Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Advent calendar, day 17: Flor Saison, a farmhouse ale by La Sirène Brewing. It has all the typical farmhouse traits with its funky flavours and a decent sourness. There is some oak flavour from the fermentation in oak vessels. I like it but wouldn’t want to drink it every day. 

IMG_9688.thumb.jpeg.d9dc4a1ade27edd57f60fe5da104e50c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 17 - Little Bang Brewery - Utopia Californian Pale Ale

• Apricot/Peach aromas
  • Slightly harsh bitterness - a bit like orange rind
  • It had a dry, kind of watery finish
  • By the time I finished it, I did not mind the flavour.  However, it took 3/4's of a glass to accept it.
  • 6/10

IMG_4132.thumb.JPG.c4efe6cff364acabe188d0b116507125.JPG

• Like 4

On 12/16/2023 at 8:46 PM, Popo the Degenerate said:

I'd be keen for a Coopers@Coopers DIY Beer Team advent calendar 😉

Any chance for next year?

I like the idea too, but perhaps put a twist on it and make it a Aussie summer holiday one for post Christmas. I get way too busy in the lead up to Christmas to really appreciate tasting beer, but once Christmas comes me and the fridge resume our relationship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 18 - Green Beacon Brewing - Strawberry Creaming Soda Ice Cream Sour

• It has the "sour" aroma plus vanilla
  • Loads of vanilla/lactose flavour plus strawberry, then the sour zing on the follow-up
  • Reminds me of strawberries and cream lollies, but with a sour patch kids coating
  • Some folks will not like this brew.  However, I thought it was great
  • 8.5/10

IMG_4134.thumb.JPG.d933eb443c8b359095ff4b93629c2cc8.JPG

• Like 3

Orval Trappist Ale, Brasserie d'Orval

IMG_20231218_223428404.thumb.jpg.1a761f73b28d3b5928775e4983e146b6.jpg

A herbal/medicinal aroma with some kind of fruity (stone fruit/dried fruit?) hint. There are cidery and herbal flavours with a distinct Brettanomyces character.

Definitely not a session ale, not for me at least.

• Like 5

On 12/17/2023 at 12:23 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Advent calendar, day 17: Flor Saison, a farmhouse ale by La Sirène Brewing. It has all the typical farmhouse traits with its funky flavours and a decent sourness. There is some oak flavour from the fermentation in oak vessels. I like it but wouldn’t want to drink it every day. 

IMG_9688.thumb.jpeg.d9dc4a1ade27edd57f60fe5da104e50c.jpeg

La Sirene have just opened up their new brewery and tap room only a few blocks away from where I live. I haven't been there yet but I'm hoping to get there soon. They seem to be highly regarded.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Orval Trappist Ale, Brasserie d'Orval

IMG_20231218_223428404.thumb.jpg.1a761f73b28d3b5928775e4983e146b6.jpg

A herbal/medicinal aroma with some kind of fruity (stone fruit/dried fruit?) hint. There are cidery and herbal flavours with a distinct Brettanomyces character.

Definitely not a session ale, not for me at least.

Good onya kegs you go through so many discomforts for this forum 🤣🤣

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Haha 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 19 - Bridge Road Brewers - Fog Jnr - Hazy Mid

• Plenty of pineapple and citrus aroma
  • Lots of flavour for a mid-strength
  • Quite good mouthfeel
  • Mild bitterness to suit the lower ABV, but the hop notes give it some extra flavour
  • 7/10 for what it is, but 6/10 based on the standard of brews in the calendar so far

I often wonder if the breweries are allocated a beer to brew or if they nominate one or a couple and the Beer Cartel Crew select the one they want the brewery to make.  In this case, Bridge Road Brewers picked the short straw.

IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.1f6a11e954a282d6d57f8a105402ac53.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 20 - Good Land Brewing - Steez! - American White IPA (A combo of American IPA and Belgian Wit)

• Citrus aroma with subdued spiciness
  • Good flavours with a clean easy to drink note
  • Reasonable bitterness, but pretty balanced
  • More American IPA than Belgian Wit
  • Very nice 8/10

IMG_4143.thumb.JPG.bf7fab5a8a356e2c30376a3cc92d090f.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 20 - Good Land Brewing - Steez! - American White IPA (A combo of American IPA and Belgian Wit)

• Citrus aroma with subdued spiciness
  • Good flavours with a clean easy to drink note
  • Reasonable bitterness, but pretty balanced
  • More American IPA than Belgian Wit
  • Very nice 8/10

IMG_4143.thumb.JPG.bf7fab5a8a356e2c30376a3cc92d090f.JPG

That's very clear for an IPA Shamus, but with your high rating I suggest you are enjoying it.

Pardon my question, you do not seem to be a heady beer sort of guy, that's cool if you like it that way, just saying that's all.

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's very clear for an IPA Shamus, but with your high rating I suggest you are enjoying it.

Pardon my question, you do not seem to be a heady beer sort of guy, that's cool if you like it that way, just saying that's all.

West Coast IPAs are generally clearer.  However, they usually have more Crystal Malts that add colour and sweetness.  By comparison, to achieve the White moniker, this brew is probably Pilsner and Wheat Malt.  This was a good beer.

When it comes to froth, I can take it or leave it.  I do not robustly pour a can into a glass.  I suppose I would rather have more liquid than froth.  When pouring from my kegerator, if I get a good froth in the glass, I will leave it sit on the drip tray under the tap for a couple of minutes and go back and top it up once the froth has died down.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

West Coast IPAs are generally clearer.  However, they usually have more Crystal Malts that add colour and sweetness.  By comparison, to achieve the White moniker, this brew is probably Pilsner and Wheat Malt.  This was a good beer.

When it comes to froth, I can take it or leave it.  I do not robustly pour a can into a glass.  I suppose I would rather have more liquid than froth.  When pouring from my kegerator, if I get a good froth in the glass, I will leave it sit on the drip tray under the tap for a couple of minutes and go back and top it up once the froth has died down.

OK, Shamus I understand, that's cool, each to their own, I guess. I have a couple of mates who share your view. All good.

Merry Xmas mate.

• Like 1