Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

On a separate thread I mentioned that my assistant brewer Angus was coming around on Sat 1/7 for a BrewBQ (aka Brew n Q). The brew went well and the recipe discussion is on this page.

This thread i all about the meat! Harris Farm had some Cape Grim short rib for $17/kg so I bought a few plates/racks. Since it was only the two of us eating (plus my 1.5yr old daughter) I didn't crank out the big boy 20" offset smoker, but opted for where it all began, my humble hand-me-down Weber.

Very efficient on charcoal using the snake method. I set it up on Fri night and Sat morning lit 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal for 30mins, then dumped it on the head of the snake.

For this cook I used chunks of oak and placed them along the charcoal snake and they ignited as it burnt down.

Meat went on after the kettle got to temp (250-275F) and then I took my son to swimming.

This is the beef rib slathered with Franks Hot Sauce, then generously rubbed with coarse salt and black pepper before placing on the smoker:

95449B10-8B76-415C-8098-D5762A94CF64.jpg

Took my son swimming, came back after three hours and the charcoal snake had done its thing without any intervention and the smoke had started to absorb into the meat nicely.

762ACEFD-7F98-4817-893E-76F3949D0FF2_1.jpg

At this point Angus arrived so we got the brew going. Brew n Q. Great way to spend a Saturday. Whilst enjoying some home brews too!

CD4B9E11-BBCF-4CBC-984D-3EAAA72E0A3E.jpg

The beef ribs took 8 hours at low and slow temps to break down and become deliciously tender, but still with enough bite and texture. Cape Grim is a great product and it is my first choice for beef. Tender and flavourful. I don't wrap my beef ribs, they are fatty enough to get away with it. I do spritz them with vingear+water for the last few hours.

72FCF3BB-1113-44E0-9483-B53EB7C48913.jpg

96509ABE-D2F9-4122-A12E-39632E10A39B.jpg

A3BCF04A-058B-47B1-8071-507049054C10.jpg

If you've ever thought about trying proper American low slow BBQ, stop thinking and just do it! It doesn't take much investment to get started and the meals are well worth the time and effort. It just cooks while you brew!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes, big fan here,

Brisket the other day with pork ribs thrown in half way through.

Many a pulled pork shoulder doen in the smoker here too.

I make my own bacon, ham and salami too.

I think I could smell this from my place - and it was good. Turns out we're a couple of hundred metres apart - and looking forward to a beer swap meet up this month.

When I have Angus 'round for a BBQ he doesn't enjoy it at all.

Hahaha David, I see what you did there. Well Cape Grim is grass-fed Black Angus, so I had Angus over to eat Angus. It was delicious.

Yes we are not far apart and you could probably smell the smoke wafting out from my backyard. I have a partial-mash Citra Pale Ale (3 Floyds Zombie Dust recipe) that I tried after just one week in the bottle and it is young, green but showing a lot of promise. I’ll definitely be giving you a couple of those. In the fermenter is another partial-mash, a Stone IPA, but it’s only a small batch (mucked up my numbers). Fermenter samples are good, reminds me of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Hops are very similar, Magnum/Perle/Centennial in the Stone IPA. Wil be dry hopping with Centennial and Chinook.

• 2 weeks later...

Brisket in at the moment. Put it on at about 7am. I have a new inkbird thermometer that I can access via my son's iPad. Two probes, one in the meat one in the smoker.

The brisket is organic and was given along with an order of scotch, rump, t-bone and patties that was delivered a few days ago. $16kg. Winning!

Thanks for that weblink Benny, good stuff there. I just went into town and picked up a fresh leg of lamb to throw on the Webber this arvo. Some good education there about slow cooking with charcoal and that leg of lamb will be going down nicely with an ale or 2 or 3 tonight.

Thx Ben, looks a good price for what it does. I'll get one. I've got a pocket digital which I use for my day to day work so I'll just use that today. Got the leg of lamb on and some hickory smoking chips.

Got the leg of lamb on and some hickory smoking chips.

Yum!

What Weber? I have a Q that is now used as just a barbie but I bought a Smokai smoke generator and used that with it for a while.

The Smokai now is drilled into the Hark smoker and I can cold smoke in there too.

Its a Webber charcoal burning kettle. Its was the top of the range about 7 yrs ago with the dial thermo on top etc. I just threw the hickory chips onto the smouldering charcoal in about 4 sessions when cooking. The lamb came out nice. I took the lamb to 80 degrees C internally. A little over done I think but a fairly slow cook and nice and even. Kept between 250 and 300 F webber temp. Next joint I will try and keep at 250 F and take the joint out in the 70's Celsius. Sorry about using 2 temperature scales. I liked F and PSI when we were using it.

Archived