If im kegging i just add it to the keg before i rack the finished beer on top of it. It makes for a shithouse first pour but then again it always is yeasty anyway even if fining has happened before it so i only throw out the same amount anyway. 

As far as stripping hop influence i haven't seen it. Then again i dont dry hop as much anymore. Prefer keg hopping.

3 hours ago, Worthog said:

If Polyclar Brewbrite is a kettle clarifyer, what is Polyclar for post fermentation?

If it is simply nylon dust, how do you remove it from your drinking beer?

Cheers

It's Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone. Sounds big and scary but it is harmless. Brewbrite is a mixture of it and carrageenan I believe. 

My LHBS has 250g for $17 which I can't beat even for lesser weights + postage from other suppliers. The PVPP I am going to buy is described to be used for wine. Will this be ok in your opinion? Given I'll only be using 5-10g per 23L of wort it will last forever. (?) 

Cheers

2 hours ago, James Lao said:

I use gelatin.

Havent found my beers less hoppy or  flavoursome, use the Brulosophy method of adding it.

Half a teaspoon in 63 degC water (130ml), stir until no lumps then add to fermenter during Cold Crash.

Clearer beers and less post consumption trumpeting the morning after, much to the approval of wife and daughter ( 6 year old son didn't mind the farting though, he thought it was hilarious)!

Winners  all round!

Cheers

James

Hi James and others,

Do you just dump in the mixture or try to sprinkle it around to top of the fermented beer.

On a related matter, many of you harvest or wash your yeast for the next batch.  What effect, if any, do these clarifying additions have on that process?

Cheers Shamus

I just pour it in a bit of a circular motion from the Pyrex jug.

The yeast is negatively charged and gelatin is positively charged, so  they attract and then flocculate to the bottom of the FV.

I have noticed the the beer visibly dropping/clearing a day after putting the gelatin in, but this is also helped by the cold crash.

I harvest from starters so no issues with hops/gelatin/strong gravities affecting the yeast.

Cheers

James

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone. Sounds big and scary but it is harmless. Brewbrite is a mixture of it and carrageenan I believe. 

I make a rule not to ingest things I can't pronounce..... Banned all Dihydrogen monoxide after my anti vaxxer housemate sent me some YouTube links about the dangers. 

I no longer use tin foil for my hats either since " big foil " have changed the formula so that the weather controlling reptile / mole people can still control your thoughts , now use a home made hat of Himalayan rock salt I grew myself 

#MAGA #SHEEPLES #WokeAF 

Hi Shamus, like James I harvest from starters as well so no issues with the agents in the yeast. 

I also don't get yeasty first pours from my kegs, for some reason it all compacts well before I pour the first one, although I do discard the first 50mL or so anyway because it's usually a bit flat from sitting in the beer line not being carbonated (if carbing at serving pressure I hook up the tap at the same time so some beer gets pushed up the line).

Archived