Coopers Community

All Grain for Newbies

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

I had a question for the knowledgeable folk .Adding hops in hot cubing to add no bitterness just aroma/taste what temp is best  70c or less  thanks in advance Brian

Below 80 will impart no bitterness. 

My understanding to pull as much flavour out from hops is at 75 for around the 15-20 mins mark.

The usual advice is to cube the wort at 80 or above. If it's only overnight then you can probably get away with cubing it under 80. However, you can account for the small amount of bitterness that cube hops will provide when creating recipes. I usually cube my wort around 90 degrees although it loses a few degrees during the transfer. All I do is reduce the amount of bitterness from the long boiled addition a little. Beers turn out great.

Kelsey is right, the temp of cubing should be above 80c, like canning/preserving foods, temp is vital in reducing nasty crap like botulism in food stuffs. If it was only overnight then you could get away with a bit lower. 

I cube at 82-84. That’s because after I add a hop dose at flameout for 15 mins then I whirlpool and stand for 15 to get all the hot break etc into the middle of the kettle. By that time it is around that temp. My recipes are designed around this process. 

Like I said, below 80 will impart no bitterness and flavour extraction is best at 75, if I had a chiller I would do things completely different. For a hoppy pale/IPA I would add a larger bittering addition, then a smaller flameout addition, chill to 75, addition, chill to 50-45 addition. Chill and pitch. 

Captain 

8 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Kelsey is right, the temp of cubing should be above 80c, like canning/preserving foods, temp is vital in reducing nasty crap like botulism in food stuffs. If it was only overnight then you could get away with a bit lower. 

I cube at 82-84. That’s because after I add a hop dose at flameout for 15 mins then I whirlpool and stand for 15 to get all the hot break etc into the middle of the kettle. By that time it is around that temp. My recipes are designed around this process. 

Like I said, below 80 will impart no bitterness and flavour extraction is best at 75, if I had a chiller I would do things completely different. For a hoppy pale/IPA I would add a larger bittering addition, then a smaller flameout addition, chill to 75, addition, chill to 50-45 addition. Chill and pitch. 

Captain 

I have read about adding at around 50c for some hops  this is only my second all grain but I tasted my first Citra/MO  smash   and is pretty tame but a nice drop.I did 20g fwh and 20g in the cube over night and filtered it into the fv. Is hazy as I didn't add Whirlfloc   at the end of boil or Gelatine and that adds another question is it a good time to add it when you are cold crashing???? gelatine that is anyhow this  is the  Smash conditioned 20c13days

citra allgrain smash.JPG

I hate gelatine but the cold crash would be the time to add it if you're gonna use it. It may not fix the haze issue caused by not using kettle finings though. A combination of isinglass and polyclar couldn't even clear up one when I didn't use a kettle fining.

You won't be able to add hops at 50 degrees if you're no chilling it. Don't worry about adding bitterness with late and cube additions anyway, simply reduce the amount going in at FWH or 60 minutes to account for it. I add hops at 10 minutes, flameout and in the cube and they are spot on for bitterness because the early addition is just topping it up. It's usually 10g or less, but sometimes is more if the hop is a low AA% hop. My next one contains about 60-70g Vic Secret in late additions and just a 5g Magnum addition at 60. 

I really appreciate the help guys and Thanks Kelsey   I can chill if needed  as I have chiller but its my 2nd all grain brew I think I will keep it simple 5- 10 of simcoe fwh + 30 - 40g of each of mosaic and Citra as later additions and in the cube  and see how I go . cheer and thanks

2 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Thought as much. I've completed 2 AG brews now and have not done a whirlpool on both. I might give it a go on the next brew and see the difference. Cheers Greeny.

Cheers,

Hoppy

Whirlfloc will help collagulate the trub and other matter in the centre too. 

Captain

Just now, The Captain1525230099 said:

Whirlfloc will help collagulate the trub and other matter in the centre too. 

Captain

Yeah i've used whirfloc each time which settles everything to the bottom but there is always a few litres of hop matter and proteins etc that i don't put in the fermenter obviously, but just wondering if i do the whirlpool if i can salvage some more for the fermenter?

Cheers,
Hoppy

I notice a lot of brewers on here FWH (First Wort Hop). When I AG with a 5kg grain batch and FWH, at or during mash out, and say I'm using 20g SAAZ and 20g Cascade, how much should I toss into the wort for FWH?  Could I assume around 15-20g of the SAAZ, with the Cascade late hopped during the final 15 and 7 minutes of the boil?

Cheers. 

I FWH every time. Amounts all depend on the recipe. Most of my flavour hops are added in the last 10 mins or as a whirlpool addition. 

I pull my grains out and place in a bucket within a bucket to drain, turn the heat on and add my FWH commando style. 

20g Saaz as a FWH for a 60min boil will give you approximately 8.5 IBUS. 

You'd add them after mash out. Amounts and what not depend on the recipe. I usually only do it with pale ales and lagers. 

My method mimics the proper method as best I can with my setup. I add them after the grain bag has finished draining then let them steep for 20-25 minutes before turning on the heat to bring it to boil. 

did my second all grain just finished the mash and  hot cubed  if my efficiency works out  I should end up with a red ipa  23L in the fermenter OG: 1061  safale be256 yeast hops fwh 10g simcoe

then           30g Citra and 15g lupnul n2 mosaic cubed at 82c    I estimate the ibu's 44  approx. somebody correct me if I am wrong  cheers Brian

well I didn't do a neipa I did a Red ipa with Be256 yeast why a Belgian yeast I like it in hoppy beer I have done coopers extract with it heaps but is the first time in all grain anyhow .I put in my figures I was aiming for 70% brewhouse which I hit smack on  pleased with that . Had a taste when I used the hydrometer smooth  compared to the first brew and that I thought was pretty  good . So 2 bonuses the brewhouse on my first brew was 64% and on this was 70% as I changed a couple of things in mashing procedure  so all good this was the grain bill

KG's

.1 x Weyermann - Carared

.1 x Briess - Midnight Wheat

1.5 x Best Malz - Wheat Malt

.1 x Best Malz - Melanoidin

.2 x Joe White - Cara Malt

.3 Dextrose

1 x Joe White - Export Pilsner

3 x Golden Promise

hops 10g simcoe for bittering and 30g citra and 15g lupnul n2 mosaic for aroma and taste

cheers  Brian

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, therealthing691 said:

well I didn't do a neipa I did a Red ipa with Be256 yeast why a Belgian yeast I like it in hoppy beer I have done coopers extract with it heaps but is the first time in all grain anyhow .I put in my figures I was aiming for 70% brewhouse which I hit smack on  pleased with that . Had a taste when I used the hydrometer smooth  compared to the first brew and that I thought was pretty  good . So 2 bonuses the brewhouse on my first brew was 64% and on this was 70% as I changed a couple of things in mashing procedure  so all good this was the grain bill

KG's

.1 x Weyermann - Carared

.1 x Briess - Midnight Wheat

1.5 x Best Malz - Wheat Malt

.1 x Best Malz - Melanoidin

.2 x Joe White - Cara Malt

.3 Dextrose

1 x Joe White - Export Pilsner

3 x Golden Promise

hops 10g simcoe for bittering and 30g citra and 15g lupnul n2 mosaic for aroma and taste

cheers  Brian

I did the Above mentioned recipe. Fwh with simcoe .The Citra and mosaic n2 at 82c into the cube  pitched be256 at 20c cooled to 18c over 4hrs .  This is the first time I have used a brew fridge. I am amazed at the difference in taste as we do before bottling/kegging .So smooth no twang  .If it tastes as good after carbonation I kick myself for not doing it earlier .Here is a picture of the colour and clarity  before bottling not bad for my second all grain I think cheers and thanks for the help guys Ps only used whirlfloc

DSCN5968.JPG

DSCN5971.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Archived