Coopers Community

Newbie Needs Help !!!

Depthangel

9 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Norris... thanks mate for the ideas. I am reluctant to open up my FV to dry hop before bottling as my under the house atmosphere has some musty issues at present (I'm on a crusade to remedy this).  I shall only be a 'can' recipe brewer until I'm fluent with the 'KISS' brewing techniques, but your suggestion of yeast tinkering with cans does intrigue.  Any quick reference charts or tables to reference for my next attempt? 

Welcome to the WOMBAT hole

Bring the FV out from under the house, dry hop it and then put it back.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For dry yeast, I like Mangrove Jack's yeasts. They have a large selection to read about and choose from. Imperial yeasts is good too if looking for liquid, it comes in 200 billion cell count packages which is ready to dump in, other liquid yeasts you need to build it up to 200billion cells. I like clean yeasts, M54 is one of my favorites right next to M42 and M44.

https://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Looks really good. I have a lot of swing top bottles of different volumes. 440ml Grolsh, 500ml Bernard and some 330ml ones. For 440ml and 500ml i always used 2 drops per bottle and never had an issue at all ..... (dont wanna jinx it). For the 330ml i use 1 drop. Just make sure the fermentation is complete and you will be sweet. I always bottle 1 or 2 bottles in the PET Coopers bottles with 2 drops as you can check on the carbonation by squuezing the bottles ..... let us know how did the beer turn out ..... best of luck

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Surprised you haven't had any bombs putting two drops in a 440mL bottle. I reckon one would be enough, it's not really much more than a standard 375mL stubby.

Yeah i am surprised too i may try one for the next batch but yeah no issues at all

anyone able to point me in the direction of a DECENT bottle filler?

Crappy piece of spring fuct up not even 50 bottles done. I know...I know, these home brew shop starter kits are cheap but at least it got me into this hobby.

And before you all start proselytsing about kegging...., JoeB7 enjoys the tranquility of "popping a cap" on it

No clue, I have one of the older style fermenters with those plastic taps that come with the water drums from Bunnings and used to use a short length of plastic tube inserted into the tap. No spring loaded things or valves, just turned the tap itself on and off. It worked fine for the thousands of bottles I did before I got the shits with bottling ?

If you have the DIY Beer FV with snap-tap fitted, you could try removing the blue bits (just using the tube).  Turn the flow on and off with the tap.  Surface tension will usually hold the tube full with beer while you grab the next empty bottle.  Keep a bucket underneath just in case the tube does empty itself. 

Archived