Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, joolbag said:

I picked up a leg of pork from Aldi $4.99/kg and will cure it up for smoking as ham. Soooo much better than the commercial versions

My father in law does ham all the time and it’s absolutely awesome. 

BB

My leg ham attempt was inspired by your photos @Otto Von Blotto  and the purchase of Charcuterie book as recommended day you and @Ben 10. Have only scratched the surface of the recipes in that book.

My ham got a better reception than the bacon! Hmm better get to bringing this 3.5kg portion so I can smoke it in A week's time

I found it online. I figure it was boiled because of the longer curing time, to drive out some of the salt. 

I find I have to adjust the curing time depending on the size of the meat, not long enough and it doesn't penetrate all the way through. My last lot of bacon got a week or maybe 9 days but smaller cuts only need a few days.

Cheers

Kelsey

I got my curing salt today and I will go out and get a pork belly tomorrow. I will end up getting that book but money is right at the moment especially with someone hacking my PayPal and stealing $1412 from me f$&k f$&k f$&k. 

If someone could give me a wet cure recipe, just salt and water and length of time to cure, it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Beer Baron

I'm working off memory here, but my  cure for a 2kg piece is 350g salt (non iodised), 225g sugar (I use brown sugar) and 42g curing salt, usually in about 3L water. I scale the dry ingredients depending on the weight of the meat. The recipe in the book says 4 litres but that would overflow my pot with the meat in there. It doesn't seem to matter much though. 

For 2kg I leave it in the cure for a week, turning it over about halfway through. It's also weighed down with a plate to keep it submerged. When it comes out, I rinse it off with water, pat it dry then leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. I smoke it at about 80-90°C until the internal temperature reaches 65, then cool, cut the skin off and slice it. Half goes in the freezer and half in the fridge. I find it keeps for about 4-6 weeks in the fridge, plenty of time to eat it.

I normally make mine from loin rather than belly a la British bacon. Give it a try too, it's beautiful.

For hams I use the same cure with the addition of pickling spice, and use a slightly different process as outlined above.

Cheers

Kelsey

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm working off memory here, but my  cure for a 2kg piece is 350g salt (non iodised), 225g sugar (I use brown sugar) and 42g curing salt, usually in about 3L water. I scale the dry ingredients depending on the weight of the meat. The recipe in the book says 4 litres but that would overflow my pot with the meat in there. It doesn't seem to matter much though. 

For 2kg I leave it in the cure for a week, turning it over about halfway through. It's also weighed down with a plate to keep it submerged. When it comes out, I rinse it off with water, pat it dry then leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. I smoke it at about 80-90°C until the internal temperature reaches 65, then cool, cut the skin off and slice it. Half goes in the freezer and half in the fridge. I find it keeps for about 4-6 weeks in the fridge, plenty of time to eat it.

I normally make mine from loin rather than belly a la British bacon. Give it a try too, it's beautiful.

For hams I use the same cure with the addition of pickling spice, and use a slightly different process as outlined above.

Cheers

Kelsey

Thanks Kelsey. 

I’ll start with the belly this time and then move to the loin. 

Should I remove the thick skin on the belly and what does the sugar do besides adding sweetness??

Thanks

Baron I remove the skin after it is smoked, like Kelsey does. It is easy when the fat is nice n soft and warm.

I really want to get a loin and belly attached. Just like the commercial bacon slices. Best of both worlds!

There is a dry cure as well that I've used for bacon. I've only wet cure ham. Doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Curing is curing.

I find the brown sugar /maple adds a nice element of sweetness that doesn't exist in commercial bacon. Of all the batches I've made n given away, EVERYONE loves the maple bacon the most

Trust me, you can't taste the sugar in the final product. It's more there so it doesn't end up tasting like eating a spoonful of salt.

I forgot to add, I boil the cure mix then allow it to cool to room temp before refrigerating it overnight. The next day the meat goes in.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived