Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm taking mine out of its cure tomorrow arvo or evening, and will leave in the fridge before smoking it on Saturday and slicing Sunday. I find it slices better when it's been chilled in the fridge first. This one was only a 1.1kg piece, they didn't have any bigger there when I bought it.

I did my first two or three skinless. It doesn't seem to make any difference so I decided I'd just leave it on and remove it after smoking because it's easier then. After that I put it in the fridge and slice the next day. I have an electric meat slicer which makes that task easy as too.

Sliced my bacon this morning, and it has a small white patch in the middle. I'm assuming the cure didn't fully penetrate during the time it had. It still tastes good, but I think I'll have to start basing curing times on the height/thickness of the meat rather than the weight.

Cheers

Kelsey

I had that problem once on one of my early attempts, can't remember if I used too much salt or let it cure too long, but haven't run into it since. I just use the same ratios of salts and sugar every time. I've changed sugars a couple of times to experiment, using brown sugar at first, then I tried maple syrup and currently using dark brown sugar.

With curing time, you get the hang of it after a few goes and sort of instinctively know how long to leave it curing so it penetrates properly but doesn't end up too salty. I mucked up my last one though but have learnt from it and will modify my approach on future ones.

Cheers

Kelsey

6 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

What did you learn from that? My first attempt was way too salty too!

I learned that I clearly need to use less salt and actually rinse the pork off once it comes out of the wet cure. It is still very tasty and I am eating it all. You can’t throw bacon away. I love bacon and it’s my favourite food group!!!

BB

Yes, rinsing it off is an important part of the process. That alone may have resulted in it being less salty than it is. I find the ratios of salt used in the wet cure recipe I posted earlier to work well to provide a decent flavor that isn't over the top salty unless you leave it in the cure for something silly like 2 weeks or something. But I always rinse the meat when it comes out of the cure, and leave it to rest overnight in the fridge uncovered before smoking it the following day.

Archived