Coopers Community

Lower ABV Saison - Coopers Recipe

rac

I was going to do the Coopers Recipe, https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/saison.html with the belle saison yeast for which I have the ingredients already.

Having a fridge full of high ABV beer I was thinking it would be nice to have this recipe closer to 5% than 6.5%.

Two easiest things I could do is just increase the brew volume to drop the OG, drop the 500g of LDME, or a combination of both.

Because the yeast attenuation is expected to be so high, I was thinking it probably doesn't matter too much how I go about it.

If anyone has tried the above or have an opinion please share.

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, rac said:

I was going to do the Coopers Recipe, https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/saison.html with the belle saison yeast for which I have the ingredients already.

I've brewed this recipe twice. Once exactly as is listed, & the other time simply subbing the hop "Ella" in place of the "Saaz". Both turned out very well.

13 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

drop the apa can.... and you will have a really nice low abv brew.

but whatever you do it won't hurt it.

I'm not so sure about that. If you drop the APA can the recipe becomes very wheat forward.

I'd be more inclined to lower the LDM amount by no more than half else you risk too big a shift in flavours & balances for what is essentially a "Toucan" recipe.

The DIY recipes are developed to create intended balances in specific areas inline with the beer categories they fall into. When you start @#$%ing with them you shift those balances out of whack to the point the resultant beer can be a bare shadow of the advised recipe & it's intended flavours.

Some recipes fair better than others with minor changes, some don't fair as well. Do this at your own risk.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It drinks well fairly early on as most of the flavour of the beer is yeast derived & the bulk of that character is produced through the fermentation process, not generally through ageing the beer. The yeast traditionally has very high attenuation that leaves a very low gravity & low malt derived flavour in the beer, hence ageing it excessively doesn't really seem imperative or highly beneficial given it's base flavours once secondary fermented (carbonated).

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

59 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

It drinks well fairly early on as most of the flavour of the beer is yeast derived & the bulk of that character is produced through the fermentation process, not generally through ageing the beer. The yeast traditionally has very high attenuation that leaves a very low gravity & low malt derived flavour in the beer, hence ageing it excessively doesn't really seem imperative or highly beneficial given it's base flavours once secondary fermented (carbonated).

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

makes sense, thanks. 

22 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Agree. All of my saisons are just as good at 3 months as they are at 1 month to my taste buds.

Have found only two instances in my brewing experience where I bother to age it. Stouts which I "try" to leave for at least 3 months or the high ABV beers where it takes the edge off the alcohol over time. 

Interesting article below with there guide. 

https://vinepair.com/articles/beer-aging-guide/

Beer ABV Years
Belgian Dubbel 6.5-7.5% 1-3
Belgian Tripel 7.5-9.5% 1-4
English or American strong/old ale 7-9% 1-5
Belgian strong dark ales 8.5-11% 2-12
Imperial pale/brown/red, etc. 7.5-10% 1-7
Barley wine 8.5-12% 3-20
Imperial stout 8.5-12% 3-20
Ultra-strong ales 16-26% 5-100

12 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Then realise your cleaning and sanitising wasn’t up to scratch ha ha ha

I’m pretty disappointed with a strong dunkelweizen I experimented with after 6+ months, when the alcohol calmed down so did everything else good and bad. Can’t imagine how much it would suck to wait 5 years for a failed project!

Other than ABV, my first impression is something to age would need to start with more body and probably less reliant on yeast derived flavours. A higher FG would have helped that batch significantly.

So I had some concern about trying a Saison which might start out a little aggressive, if it’s good to go from the start then I’m happy.

14 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

@Greeny1525229549 one with white labs Saison 2 the other with the one you recommended if I can find that post.

Was it a MJ branded one?

Think it was belle saison. Its a good yeast with good flavor and doesn't stuff you around. Have a split batch with 2 10L batches on the go at the moment. The belle saison has taken my brew down to 1005 in 5 days while the 3724 dupont yeast has shit itself at 1030 again. Open fermented this one so so much for the theory about pressure causing it to stall. Am stirring up some belle saison to finish it off. Not patient enough to wait a month for it to finish.

Let me know how the saison 2 works. 

Sorry to here about your stall there @Greeny1525229549. Hopefully that belle brings it down for ya. 

Ive tried belle and I think it’s ok. I do prefer WL Saison 2 more though.

I do think you mentioned the MJ29 for some reason but I can not find the post anywhere. 

Ill probably go for yeast in the second brew as I don’t have another flask and stir plate yet.

Ill be trying the “standard” liquid yeasts next  Saisons I brew.

Archived